Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So you guys think that these pieces are part of the rear casting and thus permanent? Is the slope right for the red line shown above overlaid onto the cybertruck photograph? In the first photograph it seems too high, and what is the purpose? If the exoskeleton is carrying the loads then why would these pieces be needed? But if they are real then I understand @Crissa statement about the wings....not that we expected them to survive after the second-generation beta was shown at CyberRodeo.
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Looks fake to me. That casting makes no sense. And wheel well? On driver's side is closed off at bottom and casting sticks out past rear door. Fake fake fake

Bathbunny

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla first-production Model 3 (LR, RWD, EAP+FSD), red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I do not see the back end where the bed will be at all. Just the cab. Not even a front end. So how do we know about the wings from this photo? Is it possible that the front end and back end are separate pieces? I 'am' very interested in the rear casting shown here. I am not sure about the midgate as I can see a solid section there but am not sure if it means what it suggests given all of the other things going on in this photo. I am not sure what those jigs are holding the casting but I do not believe that they are part of the cybertruck.
You can see the wheel wells, then the rear casting above them and extending farther back -- that casting will support the bed.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Lots of food for thought in these photographs, and we have been so starved of any information, for so long, that this is welcome. I am not sure what to make of it yet, but I have every intention of thinking more about it and enjoying the ideas that come out here.

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Body Prototype Casting spied uncovered!! 😲 1670645083191

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Body Prototype Casting spied uncovered!! 😲 1670645124443

EDIT: Shout out to @anionic1 who made a WAY BETTER one, please like this post:
This is the closest any of us will get. It lines up with all the elements in the image. The front corner is very unclear so I did my best there. I focused on the outer most attachment points on the rear casting. It all lines up rather perfectly with my understanding of the shape of the exoskeleton. I included the PDF in case its higher resolution.
1670880674289.png
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Body Prototype Casting spied uncovered!! 😲 1670880674289

Last edited:

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Is that 2 mirrored castings in the rear?
Nice observation... It looks like it could be. These "beta" builds are probably mostly by hand until the 9T casting machine is in place

Bathbunny

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla first-production Model 3 (LR, RWD, EAP+FSD), red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So you guys think that these pieces are part of the rear casting and thus permanent? Is the slope right for the red line shown above overlaid onto the cybertruck photograph? In the first photograph it seems too high, and what is the purpose? If the exoskeleton is carrying the loads then why would these pieces be needed? But if they are real then I understand @Crissa statement about the wings....not that we expected them to survive after the second-generation beta was shown at CyberRodeo.
That I know of Tesla never stated that the exoskeleton would support the load, only that the exoskeleton would be strong stainless steel and replace some of the usual internal structure.
The front and rear castings and the piece joining them should be the main load-bearing part, with the exoskeleton adding extra strength to the whole.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Thank you. Good explanation.

I would have been rude and said
"No one said the whole thing would be extruded Stainless Steel ace"

After all, it is a motor vehicle and there are still limits to what can be done with Stainless Steel.

OP
OP
SolarWizard

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Looks fake to me. That casting makes no sense. And wheel well? On driver's side is closed off at bottom and casting sticks out past rear door. Fake fake fake

id bet on this being a real photo. It lines up with the overall shape virtually perfectly.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The mention of powder coating some of the inner components is pretty awesome.

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag
I agree. The lines/shape of the roofline are all off. This can't be recent or legit Texas pic.

OP
OP
SolarWizard

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Thank you. Good explanation.

I would have been rude and said
"No one said the whole thing would be extruded Stainless Steel ace"

After all, it is a motor vehicle and there are still limits to what can be done with Stainless Steel.
RUDE? no one implied the whole Thing was stainless. The photos on tesla.com/cybertruck imply uniformity of materials on the skin and “no paint” has been said repeatedly, including by elon.
Sponsored