Country flag
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
There are several areas that I think show that it is not a photo.
That's a tall statement. Let's look at your reasons one at a time:

1. The arch in the frame forward of the passenger wheel well is not duplicated on the driver side. The box in that arch appears to have been smudged in.
I'm not seeing that - I think you are being fooled by the angle of the (not a) photo.

2 . The wheel well on driver's side is not a wheel well. It has a plate at the bottom that makes it useless as a wheel well
That's consistent with my analysis this is a production/design jig/tool. It does not speak to whether the photo is real.

3. This CT has a floor of grey fog in the cabin.
That's consistent with my analysis this is a production/design jig/tool. It does not speak to whether the photo is real.

4. The first shop pillar on the right has an artifact interrupting it's line.
Are you talking about the shop pillar on the far right of the image? I'm not seeing anything unusual there.

5. The sign that says powder coat is digital print. It is not native to the picture. This could be an artifact introduced by the software
A "digital print"? I would expect Tesla to make their signs digitally. It looks like a real sign someone made.

6. The rear angle plates of both wheel wells are smudged at the margins. They appear to be added. They are not identical and strangely more detail is visible on the one that is on passenger side even though the driver's side is front and center.
That's not unusual - those areas are quite underexposed and appear to be painted flat dark grey. This is the first place I would expect artifacts to show up

7 the cast frames do not attache at the cab at the same height.
They look the same height to me. I see nothing unusual there.,

8 the scaffold is of center on the sled rails. The cross bar is floating above one rail
I don't see any "floating" components. It's not unusual for temporary structures to be off-center if it doesn't matter (and that appears to be the case here).

9. The sled rail on passenger side is obstructed by a plate of 1 inch steel
I don't see how this indicates the photo is not real.

10. The body is off center on the scaffold.
I don't see how this indicates the photo is not real.

11. The whole cast side frame is nonsense and makes very little sense. Such a large rail to transfer stress to a glass window frame. That large of a casting would not be necessary.
The window frame is not glass, it looks like some kind of steel to me. There is a substantial amount of strength in an area like that where three steel members come together like that. I don't see how this indicates the photo is not real.

In short, I'm baffled why you think this image is not real. You have failed to point out any tell-tail signs of a doctored photo. It's normal, as you mention, for low quality photos to have artifacts. What would give it away as a photoshopped fake are the kind of tell-tale signs of fakery. You have presented none of that, at least not anything that seems to me like it is consistent with Photoshop trickery.

The photo is real, it just doesn't look how you expect it to look. And that's understandable, because this is not a pre-production Cybertruck, it's merely a design/production tool.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've run the photo through some image sharpening software. It can introduce artifacts so be careful when disseminating it to identify it as modified.
1670712585483_s66qji_2_1.jpg

There are several areas that I think show that it is not a photo.
1. The arch in the frame forward of the passenger wheel well is not duplicated on the driver side. The box in that arch appears to have been smudged in.
2 . The wheel well on driver's side is not a wheel well. It has a plate at the bottom that makes it useless as a wheel well
3. This CT has a floor of grey fog in the cabin.
4. The first shop pillar on the right has an artifact interrupting it's line.
5. The sign that says powder coat is digital print. It is not native to the picture. This could be an artifact introduced by the software
6. The rear angle plates of both wheel wells are smudged at the margins. They appear to be added. They are not identical and strangely more detail is visible on the one that is on passenger side even though the driver's side is front and center.
7 the cast frames do not attache at the cab at the same height.
8 the scaffold is of center on the sled rails. The cross bar is floating above one rail
9. The sled rail on passenger side is obstructed by a plate of 1 inch steel
10. The body is off center on the scaffold.
11. The whole cast side frame is nonsense and makes very little sense. Such a large rail to transfer stress to a glass window frame. That large of a casting would not be necessary.
I don't see 1-4, 8-10 Why do you think #5?
#6 seems a little out of focus.
#7 is not true, there is overspray.
#11 I don't even know what you're trying to say.

I know you don't like the picture.

-Crissa

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, model 3 and model S
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
Let me throw this into the mix of incredible commentary on this rear casting. The lower trailing end of the casting that sits atop the closest vertical steel support member of the dolly frame, indicates to me that will be an insertion point for the connecting 'horseshoe' tow-hitch member, that also ties together the trailing ends of the Giga Casting.
It's gonna be 'BEEFY' hauling 14700lbs+ especially when we talk QUAD CYBRTRK.
Not to mention the flux capacitor😉

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not seeing any bulkhead at all where the front of the bed should be. That column in the center might not even be part of the truck but some kind of jig.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm not seeing any bulkhead at all where the front of the bed should be. That column in the center might not even be part of the truck but some kind of jig.
Maybe, but there's an occlusion of view which corresponds with where a forward bulkhead would be. It has a square cut out of it?

The beed is not in the image at all, there's a void where it would be.

-Crissa

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Someone please tweet @elonmusk and ask. “Midgate?”
You’re killing me.
He’s not saying Jack about the Cybertruck til the event is announced at this point. I’d bet on it.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe, but there's an occlusion of view which corresponds with where a forward bulkhead would be. It has a square cut out of it?

The beed is not in the image at all, there's a void where it would be.

-Crissa
Ahh, I see the bulkhead now. That's what supports the rear seatbacks. Dang! This truck is going to be strong! I wonder if that square hole is just to lighten it or if it's some kind of pass-through when the right seat is flipped forward?

Kirsten

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Can you add a snow/ice mode where little metal nodules will screw out of the wheels for traction? And then when you take the car off that mode they will screw back flush with the wheel. I think this idea is worthy of being incorporated into the Cybertruck and all vehicles. I was just up at the mountain today. Chains were required due to conditions but most people did not put them on their vehicles. How many accidents could be avoided if this were an option and people didn’t have to risk their lives putting chains on their vehicle next to the highway. Not to mention that sometimes people but the chains on the wrong wheels. All those risks could be eliminated.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Stainless can be painted for various reasons. If the Cybertruck chassis in the photo is being used to validate a production line it could very well be painted white for visibility. If it's being used to measure deflection under load, it could very well be painted white for visibility. It's probably not painted to slow corrosion because they didn't paint the upper A&B pillars, or the frame of the roof.

This is strong evidence that this is a temporary tool and is not long in this world. It will be sent to metal recyclers when they are done with it. Depending upon the purpose of the structure, it may not even be made of the same kind of metal as the production version.

I have no idea what kind of metal Tesla has specified for the door jamb stampings but, if I had to guess, stainless steel would be the most likely. It could also be high-strength steel if they determined it needed more resilience for crash safety (in which case Tesla will paint it to prevent corrosion). Time will tell but we don't know now, and this photo does not add much (if anything) to that debate.
I'm not referring to the white, I'm referring to the dark gray that's on all the surfaces which to me indicates it has been coated (whether powder coated like the sign above it says or whatever else). This is what a bare uncoated unibody looks like (Model Y at Giga Texas):

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Body Prototype Casting spied uncovered!! 😲 678

Anyway there is one thing we can agree on and it's that on the production version things could change.