Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
re-read the post

People are stuck in a 2019 unveil framework, where they assume that any CyberTruck with 3 motors is a materially different variant as was shown in 2019

the point of the post quoted above is that this line of thinking/assumptions is incorrect

there is a CT on Nov 30 that *happens* to have three motors - but it is *not* the “Tri Motor” people have been thinking of for 4 years

instead, in the 2019 framework, this is a “Dual” that happens to have 3 motors in order to make the “Dual” have a ‘performance’ version

just like how the Model S has a “Plaid” version that adds a 3rd motor for that purpose
I don't see how terminology changes anything.. Are you implying that in the future there will be a "true tri" variant? That doesn't make any sense.. If they add a third motor surely it will add performance, but im pretty sure it will be a separate trim level entirely.. Illustrated by the B/W interior, for example.

And we've already been over the fact that if you add performance, you must also add capacity.. Take a basic physics class..

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
get outta here with that BS
It's simply an observation. I prefer to not get my hopes up and assume that the initial released version will have a 500 mile range when we have seen no evidence of it and a lot of noise that it won't. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does have 500 mile range at release along with a decent price point.

Also, the Model X is not the highest range Tesla. They didn't say "as good as or better than a Model S", which is at about 400 miles for the LR, instead selecting a model that does match the rumors. Not that this is a particularly strong assertion since they said they can't see the range numbers, and the rumored 350 range has never been sourced.

We also don't know what version the employee was driving.

Tesla seldom releases all trims with announced specs at launch, normally rolling additional trims out as production picks up later in the first year of production. It does not mean they wont release a 500 mile version in the future to match the announcement specs.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
I don't see how terminology changes anything.. Are you implying that in the future there will be a "true tri" variant? That doesn't make any sense.. If they add a third motor surely it will add performance, but im pretty sure it will be a separate trim level entirely.. Illustrated by the B/W interior, for example.

And we've already been over the fact that if you add performance, you must also add capacity.. Take a basic physics class..
Oh here we go, 15 page thread inc!

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
re-read the post

People are stuck in a 2019 unveil framework, where they assume that any CyberTruck with 3 motors is a materially different variant as was shown in 2019

the point of the post quoted above is that this line of thinking/assumptions is incorrect

there is a CT on Nov 30 that *happens* to have three motors - but it is *not* the “Tri Motor” people have been thinking of for 4 years

instead, in the 2019 framework, this is a “Dual” that happens to have 3 motors in order to make the “Dual” have a ‘performance’ version

just like how the Model S has a “Plaid” version that adds a 3rd motor for that purpose
like the 5 books of the Foundation trilogy.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
I’ve accepted the fact that, for now, the CT is probably better suited for towing across town~90 miles round trip for the time being. This allows me equipment exchanges between clinics. And majority use case.

Regarding the 500CT, I don’t know if I were ever going to tow out of state, though I imagine it’s generally feasible.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I don't know why there are so many fan boys thinking they still are going to get 500 miles of range or "I am not buying it".

There have been plenty of hints that the range of the Cybertruck will be closer to 350 miles of range. Psychics and the state of the 4680 batteries makes it pretty much impossible to have a Pickup Truck get 500 miles of range unless you have a massive massive battery, or a big jump in battery tech.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
There will almost certainly be a cybertruck with 350 mile range. They listed it on reveal day, "300+ miles". That's the dual motor. The only question is whether the trimotor still comes with "500+" standard.
Whether it is a single motor, or dual motor, or Tri-motor, range is related to the size of the battery.

The # of motors is not relevant. In fact, it is my guess the DUAL motor that comes out in December will have longer range than the TRI motor.

(Sure Tesla back in 2019 had a gleam in their eye that they would find a way to provide 500 miles of range, and then package it with a faster Tri-Motor version. It just didn't happen)

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
It's simply an observation. I prefer to not get my hopes up and assume that the initial released version will have a 500 mile range when we have seen no evidence of it and a lot of noise that it won't. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does have 500 mile range at release along with a decent price point.

Also, the Model X is not the highest range Tesla. They didn't say "as good as or better than a Model S", which is at about 400 miles for the LR, instead selecting a model that does match the rumors. Not that this is a particularly strong assertion since they said they can't see the range numbers, and the rumored 350 range has never been sourced.

We also don't know what version the employee was driving.

Tesla seldom releases all trims with announced specs at launch, normally rolling additional trims out as production picks up later in the first year of production. It does not mean they wont release a 500 mile version in the future to match the announcement specs.
Sorry for the edgy response :p But i felt it. I wanted to set expectations, but i acknowledge that the time to make expectations has passed. The release specs were just that, Elon's expectations. And every time John from cleaner watt or someone on this thread tried to "not get their hopes up" , all it did was lower these expectations.

One thing we agree on, is we don't know shit. not even the test engineers know.

Your hopes are your's. Its good to share them with others, and you can temper them all you want. Expectations are different.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was lucky enough to spot the Cybertruck at the supercharger in Mojave, CA. Just when I pulled up a tow truck arrived. Apparently the truck wouldn’t charge. I spoke briefly to the engineer who was a nice guy and relatively open. He said that he honestly didn’t know the range, as all RCs only display battery percentages, but said something along the lines of “as good as or better than a Model X”. He also said he didn’t know the price, and even suggested that Tesla was still figuring that out.

I parked my F150 next to it, but in all the excitement, I didn’t get the best pictures.

Also, the CT looks bigger in person, definitely a full size truck.

This RC prototype had the new ‘eco’ hubcaps, which was the first time I’ve seen them on a more aggressive tire

cybertruckvsraptor.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg
Wow, he’s a strong guy to make the CT do that.😁

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
The seven spoke hubcap does not align with the markings on this new tire although there are similar marks on the tire

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Breaks Down in Mojave + F-150 Raptor Size Comparison + ~350mile Range Prediction? 234F886F-9A29-4F5B-B374-4720A0943339

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Breaks Down in Mojave + F-150 Raptor Size Comparison + ~350mile Range Prediction? FACADF01-7E70-4493-9F2B-D108C985A843

I mention it to point out different tires and, I for one thought the tires mated to the aero covers at the 2019 debut was one more BA feature

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag

The truck is going to have a bigger battery than the S or X plaid so the performance capability is already there in a battery thats 20%+ bigger than those

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
The truck is going to have a bigger battery than the S or X plaid so the performance capability is already there in a battery thats 20%+ bigger than those
Saying that the extra capacity is already built into the dual motor, is not completely dumb.. If there was a long and a short range version of the dual motor, that might even make sense: Use the overcapacity of the Dual LR variant for performance.

But im pretty sure there will be ONE dual motor on release, and ONE tri motor. I agree that as time goes on, there might eventually be a long range variant of the base dual motor model. But on launch, i'm pretty sure all trims will be optimized to the limit. Dual will have an appropriately size battery, and the tri will be bigger. People that are saying the tri will have less range and the same capacity, are beyond saving.
Sponsored