JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Could well be that there are extra monitors in the door fronts.

For the "eMirrors" to use the existing cameras at the same time as the FSD, it would need a multiplexer so it can split the stream to either system, emirror or FSD. Probably not that hard to do, just something I thought of.
Sponsored

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
One thing I read about (I wish I could find it again!!!) was that mirrors are still more reliable than cameras simply because of resolution. Not the camera's resolution, or even the resolution of the screen, but the resolution of our eyes on a small screen. This was intriguing to me since I'm all about those 4k ultra wide monitors, but as anyone with experience with them will tell you: they're completely useless unless the physical dimensions are at least large enough for our eyes to discern the difference--aside from all the icons/UI just shrinking haha.

The idea is that in-car screens are simply not large enough to replace mirrors because our eyes can't see small objects on a small screen (regardless of the resolution) as well as in a mirror, that's just fact. But small objects on a large view port/screen,... Now that's interesting!
Tesla recently changed their back up interface to include side views AND consume 90% of the viewable screen while in reverse. While receiving criticism for adding progressively larger screens in their cars, I think this is the correct direction to go--not only for safety reasons, but also for interface mutability via software updates. Frankly, every OS in existence has been doing this for decades, it's about time cars did!

Personally, I believe that a 17" screen, as seen in the CT, is plenty large enough to change these rules. Previous Tesla vehicles are on the edge imo.
I apologize for the lack of metric, the numbers Tesla provides are all imperial. Here goes:
A standard side view mirror is 9-25in^2, some MUCH larger (elephant ears), some smaller (motorcycles). Rear view mirrors are typically 10-18in^2. Altogether an area of 28-68in^2 needed to accommodate all that mirror space. Leaving out distance--which matters a ton, but these are law makers not scientists--we can assume the CT screen is around 10"x13", or a measly 130in^2.... Lol. Modern resolutions, even in small cameras, are really not a concern any longer. Size matters, especially on the desk of our venerable rule makers. If the CT screen real estate is used for reversing in a similar way as the 3 and y, it's more than enough. Opinion: side views wouldn't even need to be visible all the time, only when wanting to merge. If there's some requirement that they must be visible all the time, just add a larger, monolithic screen. It just makes sense. Screens are cheap, versatile, and software defined.

Personal 2 cents,
Cheers!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The average driver cannot discern the difference from close up, the dot pitch of modern screens, let alone from beyond an arm's reach.

So that's not an issue.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I strongly suspect the side and rearview mirrors will not just be showing on the 17" screen with all the other stuff that needs to go on there. Instead there will be a screen where the center mirror goes, and possibly some inside the vehicle where the normal mirrors would go. The main monitor will stay for nav and FSD etc. There's no way you want to switch to rear view on the main screen before merging etc.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I strongly suspect the side and rearview mirrors will not just be showing on the 17" screen with all the other stuff that needs to go on there. Instead there will be a screen where the center mirror goes, and possibly some inside the vehicle where the normal mirrors would go. The main monitor will stay for nav and FSD etc. There's no way you want to switch to rear view on the main screen before merging etc.
I sure hope so!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Likewise, scanning the mirror and outside the window visually at the same time is just safer. Imagine how weird/ unsafe it would be to have to look at the screen in front of you on the right while merging to the left. It just makes much more sense to have the display on the pillar nearest the window you are looking out. Even the rear view doesn't make sense on the console unless they made the console bigger to accommodate the rear view being there all the time.

I feel silly for thinking it would be on the single display earlier, makes zero sense.

SPRailroadFan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul
Occupation
Quality Assurance Professional
Country flag
The McLaren Speedtail already uses a side camera system/interior cameras for sideview mirrors. . . it's really cool! The side cameras extended when the car is started. . . the side cameras are the small rectangular section in the door.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camera mirrors st_profile_1_closed

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think the rear view camera will be displayed permanently on the screen where the rear view mirror goes, also hides the forward looking cameras behind there. If we're lucky we might be able to set the POV in software at least. If we have side pillar mounted screens I would think they'd be augmented with lane traffic detection etc.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The average driver cannot discern the difference from close up, the dot pitch of modern screens, let alone from beyond an arm's reach.

So that's not an issue.

-Crissa
is it possible to get camera input from the cameras on the side of the car now.....or maybe place 2 cameras there, one for side mirror and the other for current function

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/13640-sidevisibilityreport_102518_v3-tag.pdf

NHTSA last concluded that they need more information to answer these questions:
"
• Will drivers acclimate easily to electronic displays for side visibility?
• Will display location (inside the vehicle) and visual angle difference from traditional mirror location bother drivers enough to impact safety?
• Will display brightness annoy and/or compromise forward vision?
"

Basically, they don't think people can handle it, but admit that cameras performed better than mirrors in almost every test. I honestly don't see why this won't be legalized with that weak of an argument.

Also, can anyone actually source the law for these mirror requirements? I can't seem to find them.
NVM, found it by State, not federal. (https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=26709)

Cheers.
Sponsored