First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that I’ve started sharing the Cybertruck catamaran (Cybercat) concept today and thought the group would be interested. I’ve begun taking email sign ups to hold reservation spots. I intend to use this list to convince Tesla to either make the necessary modifications required to the Cybertruck to enable a third-party product like this or take the concept fully in-house to develop. I’ve addressed all of Elon’s previous objections to making a boat. Check it out!

www.cybercatamaran.com

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck + catamaran = Cybercat™ R4 - Cybercat Foiler foiling at speed
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Are you going to call it the Nikola float attachment ?

When's the IPO ?

OP
OP
Cybercat_enthusiast
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not yet but excited about trying to make it real!

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Just modify an existing pontoon boat to accept the CT to drive up on it and use the battery to run a jet pump type propulsion system.
The advantage of the pontoon platform is the ability to mount solar panels above the CT thus shading it.
The fly in the ointment in this idea is the weight of the CT........might have to skip the existing pontoon boat idea and maybe use a flat bottomed barge to hold the CT.
I would not want to risk my CT on an idea like this. I've seen a lot of videos of vehicles attempting to load on a water born vessel and ending up in Davy Jones Locker.
Fishing it out of the water would not be easy or cheap.

OP
OP
Cybercat_enthusiast
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just modify an existing pontoon boat to accept the CT to drive up on it and use the battery to run a jet pump type propulsion system.
The advantage of the pontoon platform is the ability to mount solar panels above the CT thus shading it.
The fly in the ointment in this idea is the weight of the CT........might have to skip the existing pontoon boat idea and maybe use a flat bottomed barge to hold the CT.
I would not want to risk my CT on an idea like this. I've seen a lot of videos of vehicles attempting to load on a water born vessel and ending up in Davy Jones Locker.
Fishing it out of the water would not be easy or cheap.
Weight not a problem. Current inflatable pontoons designed to support +10,000 lbs with load transmitted through vehicle lift points. CT likely to come in at 5,000-7,000lbs.

Separate boat platform considered in original design, too many problems: width required for stability makes oversized for road transport, transport would eat CT range, getting truck on and off would be major pain (in the drink like you said), takes up space so probably need to pay for mooring, can't take on the go so can't do trips where you're in, out and on your way, etc.

Solar you get from roof area not enough for noticeable increase in range over the course of a day (typical way people use recreational boats), especially if pontoon platform doesn’t have standalone battery to charge while docked.

Hahah, yeah probably wouldn’t risk my CT to aftermarket solution like this either. Ultimate goal: get Tesla (or other OEM) to make it for their vehicle because I want to buy it.

When people poke holes in ideas, holes get patched, ideas get better.

bill.french

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Weight not a problem. Current inflatable pontoons designed to support +10,000 lbs with load transmitted through vehicle lift points. CT likely to come in at 5,000-7,000lbs.

Separate boat platform considered in original design, too many problems: width required for stability makes oversized for road transport, transport would eat CT range, getting truck on and off would be major pain (in the drink like you said), takes up space so probably need to pay for mooring, can't take on the go so can't do trips where you're in, out and on your way, etc.

Solar you get from roof area not enough for noticeable increase in range over the course of a day (typical way people use recreational boats), especially if pontoon platform doesn’t have standalone battery to charge while docked.

Hahah, yeah probably wouldn’t risk my CT to aftermarket solution like this either. Ultimate goal: get Tesla (or other OEM) to make it for their vehicle because I want to buy it.

When people poke holes in ideas, holes get patched, ideas get better.
Electrification and advanced materials science not only move the boundaries of possibilities, it alters our confidence to experience nature without destroying it. We also cannot rule out a polarity shift for people who live on water and want a terra-firma adventure vehicle that can easily ferry to and from land. Every yacht owner will want a Cybertruck, a CyberCat, and a CyberLandr.

I like it; I think the concept has legs. It is not without some major challenges, but this further demonstrates that Cybertruck is an energy platform likely to expand our understanding of mobility and adventure.

Best wishes on your journey.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
cool idea, although I think the Hydrofoil (if thats whats its called) idea where it lefts up out of the water. Is a bit of a stretch.
Seems alot of complexity for not much benefit and having 6k+ lbs up like that seems wrong.

looks like you using the 120 or 220 plugs expected in the bed to power electric outboards. I would imagine those would use an insane amount of energy to go to the speeds needed to have the hydro foil useful.

back to hybernation

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
cool idea, although I think the Hydrofoil (if thats whats its called) idea where it lefts up out of the water. Is a bit of a stretch.
Seems alot of complexity for not much benefit and having 6k+ lbs up like that seems wrong.

looks like you using the 120 or 220 plugs expected in the bed to power electric outboards. I would imagine those would use an insane amount of energy to go to the speeds needed to have the hydro foil useful.

back to hybernation
Yes, it is never the same in real life as in reality
:unsure:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Whats your plan to control trim whilst foiling with varying load conditions and sea state?

Technically, you don't need pontoons if you can get enough power to get onto plane with the foils. CT floats by itself, just install some inflatable door seals and/or some inflatable emergency bouys.

I'd probably rather tow a boat though at those prices.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Cool, however, hydrofoiling it seems to be a stretch.

Yes, a propeller drive would be more practical with a simpler adapter and if the Cybertruck is carrying a truck camper, it becomes a boat cruiser. Solar panel is a must as there will never be any charger out there unless Elon can send a lightning bolt out there thru the Starlink.

Good luck, still, it's cool.

OP
OP
Cybercat_enthusiast
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

back to hybernation
Hey Newton, I recently added a detailed FAQs section, check it out!
https://www.cybercatamaran.com/#FAQs

Your question is there:

11. What are the main Cybertruck (or other road EV) modifications required to enable the Cybercat? How do you get power to the outboard motors?

The electrical and physical modifications required are very small, especially when compared to those needed for other comparatively small feature additions. Software and controls modifications are significant but can be developed in parallel and added via over-the-air updates when ready.

In summary, the rapid charge splitter (or HVDC bus) would need to be modified to support an additional HVDC cable pair. Those cables, along with a low voltage data link, would run through the vehicle and terminate in a fixture akin to a charge receptacle. This connection would need to be marine grade and located in the rear of the vehicle to minimize the cable run to the outboard motors. We welcome conversations with OEMs to discuss the needed modifications in detail.
Sponsored