Cybertruck delayed; writing is on the wall.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Smart fortwo, Honda TRX700XX, Honda MSX125SF.
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There you go splashing "probably" on very well intentioned "hopeful". LOL.

Seriously though, a lot has been learned since then. The plant has been designed from scratch instead of ported. In other words, I agree just more of a believer. The thing about being a believer, it only needs a want to believe. Also, I think we can agree that even if Tesla miraculously hits every mark perfectly, it won't matter without batteries.
I don’t mind waiting for the battery just send me the CT without and I will sit in it and make humming noises until they are available.

Advertisement

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
When they first announced deliveries beginning in late 2021, I think most of us took that with a grain of salt. With Elon showing up in the Cybertruck prototype at the Austin construction site and not providing any update; combined with the delay and push-back of any new information AT ALL on the Cybertruck, let alone revealing the updated version, I think we are in for quite a wait.

The Plaid+ Model S which uses the same battery and driveline as the Tri-motor Cybertruck, on the Tesla website now says first deliveries summer 2022. Over a year from now for a car chassis that already exists, and has existed for a long time.

And look what happened to the Tesla Roadster. Those poor saps put $50,000 deposits down for a car first supposed to release in 2020. Now it's vaporware and has basically vanished off the face of the planet. That was a car revealed FOUR years ago.

And then there is this:

https://www.mining.com/tesla-hit-by-battery-shortage-amid-rallying-lithium-cobalt-nickel-prices/

So as Cybertruck reservation holder ~6,000, I don't expect my truck now until 2023.
You are way too negative for this group and I am surprised you put money down for a CT. Sometimes I wonder whether I will get my CT by next June but I have NEVER thought it wouldn’t be until the June after that. I saw some BS crap from a Wall Street nobody that predicted like 10,000 CTs being made in 2022. They cannot make Model Ys without the battery factory and they will surely be able to make Model Ys this summer. Once they begin making CTs they will ramp up production much faster than either the Model 3 or Y. Maybe not 100,000 in 2022 like I would need to see mine, but if yours isn’t available next January I’ll be surprised. I expect some with number 6,000 to be more positive.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Tesla shanghai began construction in December 2018 and had cars rolling out in August 2019. Using that as a barometer, I would be surprised if we don't see any vehicles out of Giga Austin in July since that's one year after groundbreaking. Optimistically they could have Cats rolling out this year and they're hoping to move prototype teams from Folsom to Austin in July. Ideally, that means some consumers will have the yoke in their hands by the end of the year.

Not sure why we're seeing so many pessimistic threads like this lately where one piece of news is extrapolated and twisted to mean that the CT is way behind schedule. Here I thought this forum was about nerding out and getting excited.
We have trolls lurking among the initiated, pretending to have low-number reservations and spewing filth. Booo.

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
they'd be wise to get Cybertruck to market before the electric f-150. we all know the ford truck will probably be inferior spec wise and cost more but it'll sell because its a ford. summer 2022 is the date to beat. 2021 was never realistic. we all knew that.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I don’t mind waiting for the battery just send me the CT without and I will sit in it and make humming noises until they are available.
Ditto. I will wire 500 Milwaukee M18 batteries together and stick 'em under the pan and see what happens

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Reserved
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
You are way too negative for this group and I am surprised you put money down for a CT. Sometimes I wonder whether I will get my CT by next June but I have NEVER thought it wouldn’t be until the June after that. I saw some BS crap from a Wall Street nobody that predicted like 10,000 CTs being made in 2022. They cannot make Model Ys without the battery factory and they will surely be able to make Model Ys this summer. Once they begin making CTs they will ramp up production much faster than either the Model 3 or Y. Maybe not 100,000 in 2022 like I would need to see mine, but if yours isn’t available next January I’ll be surprised. I expect some with number 6,000 to be more positive.
...he is too negative for this group? Or he isn't a simp? He is looking for a place to express himself and voice his opinion. Grow up participant trophy.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2013 Tesla Model S 85, '06 BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0si, Soon: Tri-Motor Cybertruck FSD
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Think about the timeline that people here are complaining about...November 2019 Tesla rolls out their prototype for the CT (and according to rumors, had only been built in the prior couple weeks). It's completely new design for a pickup, never been done, with battery, exoskeleton, glass, and casting technology that has never been used in a pickup.

Six months later they have purchased land and break ground on the factory, because, oh yeah, they dont have a place to build this thing yet. Tesla then proceeds to build a 5M+ sq foot factory from the ground up in *checks watch* what will be a little over a year.

In the meantime, they have battery day, explaining their all new battery chemistry that will add incredible efficiency to their vehicles. These are numbers the industry has not seen before. They add that to the plan for the factory already under construction in Texas.

All this, during a pandemic, while producing significantly more vehicles than the prior year, while building two additional international factories.

...and here we are with people worried about "the writing on the wall" and that it's "turning into the Roadster"??!

Give me a break! Hell, give Tesla a break! There is not another car company out there, that could pull this off, nor even begin to attempt to. What they have done already even trying to to bring this vehicle to production is absolute insanity. Personally, i would say if they end up being within a year of their original estimates, it should be regarded as one of the most impressive feats in auto manufacturing...ever? To get all of these pieces to all fall in line, near schedule, is nothing short of a miracle. Anyone who criticizes any aspect what they have put into making this vehicle a reality should think before the speak, because they are making themselves look extremely foolish.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
Y doesn't need anything special to be out the door first. Even if something else is a priority, it doesn't mean your secondary project won't complete first. Especially when it started way ahead.

-Crissa
My wife's friend was a really sharp high school principal in Czech Republic. She told me the only way she can get the teenagers motivated to do anything is package the idea as an enemy to fight against (as opposed to something to work for). That is how a lot of politicians operate these days too. I need an enemy to make it through the wait. Rivian would be the natural choice but I like it a bit too much to make that work. Y is much easier pick. Just let me hate my enemy ;)

Last edited:

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
they'd be wise to get Cybertruck to market before the electric f-150. we all know the ford truck will probably be inferior spec wise and cost more but it'll sell because its a ford. summer 2022 is the date to beat. 2021 was never realistic. we all knew that.
The electric F-150 will sell for more than just the brand-name.

For a lot of fleet vehicles, it will be 99% compatible with the way they already use the trucks.

Remember that a lot of commercial/fleet pickup trucks are rolling toolboxes, and that the way the tools are stored have been worked out by trial and error over the years. Some of those trucks don't cover a lot of miles, either.

I'm specifically thinking of the trucks that are used by the facilities and landscaping crews at my local university. Those trucks don't cover a lot of miles every day, and being able to unbolt the toolboxes and stuff from the old truck and bolt them onto the new truck means they don't have to reengineer their workflow. The kind of changes required to shift to the Cybertruck are refreshing for an individual, but surprisingly expensive (in terms of hourly wages & opportunity cost) for an organization.

The Cybertruck looks phenomenal for the Midwestern Dad duty-cycle that I intend to put it on, and the specs matter to me. But, the F150-EV will beat the Cybertruck fair and square on its less-obvious merits in a lot of niche applications. And that's OK -- the more EVs, the better!

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
The electric F-150 will sell for more than just the brand-name.

For a lot of fleet vehicles, it will be 99% compatible with the way they already use the trucks.

Remember that a lot of commercial/fleet pickup trucks are rolling toolboxes, and that the way the tools are stored have been worked out by trial and error over the years. Some of those trucks don't cover a lot of miles, either.

I'm specifically thinking of the trucks that are used by the facilities and landscaping crews at my local university. Those trucks don't cover a lot of miles every day, and buying able to unbolt the toolboxes and stuff from the old truck and bolt them onto the new truck means they don't have to reengineer their workflow. The kind of changes required to shift to the Cybertruck are refreshing for an individual, but surprisingly expensive (in terms of hourly wages & opportunity cost) for an organization.

The Cybertruck looks phenomenal for the Midwestern Dad duty-cycle that I intend to put it on, and the specs matter to me. But, the F150-EV will beat the Cybertruck fair and square on it less-obvious merits in a lot of niche applications. And that's OK -- the more EVs, the better!
F150 bed definitly have some usability advantages but there are two things that may have some impact on consumer choice:

1 - Price difference between F150 and CT. If CT can lower the manufacturing cost significantly then customer may justify the cost of adjusting their process due to lower price of CT.

2 - The update on CT may try to accommodate some of the concerns you mentioned. May be even a single motor with no vault option with low profit margin when Tesla has more battery than they know what to do with.

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
F150 bed definitly have some usability advantages but there are two things that may have some impact on consumer choice:

1 - Price difference between F150 and CT. If CT can lower the manufacturing cost significantly then customer may justify the cost of adjusting their process due to lower price of CT.

2 - The update on CT may try to accommodate some of the concerns you mentioned. May be even a single motor with no vault option with low profit margin when Tesla has more battery than they know what to do with.
Game on!

When companies compete, we win!

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Tesla shanghai began construction in December 2018 and had cars rolling out in August 2019. Using that as a barometer, I would be surprised if we don't see any vehicles out of Giga Austin in July since that's one year after groundbreaking. Optimistically they could have Cats rolling out this year and they're hoping to move prototype teams from Folsom to Austin in July. Ideally, that means some consumers will have the yoke in their hands by the end of the year.

Not sure why we're seeing so many pessimistic threads like this lately where one piece of news is extrapolated and twisted to mean that the CT is way behind schedule. Here I thought this forum was about nerding out and getting excited.
Except you can't compare the two. China has way different labor laws, safety standards for labor, and for building codes/construction. There is also no unions. So they can build things much quicker there. It took them 8 months from ground breaking to production.

They broke ground on giga texas in late July of 2020, its now late April and its not close to producing any vehicles yet we are already in month 9 and its still several months out from cars rolling off the factory floor. I would not expect it to be operational until very late this year at the soonest and will most likely be producing model Ys then, not CT. Remember they have not even built a prototype line for the CT yet to work out all the production bugs.

I am with the others that the first CT may start rolling off the floor mid 2022 at best.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Hey you 2, Neither of the trucks have left the factory YET!
Arguing over which one fleets will buy is an exercise in futility. Anybody that doesn't already have a reservation for Cybertrucks will probably not see theirs until 2025. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford doesn't put an Electric truck out for Fleet use until 2025 either.
:p BTW I'm siding with Luke, by 2025 there will be lots of aftermarket add on's for the Cybertruck that will increase it's usefulness even more.

Faffle

Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
I own some Tesla stock so i follow it almost daily for over a year, not just ct. The beauty of this website is that while we follow the ct news and dream about features, it's not been inundated with Tesla shorts taking small things and blowing them up in huge deals trying to change the stock price. I'm not saying that is what the op was trying to do but we are here because we are excited for the ct, reality is fine but,
as your title is just fear mongering imo.

Blue Steel

First Name
MP
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Prime
Occupation
Mgmt
Country flag
I own some Tesla stock so i follow it almost daily for over a year, not just ct. The beauty of this website is that while we follow the ct news and dream about features, it's not been inundated with Tesla shorts taking small things and blowing them up in huge deals trying to change the stock price. I'm not saying that is what the op was trying to do but we are here because we are excited for the ct, reality is fine but,
as your title is just fear mongering imo.
OP has been around since the reveal. I don't think he's a shorter playing that sort of long game.

I do think there's reason to believe the CT is "delayed." It might only be delayed a few months, but I really don't think customers are getting their trucks this year, which was the original goal.

However, I do think it's silly to compare the development of the CT with the Roadster. The Roadster will always be of least importance to Tesla.

Advertisement

Advertisement