Cybertruck delayed; writing is on the wall.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I will be very surprised if there are *not* some major challenges and delays in learning how to build a folded thick steel exoskeleton EV. No one has ever tried anything like that, and even for smart people, there will be surprises and problems, which they will fix and overcome.

As others have said, competition is good. If Rivian goes to market and does amazingly well, I have no doubt it will spur Tesla to focus on getting the CT to market (as well as the e-F150, etc.)
While I agree in general, I don't agree on the that last statement. I'd say that since Tesla is doing something that nobody else is doing, no amount of competition will make it go faster. They are spending, testing, and doing what they can; any success in Rivian, Ford, GM or any other car maker won't actually slow down or speed up Tesla. Tesla is self-limiting. Rivian now has investor infusion and has different issues. I'd say they are also self-limiting as in what Tesla does, doesn't matter.

GM/Ford on the other hand are conservative rent seekers (economic term for making profits off existing market share instead of adapting, think landlords of ICE). For them, I do think competition will drive them as well as regulatory pressure.
Advertisement

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, Suzuki GJ 74, VW T-5,BUG,
Country flag
@Diehard Thank you for sharing. @TechOps the quote is a good example of things comming presented by "the competition" that will need to be adressed by Tesla upon revealing the production version of the CT.

Much time has passed since the initial reveal (2019..) in EV Time it is even more time....

In 2019 a (Hi-) power outlet was kind of new. Now it is an essential thing that even the IONIQ 5 (3.5kW) comes with as standart.

@DarinCT You are right CT is something quiet diffrent, but some features have to be adressed BECAUSE the status quo has changed over time.
They have to be better (at least equal, but who wants that?) than FORD, IONIQ........

I would like to see a (EU Version) 3phase, 400V, 16 /32A Bidirectional Power conector...
You can rum large power tools or your house or charge your CT via the same cable.

To meet local regulations a remotely activated main power swith would have to be added to the house/grid conection. Tesla Gateway comes to mind...... VPP capability is a by product.
No need for smale capacity powerwall(s) if a CT is parked at the home.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
they'd be wise to get Cybertruck to market before the electric f-150. we all know the ford truck will probably be inferior spec wise and cost more but it'll sell because its a ford. summer 2022 is the date to beat. 2021 was never realistic. we all knew that.
indeed..... I'm expecting summer '22..... if its later....meh..... I'll still get one.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I don't have patience for musk who must think it funny to keep buyers uninformed. Just tell us what is going on with a product you promised us. This is such bullshit. This is why others will eventually surpass him. He's a hero in only his own mind. If my second choice is built first by others then that's what I'll buy. Fanboys can have this hunk of metal.
you clearly have no patience or understanding that he's building this up from nothing, so there are many variables at play.

Advertisement

Advertisement