Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I have tesla Model S with the full limited warranty that expires on 10/17/2022. I will hit the year limit before the miles. I am a triple-motor CyberTruck reservation holder. I ordered the CyberTruck on 12/03/2019, so I’m not at the top of the list. My issue is I don’t want to keep my Model S past 10/17/2022, as I don’t want it past the full limited warranty. Is there any chance the CyberTruck will be delivered by 10/17/2022? I don’t see that as real likely. I’m thinking maybe I’d get a new Model Y, until the CyberTruck is delivered. My thought is to get the Model Y in the next few months. I don’t want to wait until the end of my Model S warranty, and then the CyberTruck isn’t delivering, and then buy another Tesla, as it would not allow me enough time to own it long enough to get value from it. So, do you guys think the trade my Model S now and own the Y for a few years, and trade it on the CyberTruck when it comes out is a decent plan?

Est Position: 323,088
Est Position for Trim: 107,053
Est Delivery Month: 12/22/2022

Note: I don’t have any desire to debate the warranty topic, (full limited, vs battery & power train), so please respect that.
From what I understand, delivery will have little to do with place in line (I'm approx 70,000) rather than proximity to Austin. Tri-motors roll off first as well. The closer you are to Texas the quicker your "number" comes up. If #'s 1, 2, and 3 are in Hawaii, Alaska, and Maine, they will likely be last to get theirs, especially if they ordered the single motor version. Your problem is an enviable one to have. I drive my vehicles till the wheels fall off, currently a 1993 Dodge Ram 150 pickup that I hope holds up until my CT is ready. My Chysler 300 C's Hemi blew up prematurely.
Sponsored

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu Tracker II 1988, Ford Explorer 1993
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
You feel more secure under warranty and risking a single repair in a matter of a few months vs. the SURE depreciation of a new model?
I have read that Tesla vehicles retain their resale value much better than other cars.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You feel more secure under warranty and risking a single repair in a matter of a few months vs. the SURE depreciation of a new model?
I have read that Tesla vehicles retain their resale value much better than other cars.
Much better doesn't usually get you back to 100% retained value. So the choice comes down to:

1) Continue with the current risk of a repair needed during the allotted time but with minimal depreciation.
2) Change over to a different vehicle that will have more depreciation and will continue to have the risk of a needed repair.

All machines come with the risk of needed repair. All machines come with depreciation over time. With the exception of machines that get so old, they become classics and possibly start to appreciate in value as a collector's item.

So really either choice comes with an associated loss. The depreciation is almost certain to be there. The chance of a needed repair is mostly unknowable. And no matter which one chooses, it will be impossible to know if the "right" choice was made. In fact, much like the butterfly effect, the choice itself may have downstream impacts that are completely unforeseeable. Perhaps the choice made results in a chance meeting with circumstances that bring about great benefit. Or the opposite result could happen. One will never know.

This seems like one of those situations where it's best not to bother wasting a lot of time and effort. Pick one and be happy with your choice. Keep in mind that not picking is also a choice being made.

OP
OP
DES

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Software Developer & Farmer
Country flag
I’m leaning towards just keeping the S, and maybe just selling it on the used car market, if the CyberTruck isn’t ready before the warranty on the S ages out. I have another vehicle, so I won’t be without a ride. I’ll surely miss having a Tesla in that time frame though.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
delivery will have little to do with place in line (I'm approx 70,000) rather than proximity to Austin. Tri-motors roll off first as well.
I’ve seen these comments here, but not elsewhere in any hints from Elon or anyone at Tesla. Both the Tri and Dual are still listed as late 2021 launch.

Did I miss something or are proximity and Tri before Dual just educated guesses? If the latter, is there a source I can read?

Perhaps I’m just hopeful as a Dual reservation holder. :)

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
It all depends on the model and trim that you have. For example, if you have a mid-range M3, that has depreciated at a much faster rate than the LR RWD M3 which appears to have plateaued in depreciation (a good thing!).

I bought my LR RWD M3 with EAP and 12k miles on it from a private party. Since then, I've looked at other same configs for sale in my area. They are still selling with 25-30k miles for $1k more than I bought mine for! I now have 25k miles on it as well, so my car has theoretically gone up in value since taking ownership.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
All of the Teslas have depreciate slower than my Mazda, which was considered a car that didn't depreciate much.

Not like I've ever really cared bout depreciation - unless you're trading a new car every year or two, it doesn't really matter by five or ten.

-Crissa

OP
OP
DES

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Country flag
I still have the S, and as of now, haven’t completely decided what to do. I bounce back and forth between trading for the Y, and keeping my older AP1 Model S. I am talking with Tesla about the issue, and they have offered a 2 year lease to me, so that is an attractive option.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Sounds like a cut and dried case for "Eenee meanie miney moe!

OP
OP
DES

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Country flag
I opted for a model Y LR 2 year lease. It has a 6 month. month-to-month extension option, after the 2 years. If Tesla offers me a CyberTruck before the 2 year lease, I’ll probably accept if the lease is close.

Goodbye model S, hello model Y.

Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck delivery date issue 6CE64CF3-E3BC-452F-A897-9B28DA0A1F8C

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I really like the Model S, but I'm waiting on my CT. In the meantime I'm driving my fully unrestored antique 1993 Beater Dodge Ram 150. Damn it sounds and runs great as long as something doesn't fall off of it. Parts are hard to find, even in salvage yards!

OP
OP
DES

DES

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85D
Occupation
Country flag
Well, it’s been nearly 2 years with my model Y, and still no cybertruck on the horizon. I’ve ordered a new model Y with delivery in January 2023. I’m keeping it.
Sponsored