Cybertruck did NOT have windshield wipers & rear mirrors. What will it have INSTEAD?

tomasrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
OK, many on the internet are saying that the cybbertruck did not have windshield wipers nor rear mirrors because that was an oversight since it was a prototype made in a hurry. However, the Model 3 had windshield wipers at its reveal. The Model Y had windshield wipers at its reveal, too. In an interview with Marques Brownlee (a YouTuber), Elon Musk said, "“Manufacturers are required to have side mirrors [on their cars], but I believe that the owner is not.” Elon is suggesting that the Cybertrucks and Roadsters are going to be sold with owner removable side rear view mirrors. A panoramic rear view will be available via the rear view LCD screen replacement for middle rear view mirror. This will replace the function of the side rear view and central rear view mirrors.

Also, the Cybertruck will feature lasers to zap water off the windshield instead of windshield wipers. That's why it did not have one at the reveal. At high speed, a hydrophobic coating on the glass will wick water away from the glass just like on airplanes. At low speed, a laser will be firing from INSIDE the glass kinda like how a laser fires from inside a fiber optic cable. This will prevent the laser from firing outside in the environment, blinding people. As long as you do not touch the glass while the vehicle is moving, you will not get your hands burned. Also, ALON (the material that the glass is made of, ALON, or aluminum oxy nitride) has a low specific heat, meaning that if you heat it up, the temperature drops quickly after you turn off the heat source, like a heat sink that's on the motherboard of your computer. So, if you stop the car, the laser turns off. If you immediately touch it, it is not hot to the touch and therefore safe to touch.

Here is a video with more details;
CYBERTRUCK LASER WINDSHIELD WIPERS

P.S. BTW, the video asks you to donate to my best friend who has cancer. Ignore that request. She passed away last night. I don't think I will be making any more YouTube videos after this....
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Would be great for winter. No scraping windows.

ElectricCat

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 MS, 2018 M3 LR, 2020 Model S LR, 2022 MY LR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I am curious how Elon drove the CT on Saturday to that sushi place in Malibu, CA.. I mean with those lasers or wipers or just without any of them. We have a rainy weather these days.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I did see that the wide door jam may house a screen for the side cameras.

I like the idea of the review mirror being a screen. Could put a camera on the back of a trailer and have it show on the screen.

MARSROVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Ed.
Country flag
OK, many on the internet are saying that the cybbertruck did not have windshield wipers nor rear mirrors because that was an oversight since it was a prototype made in a hurry. However, the Model 3 had windshield wipers at its reveal. The Model Y had windshield wipers at its reveal, too. In an interview with Marques Brownlee (a YouTuber), Elon Musk said, "“Manufacturers are required to have side mirrors [on their cars], but I believe that the owner is not.” Elon is suggesting that the Cybertrucks and Roadsters are going to be sold with owner removable side rear view mirrors. A panoramic rear view will be available via the rear view LCD screen replacement for middle rear view mirror. This will replace the function of the side rear view and central rear view mirrors.

Also, the Cybertruck will feature lasers to zap water off the windshield instead of windshield wipers. That's why it did not have one at the reveal. At high speed, a hydrophobic coating on the glass will wick water away from the glass just like on airplanes. At low speed, a laser will be firing from INSIDE the glass kinda like how a laser fires from inside a fiber optic cable. This will prevent the laser from firing outside in the environment, blinding people. As long as you do not touch the glass while the vehicle is moving, you will not get your hands burned. Also, ALON (the material that the glass is made of, ALON, or aluminum oxy nitride) has a low specific heat, meaning that if you heat it up, the temperature drops quickly after you turn off the heat source, like a heat sink that's on the motherboard of your computer. So, if you stop the car, the laser turns off. If you immediately touch it, it is not hot to the touch and therefore safe to touch.

Here is a video with more details;
CYBERTRUCK LASER WINDSHIELD WIPERS

P.S. BTW, the video asks you to donate to my best friend who has cancer. Ignore that request. She passed away last night. I don't think I will be making any more YouTube videos after this....
Very sorry to hear about your friend. I will pray for her soul.

As to the wipers, I'm excited to see what will be coming up. Lasers would be awesome for the Cybertruck. That said, I know nothing of this science and from my completely uninformed status, would seem impossible. Time will tell.

As to the side view mirrors, Honda has made some really practical advances in this concept, but it would require more screens on the inside of the vehicle.

OP
OP

tomasrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
No, you are not "uninformed" because I made an additional 2 minute video that explains with easy pics how the Cybertruck's laser windshield wipers work:

Thanks for praying for her. I appreciate that.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. I will pray for her soul.

As to the wipers, I'm excited to see what will be coming up. Lasers would be awesome for the Cybertruck. That said, I know nothing of this science and from my completely uninformed status, would seem impossible. Time will tell.

As to the side view mirrors, Honda has made some really practical advances in this concept, but it would require more screens on the inside of the vehicle.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
Every Tesla (built after November 2017) already has all the cameras needed for screens instead of rear-view mirrors. The Audi e-tron has this system as option. Tesla can easily implement it.

MARSROVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Ed.
Country flag
No, you are not "uninformed" because I made an additional 2 minute video that explains with easy pics how the Cybertruck's laser windshield wipers work:

Thanks for praying for her. I appreciate that.
Interesting concept. Do you think this is directional and only pointed out or do you think that this would clean the inside as well? If inside as well, couldn't you hypothetically burn your hand if touching the windshield with this laser wiper on?

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
This is really interesting! I didn't realized that the laser was inside and it works only with this metal glass

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3, LR AWD Cybertruck on order, 2020 Suburu Outback XT Limited
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is really interesting! I didn't realized that the laser was inside and it works only with this metal glass
Would be cool, but I don't think we really know what wiper system this beast will have as Tesla didn't announce any details. 100% speculation/hope at this point, no? ?

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Yeah, I am curious how Elon drove the CT on Saturday to that sushi place in Malibu, CA.. I mean with those lasers or wipers or just without any of them. We have a rainy weather these days.
He may have made sure there was no forecast in the rain before setting out. And if he got caught in unexpected rain, he runs a car company and a billionaire so can just get the Cybertruck picked up ;)

I find it hard to believe that a laser system if implemented would be the only method of clearing the windshield. A laser isn't going to be able to clear mud that splashes on the windshield, or a ton of leaves, or other large debris. There's going to need to be some form of wipers that can make actual physical contact with the windshield.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
The current camera mirror setup is fine for daily driving, but have any of you towed a big box trailer or camper? It’ll need side mirrors if it hopes to be a real truck. A removable option would be kind of cool.
Sponsored