g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
We're getting close. Semi in production, it appears part of the Press is in the US of A..

Here's my guesses on whats in store.

I think they're scrapping cheap semi, Semi will be 500 mile variant excl for now, but that'll improve with battery tech / production cap. 500 mile semi will be $199k. Preorders locked at intro price however.

Cybertruck...

Scrapping cheap Cybertruck, pricing Cybertruck at high 60's, low 70's, honoring FSD.

Having a range of 340 miles(170 miles by Lightning tow standards) which gets you mostly charger to charger easily in USA.
I bet it's dual motors, which is 4 wheel drive, but leaves Tesla enough production capacity to really crank them out. Only upgrade for now is wheels, incl. the wheels we keep seeing, upgraded wheels are larger tires on the OG prototype wheel.

Truck has a folding mid gate. True bed length open air is about 5'6".
Mid gate down is 9'.
Tail gate ramp we see initially demo'd is scrapped.(think reality of use....it's another thing that few people will use practically, that jams up production rate)

Tonneau, 4 wheel drive, diamond steering/ rear steer, build quality, tow package, adjustable active air suspension.... that is all incl. and not premium'd.

TECH BANDWAGON GUESS...

-We saw last month the spotted unit running a LIDAR sensor system. Although different, Tesla just dropped the radar detectors. Cybertruck will not have them. However, the cluster of computers they have has been studying roads already. They Cybertruck will have a machine learning 4 wheel drive system to guess the suspension so it can accommodate crazy bumps easily.
-Charging will be insane. They figured out some kind of advanced battery cooling that allows the Cybertruck to do 70% battery in under 15 minutes. I am guessing closer to 12. (70% semi in 30 minutes based). 450kwh superchargers announced, cybertruck does 350kwh but the Semi can park at these 450KWH chargers for longer periods and get 100% in like 2 hours or something.

My only other last guess for no other reason than to appease people and piss off Legacy, 4 motor variant late next year that does about 400 miles. $92k. Includes OG prototype wheels.
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Sure why not.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Exactly, "why" not.?
Sorry fatigued about speculation on specs and price. I generally like your list. I am actually starting to get more excited for my Aptera reservation. I will likely get it 18 month before I hope to see my CT. The Aptera will save me a crap load and I can stay in alot of hotels and eat out on my travel adventures. Just no off-road and can't haul much.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Sorry fatigued about speculation on specs and price. I generally like your list. I am actually starting to get more excited for my Aptera reservation. I will likely get it 18 month before I hope to see my CT. The Aptera will save me a crap load and I can stay in alot of hotels and eat out on my travel adventures. Just no off-road and can't haul much.
I'll have to look more into the Aptera. I'm skeptical of the other start ups, Tesla even. Like what if Aptera only delivers 200 vehicles and dies? What about support then?

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
I wouldn't touch that dream configuration with a 12 foot pole. You shortened the bed, increased the price, and left us without a 500+ mile variant. Sounds like a nightmare.
I don’t think the bed was ever truly 6.5’ open air. I didn’t necessarily shorten the bed, I revealed the truth. Open air is roughly 5’6”. However, now you now get the mid gate to roll down and in fact get you nearly 9’.

Range. Yea. I get that one. I’m sorry, I also trying to consider the 4680 yields and ramp.

Price is going up. That’s fact. If come release day, that truck doesn’t go up in price; it’s over for Legacy. It is over for them either way, but that expedite it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
We're getting close. Semi in production, it appears part of the Press is in the US of A..

Here's my guesses on whats in store.

I think they're scrapping cheap semi, Semi will be 500 mile variant excl for now, but that'll improve with battery tech / production cap. 500 mile semi will be $199k. Preorders locked at intro price however.

Cybertruck...

Scrapping cheap Cybertruck, pricing Cybertruck at high 60's, low 70's, honoring FSD.

Having a range of 340 miles(170 miles by Lightning tow standards) which gets you mostly charger to charger easily in USA.
I bet it's dual motors, which is 4 wheel drive, but leaves Tesla enough production capacity to really crank them out. Only upgrade for now is wheels, incl. the wheels we keep seeing, upgraded wheels are larger tires on the OG prototype wheel.

Truck has a folding mid gate. True bed length open air is about 5'6".
Mid gate down is 9'.
Tail gate ramp we see initially demo'd is scrapped.(think reality of use....it's another thing that few people will use practically, that jams up production rate)

Tonneau, 4 wheel drive, diamond steering/ rear steer, build quality, tow package, adjustable active air suspension.... that is all incl. and not premium'd.

TECH BANDWAGON GUESS...

-We saw last month the spotted unit running a LIDAR sensor system. Although different, Tesla just dropped the radar detectors. Cybertruck will not have them. However, the cluster of computers they have has been studying roads already. They Cybertruck will have a machine learning 4 wheel drive system to guess the suspension so it can accommodate crazy bumps easily.
-Charging will be insane. They figured out some kind of advanced battery cooling that allows the Cybertruck to do 70% battery in under 15 minutes. I am guessing closer to 12. (70% semi in 30 minutes based). 450kwh superchargers announced, cybertruck does 350kwh but the Semi can park at these 450KWH chargers for longer periods and get 100% in like 2 hours or something.

My only other last guess for no other reason than to appease people and piss off Legacy, 4 motor variant late next year that does about 400 miles. $92k. Includes OG prototype wheels.
If I may shoot down some expectations... :)

CT will only be releasing a quad-motor version, possibly a dual motor "rear wheel drive" only version later on, by deleting the front two motor drivetrain. Details were discussed here:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...e-in-a-quad-motor-variant-pros-and-cons.5545/

Midgate has a bunch of issues, but could be possible if they figure out a a way to do the vault cover, and in particular the rear seat down far enough to create a seamless loading floor. I'm not holding my breath though, especially now that the CT is amphibious. Too many design headaches for barely any improvement. It's also very low for a passthrough. I'd say less than 30/70 chance that we get it. Just put the tailgate down to get a longer bed, and use lights in the top of the tailgate as position light to the rear. Costs nearly nothing in comparison.

Tailgate ramp was a flop IMHO from the beginning...get rid of it. Way to steep and flimsy even with the rear suspension all the way down. Slide out full length ramps on either side that stow and slide under the bed is much better provided the tailgate can hold the load.

CT pricing will be around $60-70k but including quad motor, active suspension, 4WS and most of the rest except maybe tyre choice/off-road package, interior colour, and possibly two battery range options at some point.

The diamond steering is technically way too complicated to produce and operate, which is obvious to anyone who knows how steering works, and won't happen, probably ever, simply because it offers nothing extra except the diamond steer function but doubles the parts required whilst making tracking a huge headache. Also probably wouldn't get approvals.

The increased charging rate is due to improved cooling performance, adopting the Plaid cooling system design, but will mostly be because of the lower ohmic resistance of the tabless design of the 4680 batteries. I'd expect a halving of current charge times. (BTW "kWh" is the amount of energy that can be stored and "kW' the rate of power that can be transferred at a point in time. So chargers have a kW rating and battery storage a kWh rating. The formatting is also not trivial as these are SI units, so "kWh" is actually kilo-watt-hour but "KWH" is Kelvin-watt-Henry.)

What I'd like to see is full V2X compliance included with the inverter output, or even better using bi-directional charging.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I'll have to look more into the Aptera. I'm skeptical of the other start ups, Tesla even. Like what if Aptera only delivers 200 vehicles and dies? What about support then?
Well I would be out $100. But their service model is pretty simple. They mail out parts and detailed instructions to mechanics. No dedicated fancy service centers planned.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
If I may shoot down some expectations... :)

CT will only be releasing a quad-motor version, possibly a dual motor "rear wheel drive" only version later on, by deleting the front two motor drivetrain. Details were discussed here:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...e-in-a-quad-motor-variant-pros-and-cons.5545/

Midgate has a bunch of issues, but could be possible if they figure out a a way to do the vault cover, and in particular the rear seat down far enough to create a seamless loading floor. I'm not holding my breath though, especially now that the CT is amphibious. Too many design headaches for barely any improvement. It's also very low for a passthrough. I'd say less than 30/70 chance that we get it. Just put the tailgate down to get a longer bed, and use lights in the top of the tailgate as position light to the rear. Costs nearly nothing in comparison.

Tailgate ramp was a flop IMHO from the beginning...get rid of it. Way to steep and flimsy even with the rear suspension all the way down. Slide out full length ramps on either side that stow and slide under the bed is much better provided the tailgate can hold the load.

CT pricing will be around $60-70k but including quad motor, active suspension, 4WS and most of the rest except maybe tyre choice/off-road package, interior colour, and possibly two battery range options at some point.

The diamond steering is technically way too complicated to produce and operate, which is obvious to anyone who knows how steering works, and won't happen, probably ever, simply because it offers nothing extra except the diamond steer function but doubles the parts required whilst making tracking a huge headache. Also probably wouldn't get approvals.

The increased charging rate is due to improved cooling performance, adopting the Plaid cooling system design, but will mostly be because of the lower ohmic resistance of the tabless design of the 4680 batteries. I'd expect a halving of current charge times. (BTW "kWh" is the amount of energy that can be stored and "kW' the rate of power that can be transferred at a point in time. So chargers have a kW rating and battery storage a kWh rating. The formatting is also not trivial as these are SI units, so "kWh" is actually kilo-watt-hour but "KWH" is Kelvin-watt-Henry.)

What I'd like to see is full V2X compliance included with the inverter output, or even better using bi-directional charging.
You know we’ve only actually seen a dual motor for sure? It’s that wild? Even the truck they showed off on unveil and took everyone in, dual. It’s always been dual. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sorry I jacked the kw/kWh thing.

personally don’t care about rear/ 4w steering myself. It’s just to appease the tech bandwagon label

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
You know we’ve only actually seen a dual motor for sure? It’s that wild? Even the truck they showed off on unveil and took everyone in, dual. It’s always been dual. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sorry I jacked the kw/kWh thing.

personally don’t care about rear/ 4w steering myself. It’s just to appease the tech bandwagon label
No worries. Just makes conversations easier to talk on the same terms.

But EM said we are getting quad motor variant first, and if you line up all the other factors presented in the other thread, it makes sense to get rid of the dual motor 4WD and single motor variants to reduce inventory and manufactured parts.

As for 4WS this is required standard on the CT to improve the turning circle of the long CT wheelbase, avoid going over curbs with the rear wheels and reducing aerodynamic drag from large wheel arches. It also reduces CV joint angles, which is why the Plaid does the Cheetah stance to launch. For towing it's essential for sway control. Probably also helpful for amphibious propulsion using wheels. Lot's of positives for little effort and cost. It's not a just a tech wagon thing if you look at the details and consequences of the overall change in design it affords.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
No worries. Just makes conversations easier to talk on the same terms.

But EM said we are getting quad motor variant first, and if you line up all the other factors presented in the other thread, it makes sense to get rid of the dual motor 4WD and single motor variants to reduce inventory and manufactured parts.

As for 4WS this is required standard on the CT to improve the turning circle of the long CT wheelbase, avoid going over curbs with the rear wheels and reducing aerodynamic drag from large wheel arches. It also reduces CV joint angles, which is why the Plaid does the Cheetah stance to launch. For towing it's essential for sway control. Probably also helpful for amphibious propulsion using wheels. Lot's of positives for little effort and cost. It's not a just a tech wagon thing if you look at the details and consequences of the overall change in design it affords.
All good points

what do you think range will be?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
All good points

what do you think range will be?
A minimum of 350miles, but I think EM will do 420miles for the funsies and to meet expectations half way to the TM, without blowing all the cells on a TM 500mile range model.

This also just so happens to be a 2.3m x 1.5m 585kg 160kWh single cell high structural pack that can physically fit in the CT underbody between the wheels. A 200kWh+ pack would need to be double stacked cells for 500miles using 4680, as there is not enough surface area between the wheels/casts to fit them in one layer.

A double cell high "structural pack" is also physically more difficult to achieve, as the two layers, and the shortened pack dimensions don't particularly lend itself to distributing load evenly between front and rear casts. (also something EM alluded too, but didn't detail). Hence why I think they will do one single layer structural pack first. Lower range models might just become lower graded cells that are software limited. (a bit like CPU/GPU wafer grading and overclocking)

I think 420miles is also a sweet spot for towing range expectations and cover most use cases, so around 200miles per charge using 80% SOC.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Mid Gate is a lot of known unknowns can of worms.

IF, we are in the water we certainly can't have the tail gate open and the mid gate open.

If, there was no Midgate, Do you drive into the water sitting in the bed, using the mobile phone to control the car ?

Perhaps, there is no access to the bed. Boat mode may even require the Tonneau to be closed.

(Can I crawl out the window lol)

Perhaps there is a midgate. We can drive in, and then crawl through, but we need to have the tail gate closed. There is also steer by phone. This is my ideal scenario.

It all goes to water, either way I can't get to the fridge in the Frunk !!!

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Aptera has over 25k reservations. This is their second go around so their focus is better. They have only put real effort into one vehicle. It is insanely efficient 3x plus more efficient than the CT.
An extension cord to a regular outlet will get you 150 miles of range per night. It will also supercharge and get 20-40 miles per day off solar alone.

Anybody reading this, If you are going to throw down $100 for an Aptera reservation consider using the link below. Crissa has been a valuable contributor to this forum and EV adoption in general. I think you actually get a $30 discount and she gets $1000?? off her Aptera. You may have to clear your cookies if you have been to the site before.

link to Crissa's referral page
Sponsored