Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
The full video is definitely on Brad's YouTube channel, just watched it.
Sponsored

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Posting my tweet as it is specifically the clip in attention.

Brad Sloan today :
The wind blew it shut!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It looks to be a soft open and close frunk. Let‘s remember Tesla does NOT have a powered frunk on any other vehicle I doubt they will have one on the CT. I don’t like it but video seems to prove disappointing.
But all of their other frunk lids are much lighter and smaller. This one has some serious weight to it that would require a stiffer spring to open and thus one would have to overcome the spring stiffness and the weight of the hood to close it. In fact it would be much easier for Tesla to just power it.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But all of their other frunk lids are much lighter and smaller. This one has some serious weight to it that would require a stiffer spring to open and thus one would have to overcome the spring stiffness and the weight of the hood to close it. In fact it would be much easier for Tesla to just power it.
Oh, I can hardly wait for the day when there is input from guys/gals that actually posses a CT.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Oh, I can hardly wait for the day when there is input from guys/gals that actually posses a CT.
Why would they bother? When CTs are out all of these questions will be answered in the owners manual, by some reviewer, or by a Munro tear down. There might be a few user-experience posts, but like @Crissa mentioned it will be mostly people looking how to solve some problem, where to find some accessory, etc. until that day you are stuck with the likes of me :)

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Every time I see them handling the frunk lid they are doing it very very delicately. It looks to me like they have some sort of problem they are trying to work out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Every time I see them handling the frunk lid they are doing it very very delicately. It looks to me like they have some sort of problem they are trying to work out.
It's also probably the first, or near the first, time they're doing it. We've been seeing loaders and drivers, not the engineers and line workers who made the things.

It's early still. We'll see.

-Crissa

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
It's also probably the first, or near the first, time they're doing it. We've been seeing loaders and drivers, not the engineers and line workers who made the things.

It's early still. We'll see.

-Crissa
I have no inside intel, and I’m not currently staying at a Holiday Inn. But Crissa’s post got me thinking.

IF the frunk were powered, and IF you were just a guy out there putting on covers and stuff like that, you wouldn’t have the CT paired with your phone. And IF you had the valet card, you would have to get INTO the CT to make the frunk get frunky. So you open and close by hand, and you’re careful not to lock it, cuz you gotta get back in there at some point. Maybe you even tape it so that it stays open and you have access to it without having to find the dang valet card and get in the CT just to put the darn cover away. And all this gingerly handling (if, in fact, that’s what we’re seeing) is just pressure against the motor. I know of planes where the stairs are electric up, and just the resistance of the geared motor slows them for extension on the way down.

Or, I’m completely wrong.,

Azorian1

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, ChevyVolt, Porsche 914, 2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineering Program Manager
Country flag
I also think its manual. I would be shocked if there wasn't a power assist latch to seat the final closure of the frunk. Recall the trunk of the Cadillac Eldorado? In the video he just lays it down with no force. Apologies if someone already asked this but I didn't catch S. Monroe video addressing the spools one each side. spring loaded for the frunk? Feel free to ignore the question if its been previously answered. Also I wonder why there isn't gasketing on the frunk itself to hermetically seal the area? I see those 2 strips is all.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Frunk Open / Close Action Video!! 1694046677848

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have no inside intel, and I’m not currently staying at a Holiday Inn. But Crissa’s post got me thinking.

IF the frunk were powered, and IF you were just a guy out there putting on covers and stuff like that, you wouldn’t have the CT paired with your phone. And IF you had the valet card, you would have to get INTO the CT to make the frunk get frunky. So you open and close by hand, and you’re careful not to lock it, cuz you gotta get back in there at some point. Maybe you even tape it so that it stays open and you have access to it without having to find the dang valet card and get in the CT just to put the darn cover away. And all this gingerly handling (if, in fact, that’s what we’re seeing) is just pressure against the motor. I know of planes where the stairs are electric up, and just the resistance of the geared motor slows them for extension on the way down.

Or, I’m completely wrong.,
The powered trunk on my S will start to close with just a pull, but it fully closes and latches itself if you don't physically stop it. I can't guess why a powered frunk on the Cybertruck would behave differently. If it is not powered then the varying resistance we seem to be seeing as they open and close it is also odd. I've been watching with much curiosity.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Also I wonder why there isn't gasketing on the frunk itself to hermetically seal the area? I see those 2 strips is all.
my working theory regarding the taped seams between hood and quarter panels, is that they do not yet have gasketing supply for those seals
Sponsored