Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
In another thread, there was a conversation about the size of the Cybertruck and how it might fit in certain parking spaces. I weighed stating that some of our parking spots out here in the Seattle area are quite small as an attempt by the government to incentivize us to buy smaller (and thus by proxy, more fuel-efficient) cars as a curb on climate change.

Out of curiosity, I decided to go measure some actual parking spots to see how they would compare to the size of the Cybertruck itself. So before the pandemic, back when I made my Cybertruck reservation, I was employed at an office in downtown Bellevue WA. And this is where I would have needed to park my Cybertruck if I was still employed there. The actual parking structure is 5 stories above ground, 2 stories below ground, and can be seen here. Now, I didn't go to the actual roof to make measurements because there actually less room on the lower stories due to support pillars. But the layout of the spaces on the roof is basically the same as for the lower stories.

So here are the general measurements.

For compact spaces, the size of the painted space is 13' x 6'2" (396 cm x 187 cm) as measured from just inside the marker lines. Then there is 16" (41 cm) between spaces to allow for door openings between cars. That is 2x4" (10 cm) paint lines separated by 8" (20 cm) space. Note also that the length of the space is a hard measurement here because it is right up to the support wall.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example Compact_2

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example Compact_1

Then the lane between the compact spaces is 25' 5" (775 cm).
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example Compact_4

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example Compact_3

So given those dimensions, let's see how much room there is if 2 cybertrucks are parked in compact spaces opposite each other and then 2 cybertrucks try to pass each other in the center lane going opposite directions.

To do this, we would have 2 cybertrucks parked in spaces and take their lengths as the measure. So 2 x 19' 4" (589 cm) for a total parked length of 38' 8" (1179 cm). Then between those 2 parked cybertrucks we would try to drive 2 more cybertrucks that are each 6' 8" (203 cm) for a total passing width of 13' 4" (406 cm).

Given these dimensions, and without any space between the vehicles, the amount of room left over is...... -7" (-18 cm).

SpaceInches
Compact Space 1156
Compact Space 2156
Separating Lane305
Total617 (51' 5") [1567 cm]

VehicleInches
Parked Cybertruck 1232
Parked Cybertruck 2232
Passing Cybertruck 180
Passing Cybertruck 280
Total624 (52' 0") [1585 cm]

Add in some wiggle room so we don't all get scratched and you can see that this scenario doesn't work. Someone needs to be getting out of the situation. And this doesn't even take into account the turning radius etc for the Cybertrucks that are trying to pull into or out of those spaces.

OK. But that is for compact spaces... The Cybertruck is certainly not a compact vehicle. So what do the "normal" spaces look like in this same scenario? Well, I measured those too.

Normal parking space measures: 16' 0" x 7' 7" (192 cm x 91 cm).
The passing lane between the parked vehicles is 25' 6" (777 cm)

So for the same scenario as above but in the "normal" parking space lane, the total available space between the Cybertrucks comes out to be... 66" (168 cm). Divided between the 5 spaces where a gap is needed that leaves only 13" between vehicles and walls.

SpaceInches
Normal Space 1192
Normal Space 2192
Normal Lane306
Total690 (57' 6") [1753 cm]

VehicleInches
Parked Cybertruck 1232
Parked Cybertruck 2232
Passing Cybertruck 180
Passing Cybertruck 280
Total624 (52' 0") [1585 cm]

Now I get that this example is somewhat contrived. Not everyone is driving Cybertrucks. But there are still a lot of people driving fairly large trucks and in a parking structure like this one, it gets really tight really quick.

But there is 1 thing that I didn't mention yet. Below is the entrance to the parking structure. Notice that there is a bar and sign letting you know that your vehicle needs to be under 6' 3" in height. What was the height of the Cybertruck? Oh yeah, 6' 3". So it is possible that pulling a Cybertruck into this parking structure might just be too tight on height alone. I wonder, is that 6' 3" measurement with the air suspension at full height? If I try to drive into this parking structure, can I lower the Cybertruck to just make it fit? There are some speed bumps in the structure but I don't think any of the speed bumps are under a 6' 3" structure.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example Garage_1

I probably should have measured the width of the entrance too come to think of it. But I've seen some large trucks in there so my guess would be that the Cybertruck could get through the gate width.
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Many parking structures here have the spots on an angle and not perpendicular to the travel lane. This might help with the length of vehicle issues you pointed out. And I have seen parking garages changed from the perpendicular to the slanted parking spots after they realized that they needed more room to maneuver.

OP
OP
Hoppi

Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
Many parking structures here have the spots on an angle and not perpendicular to the travel lane. This might help with the length of vehicle issues you pointed out. And I have seen parking garages changed from the perpendicular to the slanted parking spots after they realized that they needed more room to maneuver.
Yes. I actually went downtown to try and measure the parking spots
CenturyLink Field Event Center Parking because they have both straight and angled spots in a fairly large parking structure. But there was a game on so the parking structure was all locked up and there were a ton of police all over the place. Maybe Iā€™ll try again another day.
There are a number of other locations I might go try to measure also.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Iā€™m a bit confused. Many if not all full sized trucks would have a hard time getting into a 6ā€™3ā€ parking structure, and the CT height is the same or lower. In fact, the CT is 1ā€ shorter than the Model X, so a whole bunch of SUVs also wouldnā€™t make it into that structure. The same goes for the width. The CT is a lot narrower than other full sized trucks because they have huge side mirrors, and once again it is the same width as a Model X. So it seems to me that Seattle has a problem with trucks, as you mentioned in the first place, and not an inherent problem with the CT. I am not looking forward to finding spots to park in but I still want a CT so Iā€™ll have to figure it all out. At least it wonā€™t get scratched in a way that will bother me.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
Iā€™m a bit confused. Many if not all full sized trucks would have a hard time getting into a 6ā€™3ā€ parking structure, and the CT height is the same or lower. In fact, the CT is 1ā€ shorter than the Model X,

From what I found the Model X is: " Tesla Model Xs have a total length of 16ā€™6ā€ (198.3ā€ | 503.6 cm) "

CT is about 3 feet longer.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
R
From what I found the Model X is: " Tesla Model Xs have a total length of 16ā€™6ā€ (198.3ā€ | 503.6 cm) "

right, but I was talking about the Model X height and width. Surely the length will be an issue but it is the same issue as for any full-sized truck. I see them all the time in parking structures and they do alright. Perhaps not in downtown Seattle (or perhaps any large city) though.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
R
right, but I was talking about the Model X height and width. Surely the length will be an issue but it is the same issue as for any full-sized truck. I see them all the time in parking structures and they do alright. Perhaps not in downtown Seattle (or perhaps any large city) though.
Gotcha. The whole parking space issue is a non starter for me. If you drive a 1\2 ton truck now, then there won't be much difference. With the air suspension you may be able to get into tighter garages where vertical clearance is limited.

With that said, I realize that some here dont have that experience under their belt.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag

I think he was referring to height...

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
my gmc 2500 with 35' tires / 4.5. lift is 7' tall + pretty wide with the mirrors - so for me, it's an improvement for accessibility...and still tows as much!

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
People who own full sized pickup truck already know that you don't park in "compact" parking spaces. Especially when those spaces are in a parking garage.

This is a "new to pickup trucks" owners' problem. People are trying to make the CT fit into their lifestyles. But hey, some people will own a Mastiff dog and live in a 400 sqft apartment in some city. Maybe they can make it work but it doesn't make sense to the rest of us.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
People who own full sized pickup truck already know that you don't park in "compact" parking spaces. Especially when those spaces are in a parking garage.

This is a "new to pickup trucks" owners' problem. People are trying to make the CT fit into their lifestyles. But hey, some people will own a Mastiff dog and live in a 400 sqft apartment in some city. Maybe they can make it work but it doesn't make sense to the rest of us.
Finally, someone gets it. I try hard not to get annoyed with all the "Cybertruck is to big" rhetoric.

Although for this case, he is pointing out how small even the "standard" spaces are in his area. So I can understand his worry, Here in Houston we are building 9'x20' parking spaces. If I put an 8'x16' parking space on a Plan I might be fired haha.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

I think that most everyone would agree with you on this, but there are other things going on. For one thing, in many garages they either donā€™t have full-sized parking spaces or they donā€™t have many, and like so many other things in life, people with small or expensive cars might use the larger spaces and leave the larger vehicles to fend for themselves. So using a ā€˜compactā€™ space as a measure is valid in my mind. Another note is that most SUVs are using these so-called compact spaces, and their dimensions can rival a pickup truck in many ways (except length, as earlier noted). So, would I prefer a full-sized space over a compact one? Absolutely. Will I suffer into a compact space if necessary? Yes. I think that is where the OP is coming from.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I think that most everyone would agree with you on this, but there are other things going on. For one thing, in many garages they either donā€™t have full-sized parking spaces or they donā€™t have many, and like so many other things in life, people with small or expensive cars might use the larger spaces and leave the larger vehicles to fend for themselves. So using a ā€˜compactā€™ space as a measure is valid in my mind. Another note is that most SUVs are using these so-called compact spaces, and their dimensions can rival a pickup truck in many ways (except length, as earlier noted). So, would I prefer a full-sized space over a compact one? Absolutely. Will I suffer into a compact space if necessary? Yes. I think that is where the OP is coming from.
Well, the good news is that the CT door panels won't get "dinged" up by other car doors. They might get scratched, but not likely dented.

And I don't think slashing tires is as popular as it used to be......... but I could be wrong on that.

I'm hopeful that the general CT driving public has enough sense to not park in compact car spaces. Let's face it, it's just not a cool thing to do. Park way over there, enjoy the walk across the parking lot, and remember to conceal carry if it's dark out. :oops:

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
Easy solution to the CT too big problem. Taken at the Getty Museum parking structure. A CT is at least as cool and special as a Bentley, no?
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example 1009191445
Sponsored