Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Easy solution to the CT too big problem. Taken at the Getty Museum parking structure. A CT is at least as cool and special as a Bentley, no?
1009191445.jpg
God help that person if they park like that in Texas, might as well put up a blinking neon sign that says "please F with my ride"
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
My strategy, wether in my old Dodge Ram Quab Long Bed 4x4 2500 (oh oh oh oh oh), or in the Model 3, is be strategic on parking spot selection.

1) Look for an end spot
2)Look for a spot next to a parking lot "island". If they are one of the stupid parking lots that has decided to plant a hedge in the island (WTF are they thinking here?), then make sure you can park on the left side of and cheat over as close to the island as possible, thus giving you more space between you and the next car. Be careful not to drag you wheels on the curb when you leave.
3) Go to the furthest point away from the store where are lots of open spaces
4) Park between two smaller vehicles.... if it's between two trucks, I don't even consider it.
5) If you're just there for a quick trip, convince yourself you can get in and out of the store before the other two cars, and just park wherever and take your chances with them not moving or opening their doors.

As I've said before, my favorite feature of the CT is NO DOOR DINGS. And now you know why.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Uh... if someone does door ding, hit, scrape, or otherwise do something, that is why we have Sentry mode, right?
And I am hoping that in the next 2 years, the summon/autopark feature will be reliable, so less of an issue.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My strategy, wether in my old Dodge Ram Quab Long Bed 4x4 2500 (oh oh oh oh oh), or in the Model 3, is be strategic on parking spot selection.

1) Look for an end spot
2)Look for a spot next to a parking lot "island". If they are one of the stupid parking lots that has decided to plant a hedge in the island (WTF are they thinking here?), then make sure you can park on the left side of and cheat over as close to the island as possible, thus giving you more space between you and the next car. Be careful not to drag you wheels on the curb when you leave.
3) Go to the furthest point away from the store where are lots of open spaces
4) Park between two smaller vehicles.... if it's between two trucks, I don't even consider it.
5) If you're just there for a quick trip, convince yourself you can get in and out of the store before the other two cars, and just park wherever and take your chances with them not moving or opening their doors.

As I've said before, my favorite feature of the CT is NO DOOR DINGS. And now you know why.
Sure, sure, we all have those strategies. It’s called common sense, survival, and lack of faith in your fellow man. But that is also off topic because the topic was dimensions. I imagine that the OP will also do these things. I hope everyone would. I also like the no more door dings feature or, should I say, I look forward to all the people who have opened their car doors on my car and walked away over the years getting some major payback. Ok, off by podium, and I apologize if anyone takes offense to this tone.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Door dings, parking lot accidents, scrapes, etc are all worries of the past for CT owners. If someone door dings you, they get their just reward of a bent in door while you never notice. If someone side swipes you parking, they deal with the damage and you just rub off the paint transfer, good as new.

The CT isn't invincible, but it'll sure leave many people sorry they ever messed with your truck on accident or on purpose!

Side note: I had no idea that some parking garages are almost exclusively compact only! I drove a Chevy Spark for a few years and was lucky to find a compact spot anywhere where I live. If I ever found one, it would 90% of the time be occupied by an SUV. Far from "compact."

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Door dings, parking lot accidents, scrapes, etc are all worries of the past for CT owners. If someone door dings you, they get their just reward of a bent in door while you never notice. If someone side swipes you parking, they deal with the damage and you just rub off the paint transfer, good as new.

The CT isn't invincible, but it'll sure leave many people sorry they ever messed with your truck on accident or on purpose!

Side note: I had no idea that some parking garages are almost exclusively compact only! I drove a Chevy Spark for a few years and was lucky to find a compact spot anywhere where I live. If I ever found one, it would 90% of the time be occupied by an SUV. Far from "compact."
In my experience, compact spaces are legislated to encourage people to buy smaller (as a proxy for more efficient) cars. This policy though has some undesirable side effects. Even people in small cars don't want door dings or to have someone park so close that they completely lose access to their own vehicle. This motivates some compact car owners to park in non-compact spaces. In lots where there are a limited total number of spaces (ie: more people want to park than the lot has space for), this forces some non-compact cars to either go find a different lot (not always a possibility) or to park their non-compact car in a compact space. And in extreme circumstances, it results in large vehicles being parked "in" compact spaces. This just exacerbates the feedback loop of compact car owners wanting to park in non-compact spaces. And large cars being forced to park in compact spaces. And a further side effect is that when large vehicles are parked in compact spaces, there is no way to defeat the physics of space so they end up "spilling over" into neighboring spaces. This spillage ends up lowering the total number of available spaces overall which again exacerbates the feedback loop.

I am VERY much looking forward to the CT where I can ignore the dangers of door dings, use summon to get access to my CT even if someone parks too close, and theoretically with parking ticket avoidance "find" additional parking if no other reasonable spaces are available.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
...Just not an end spot where you're exposed to traffic. Those make your truck into a target as it sticks into other trucks' turn radius. Make sure there's something between you and people turning into your bumper.

-Crissa
yeah. Had that happen to our xB at SFO.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
In our little town the chain grocery store has a fair sized parking lot with unrealistic parking lines painted for a car. Problem is we are a truck town, everyone has their mirrors extended for the trailer that is not behind them including me. Quite a few of us have large guards in front of the truck to keep deer out of your radiator. We also have a lot of duallies running around including me. Most of the trucks park in the back 40, not a rule we just do. New comers figure it out when a car parks next to them and they have to squeeze, I use to be able to squeeze in but now days I will walk farther in hope I will never have to try. I will be parking Cybertruck in the back 40.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Honestly, I'm hoping ai can hop out and let the Cybertruck do the squeeze for me.
I would recommend caution there. Here is the result of a 2017 Model S owner attempting same next to our 3 in a parking lot:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example IMG_8137.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example IMG_8138.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in parking spots - A measured example IMG_8139.JPG

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Honestly, I'm hoping ai can hop out and let the Cybertruck do the squeeze for me.

-Crissa
I would recommend caution there. Here is the result of a 2017 Model S owner attempting same next to our 3 in a parking lot:

Whenever possible, I would avoid letting my CT wedge itself into a tight space. I know it makes me bitterly angry when someone parks so close as to make my car inaccessible. I would hate to do that to someone. And even though the CT is mostly indestructible, tires can still get slashed.

If I park without blocking anyone and then I come back to discover my doors inaccessible, summon is awesome to get me access so no need to be angry.

But if I blocked someone’s doors, I would be so nervous about coming back to discover a slashed tire.