Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Will you be using your Cybertruck's boat-like features, and in what way??

Just tweeted this morning by Elon Musk.

"Cybertruck will be waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes & even seas that aren’t too choppy"

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Just tweeted this morning by Elon Musk.

"Cybertruck will be waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes & even seas that aren’t too choppy"

Wow !!!

Now just need a 220/240V outboard motor to mount on tailgate.

Anybody know of any place that makes 220/240V outboard motor?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Talk about a completely unnecessary feature. I hope no engineer resources were spent making this thing float. Door seals really aren't made to keep out water when submerged.

Battery pack, motors and rest of drive-train already have to survive 1-2 feet of water.

Because of low center mounted battery pack a Cybertruck with nothing in the bed is much more evenly balanced than a nothing in the bed ICE truck with heavy engine/transmission in front.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck MY Prius Merc VW
Country flag
Lol yet another item off my CT hit list! :love:
(#8 from Jul 21)

It's not actually that hard to do, in fact most new cars float already when their door seals are still good. The extra cost and engineering would be minimal and actually fairly useful.

The only really question is stability, and if EM is officially announcing it, it's going to have to handle a some level of sea state.

Propulsion could be a simple hitch mounted electric outboard. It just really needs a three phase motor output, maybe using the inverter outlet if it is three phase, and then controlling frequency for speed.

The thing that would would really set this apart would be some extending hydrofoils...
:D

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just start building the damn things. I couldn't care less if it floats!
Would you prefer if it sinks?
Do you want the James Bond Plaid Submarine feature as well?
You'll have to wait until 2024'. 😜

damnitjim

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7 S-Line, Audi Q5 PHEV S-Line, CT3 Pre-Order
Occupation
AV Field Engineer
Country flag
Talk about a completely unnecessary feature. I hope no engineer resources were spent making this thing float. Door seals really aren't made to keep out water when submerged.
I wouldn't say that... I am about to go on a hunting trip that requires some stream/river crossings. This feature is a game-changer. Just because YOU don't see the benefit doesn't mean there isn't one.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I wouldn't say that... I am about to go on a hunting trip that requires some stream/river crossings. This feature is a game-changer. Just because YOU don't see the benefit doesn't mean there isn't one.
Not just river/streams situations. What about all the emergency situations where people are in floods. Seem to be happening a lot more often. Most people do not have boats.

Cyberboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck twin motor
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
That’s a pretty nice feature to have but shouldn’t tesla first see about delivery dates? It is already 2 years overdue and still no sign of delivery dates! :( very sad! Will this create even more complications and delays?? Please Tesla! Deliver what you promised and improve stuff later!

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I see a new use case here....

Bob Anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonota
Country flag
I mean, I could easily say because YOU think it's a benefit, doesn't mean everyone else has to pay extra to make it work. And no, this isn't easy. I worked at an OEM where we sent all our vehicles down a pressurized water tunnel to check for leaks. Do you know what contributes to a simple drip leak?? Did the operator fully press/roll every section of the seal? Is there sufficient butal in the seal from the supplier? Is door geometry correct to the mating surface? What about door fit? Needs to fit tight, but too tight, whoops, that now affects door effort. Will there be a bilge pump just like in boats? Even they leak. I can only imagine the idiots that will try to treat their CT like a boat...

He mentioned not using in choppy water, which pretty much means you won't go on a lake, especially not with wakes from a boat. This brings up strong Top Gear Toyboata vibes...

topgear1KNP2006_468x330.jpg

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now all we need is mid-gate passthru so we can get to the bed to be able to fish from the bed.

No more loss of range towing a boat.
Number 4 on my list I believe.
I'm so glad EM follows my posts.

At least we all now know why the CT will have "Sail storage" bins. Ahoy captain! All aboard! 🤣

I'm currently working out the waterline before I go to bed...This news actually made my day. Lol. What a kid. :rolleyes:

CYBERBACKPACK