cybrnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBRTRCK
Country flag
Will the Cybertruck just be available in North America and maybe Chine, but not in Europe?
Elon recently claimed that the cybertruck will not be a world truck and therefor not be compliant with many Eu specs.
If this devastating news is true, Tesla should immediately clarify this, and stop taking orders in countries where they don't intend to sell the Cybertruck.
Sponsored

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
I bet there will be a EU approved version. Not going to be first though.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's up in the air if the EU will tighten regulations to exclude trucks like the Cybertruck before it comes out.

But, they will take care of homologation (the act of making sure it meets standards) before finally selling any. Since there are some Ford F-150s that are sold in Europe, I'm sure the Cybertruck will have no problems.

-Crissa

EspenT

First Name
Espen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf, Chevrolet Silverado
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
EUs regulations has requirements that the Cybertruck will not fulfil. Like soft (plastic/rubber)bumpers, no sharp corners etc to protect pedestrians. However the current regulations in Norway allow you to import a vehicle from USA as a second hand vehicle as soon as it has been registered in USA for at least 6 months and it is EPA approved. So there is still hope to get one.. But it will not sell in Norway in numbers like the other Teslas has done. For several months after the release of Model 3, 25% of all cars sold in Norway was a Model3. I don't think the Cybertruck could achieve the same, but they could achieve a significant market share if it was officially sold.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stating that the Cybertruck won't meet homologation is based on no evidence.

Please don't do that. We don't know what the production Cybertruck will have for legal reasons.

-Crissa

OP
OP

cybrnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBRTRCK
Country flag
Well it was actually Elon that stated that the Cybertuck would not comply the with Eu regulations.
I really hope that's wrong and that it will be compliant and available even in Europe

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He said 'may' not 'won't' and he also said they weren't aiming for that market, not that they didn't make it available there.

It will probably be classed as some sort of commercial vehicle and require a more stringent license but that's not the same as not available and not compliant.

-Crissa

OP
OP

cybrnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBRTRCK
Country flag
He actually said they made an executive decision to not make the truck a world truck so that it does not comply with a lot of EU specs. but they are ok with that and that they could just build a slightly smaller truck that comply with the EU specs in the future.

you can listen to the clip
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Automotive news Elon Musk part 2
they discuss the EU part starting at about 15min. in the clip.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
He actually said they made an executive decision to not make the truck a world truck so that it does not comply with a lot of EU specs. but they are ok with that and that they could just build a slightly smaller truck that comply with the EU specs in the future.

you can listen to the clip
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Automotive news Elon Musk part 2
they discuss the EU part starting at about 15min. in the clip.
Hopefully by the time they are rolling off the production line the newly Independent Nation of the UK will do a deal so it’s definitely legal here, we will not be following any EU rules from 1st January 2021.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hopefully by the time they are rolling off the production line the newly Independent Nation of the UK will do a deal so it’s definitely legal here, we will not be following any EU rules from 1st January 2021.
The UK will be following alot of EU rules for the foreseeable future, especially if you expect to sell anything.

And the UK has tighter rules for trucks.

-Crissa

christianUK

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck on order, 2017 Mustang, 2006 Range Rover
Country flag
I think it's clear that this is very much up in the air. Both you and Tesla can cancel and refund the (very small) £100/€100 queue fee if the truck you bought into doesn't make it over to Europe. So at least nobody will lose out financially. Would something much later, smaller and softer looking appeal in the same way as the launch vehicle? Not to me anyway. I'm not a fan of jellymould cars and that's what a lot of the European directives lead to. Cybertruck is different from the existing Tesla model range because they were designed to be World cars and he's specifically said the Cybertruck is not going to be a world car. Rivian will come to market first, has already been promised to Europe and will capture a lot of headlines. When it does I may well be tempted if the cybertruck is still looking like a US only dream.

CybertronUK

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara, Hulux Invincible
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think it's clear that this is very much up in the air. Both you and Tesla can cancel and refund the (very small) £100/€100 queue fee if the truck you bought into doesn't make it over to Europe. So at least nobody will lose out financially. Would something much later, smaller and softer looking appeal in the same way as the launch vehicle? Not to me anyway. I'm not a fan of jellymould cars and that's what a lot of the European directives lead to. Cybertruck is different from the existing Tesla model range because they were designed to be World cars and he's specifically said the Cybertruck is not going to be a world car. Rivian will come to market first, has already been promised to Europe and will capture a lot of headlines. When it does I may well be tempted if the cybertruck is still looking like a US only dream.
Until this is resolved one way or t’other, are you tempted by the Mach-E?

OP
OP

cybrnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBRTRCK
Country flag
Until this is resolved one way or t’other, are you tempted by the Mach-E?
For me the Mach-E is not an option, very hard to load and ATV or snowmobil on that :)
I really like the cybertrucks design. I do not mind the size of the truck, it would actually be one of the things I look forward to. I hoped that it would finally be a full size truck you could own in Europe without being taxed to death for emission and fuel consumption.
If Tesla could design a EU-friendly Cybertruck thats not too much smaller within the next 2-3years I could be interested.
Not a big fan of the Rivian design, but if this will be the only option for a larger electric truck within the next years in Europe maybe it will be the only option.
Sponsored