CyberTruck on Order. Thinking installing Solar? Is SunPower good?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Starting to think ahead to when we actually get delivery of our CyberTruck! With the recent news that Tesla lowered its Solar Panels to $1.49/watt I started looking, but Tesla is not available in my state. I'm starting the process of getting bids. A local company I know has a great reputation, they mostly use SunPower, Tesla PowerWalls, and are Tesla Certified so they could get us prepped for the future. Has anyone had any experience with SunPower Panels?
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Starting to think ahead to when we actually get delivery of our CyberTruck! With the recent news that Tesla lowered its Solar Panels to $1.49/watt I started looking, but Tesla is not available in my state. I'm starting the process of getting bids. A local company I know has a great reputation, they mostly use SunPower, Tesla PowerWalls, and are Tesla Certified so they could get us prepped for the future. Has anyone had any experience with SunPower Panels?
I've had SunPower installer out to the house we had in Albuquerque. I'm sold on the longevity, durability, and power production of the SunPower panels. They look good and seemed reasonable for the watts they produced.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
I've had SunPower installer out to the house we had in Albuquerque. I'm sold on the longevity, durability, and power production of the SunPower panels. They look good and seemed reasonable for the watts they produced.
Thanks for the feedback!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We have a 4 Kw array of Sun Power panels. On a good day they produce about 30 KwH. Your CT will probably be a 100-200 KwH battery. Do the math, will a solar array charge your CT battery and how long will it take? And is it worth the cost compared to the cost of grid-supplied power that can charge your CT over night? I say get a solar array if you want to offset your home’s usage, and a backup generator or a power wall to cover nighttime and emergencies. We got a whole home backup generator in case of power outages, enough to charge the EVs too. Just use your head in making these decisions.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
We have a 4 Kw array of Sun Power panels. On a good day they produce about 30 KwH. Your CT will probably be a 100-200 KwH battery. Do the math, will a solar array charge your CT battery and how long will it take? And is it worth the cost compared to the cost of grid-supplied power that can charge your CT over night? I say get a solar array if you want to offset your home’s usage, and a backup generator or a power wall to cover nighttime and emergencies. We got a whole home backup generator in case of power outages, enough to charge the EVs too. Just use your head in making these decisions.
Yes, we'll have to see what the numbers look like. I'm thinking more Solar for the house with battery backup & energy storage. I have a good set up now with a NG backup for hurricanes when we lose power for 3-4 days. With my utilities, I now have the option to switch to Time of Use metering with off-peak after 10 pm at 4.5 cents to charge CyberTruck.
Sponsored