BuzzMega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
How do we interpret order numbers as a function of priority? I’ve ordered the rwd one which is anticipated to start being built in late 2022.

Terminator

First Name
Malvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model X
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
I did order the dual motor with FSD So mines will be # 63,537 when I do this calculation so I might be getting it by end of 2022 ?

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 P100S, Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, but how is that different than the latest hot electronic device? People pay a premium because they have too much money and too little patience. I suppose it’s possible that reselling for a profit might be possible for a short time. Seems like too much trouble to me.
Yea, I agree, too much trouble to be worth the effort. Actually, the CT is the latest hot electronic device! I’m standing in line for two years, then I’m paying a lot of money without even a test drive, getting insurance, registration, plates, and hoping that I can scam some newbe for a profit? Where will I advertise? Dream on...aaahhh CT dreams.

Fenestrator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Occupation
Millwork Sales
Country flag
Not surprised. However this may be an issue to Tesla having launched the CT to tumultuous success in initial feedback and hundreds of thousands of reservations netting millions of dollars, how many will decline these reservations once they know there’s a realistically three plus year wait? Particularly with folks like me who are near the bottom of the near half million reservations. Will all those who reserved their CT and paid the $100 deposit still want the product after waiting four years? Did the waiting list for the Model S when it was introduced more than a decade ago see a loss in deposits due to that time delay getting that model to market? Time will tell if Tesla launched too early or not.

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Thanking about buying the Roadster to play with.. At least they come in red to match the X and 3 :giggle:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck (Orders) Demand Would Take 3-4 Years Production to Fulfill Says Musk IMG_7800

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
CT better than we can imagine. well I hope I can put a plow on it and with better batteries in the works I hope the range goes to 600!

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
here's the deal concerning how many will bail before buying
If it comes out and is what they say it is and more then there will NOT be many cancellations.
That being said. I bought 110 shares of TSLA in hopes that it grows enough in two years ( I bought it 2 weeks ago and it is up over $15k) that I can pay for the Cyber with the profit. And if the Cyber sucks the money won't be there to buy it (and then my mind is made up for me) because I waited till the end of December to place an order so the bugs would be worked out before I became a test rat.

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
CT better than we can imagine. well I hope I can put a plow on it and with better batteries in the works I hope the range goes to 600!

A Tesla owner mowing his pasture in KY.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck (Orders) Demand Would Take 3-4 Years Production to Fulfill Says Musk IMG_0054

Ludus

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick SUV
Country flag
Elon is usually very literal about these estimates so 3-4 years from the start of production takes into account the expected ramp-up pace for a radically new style of body manufacturing that amounts to re-inventing a lot of how the industry has worked for a century. If current orders as expected are 500k, that might be 2 years to go from startup to 150k/yr, producing about 150k, then doubling every year so 3-4 to get to 500k produced. Of course at that point they might make 600k, 1.2M, 2.4M the next 3 years.

If it works there might be CyberCars as ultra tough AV robo cabs, CyberVans, CyberSemis.

From Tesla’s POV 500k orders is as many as they need so no reason to bring it up.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I will wait. My place in line is 467,xxx based on the above. After doing some quick math to back out the single motor reservations and a conservative 15% in cancellations, I figure my net place is roughly 370,xxx. I purposely waited to order as I wanted to:
1) give the production line ample time / experience
2) hedge toward a possible million mile battery / extra range
3) give more time with my current daily driver which I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Zhe Wiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MYP, 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
FileMaker Developer
Country flag
He didn't say it would take 3-4 years to build the pre-orders. He said it would take 3-4 years to meet demand. Subtle, but important difference.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
He didn't say it would take 3-4 years to build the pre-orders. He said it would take 3-4 years to meet demand. Subtle, but important difference.
But he said "make...demand," right? If this quote is accurate:

"We don't comment on those detailed numbers, except the demand is just far more than we could reasonably make in the space of, I don't know, three or four years, something like that."

I read that as "400,000-500,000 is far more [trucks] than we could make in 3-4 years (starting now when we've only made a prototype and the battery tech doesn't exist yet, nor the generator, ATV, truck tech, tonneau, glass, solar panels, self driving tech (approved), body production tech, motors, gov. compliance, etc." I think he's counting on 2 years ramping up (and getting things designed and approved) and averaging at most 5K a week (250K a year) after a period of sorting out production. So at the end of 4 years no chance the pre-orders (in today's numbers) are finished. That's what Musk said.

Zhe Wiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MYP, 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
FileMaker Developer
Country flag
But it would be erroneous to think that "preorders" is the only demand in the next 3-4 years. I'm sure he's using preorders to estimate demand over the next 3-4 years, but it's not 100% of demand in the next 4 years. It's very difficult to discern exactly what he meant by his statement. It's open to interpretation. I just can't imagine that he's saying it would take 3-4 years to build existing preorders.
Sponsored