Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I cant wait to hear that wiper working......just cant comprehend how fast that big thing will be able to go in long downpours in the south
Apparently the wiper will be powered by a Model 3 motor. 😂

I removed the Aero Caps on my Model Y and although it costs me a small mileage penalty, I prefer the look of the Gemini 19" stock RIM. The rims you see on these photos are probably the base tire rim. The CyberTruck being what it is, needs those Aero Caps to maximize the range potential so I'm sure they will be provided.

BTW, on the Model Y there is an approximate 7% reduction in range @ 70mph without the Aero Covers. That equates to about 20 miles per full charge in range penalty. I imagine that would be that or even more with the CyberTruck.
7% savings with the aero caps is huge assuming it's something that's consistent and repeatable (not doubting you, just wanting to be objective). When I was looking up an idea for aftermarket aero caps, I was seeing improvements from only 1% to 3%. 🤔
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My Jeep Grand Cherokee with QuadraLift (air adjustable ride height) goes to "Aero" level when I'm traveling above 45MPH. "Areo" is lower than "Normal" but higher than "Entry/Exit" level. There is nothing I can do to change the ride height from "Aero" when going above 45MPH.
This is exactly what I’m thinking. It is also roughly what the Model S does I believe. If you are on the highway you only need a few inches of travel.

Lowering the CG is also likely a lot safer, particularly for cars like the Jeep.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In this shot you can easily see the difference in various panels - doors vs. the rear vault vs. front fender sheet metal.
Always wondered about this? Was once a roofing contractor specializing in metal only. Of course we used galvanized metal not SS but there just has to be a slight difference in each roll of cold rolled stainless. It's called spangle which is a difference or a variance in the grain. Unless each sheet of SS is off the same roll and cut off the roll in the same direction (top to bottom) there will be mismatched spangle on each CT. Matching spangle on each truck will be very hard to impossible to maintain.
This of course will not make me cancel my order ... just mentioning this for the ultra fussy.
Interesting nugget- thanks for sharing. If Tesla would decide to do some sort of buffing/polishing process would that create a similar look on each panel? Obviously buffing would be more process steps but that would still seem simple compared to painting.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Apparently the wiper will be powered by a Model 3 motor. 😂

7% savings with the aero caps is huge assuming it's something that's consistent and repeatable (not doubting you, just wanting to be objective). When I was looking up an idea for aftermarket aero caps, I was seeing improvements from only 1% to 3%. 🤔
I got the info from this youtube test. His methods seem reasonable and the results surprised him as well. I'm guessing the 70mph speed was a big factor.

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Interesting nugget- thanks for sharing. If Tesla would decide to do some sort of buffing/polishing process would that create a similar look on each panel? Obviously buffing would be more process steps but that would still seem simple compared to painting.
Maybe brushed stainless would be the better 'simple" answer? Don't know that much about SS

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I cut and pasted the body lowered to the tires, on this original image from Tesla in 2020. I've posted it before, but this seems to go along with this thread. I would hope the adjustable suspension can be dropped to the bottom like this when my CT is parked. It would look awesome backed into my driveway like this. My brother-in-law has a 53 Ford pickup with airbags you can lower like that. It really looks sharp.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck pic - in lowest air suspension mode & windows down frontlowered

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I cut and pasted the body lowered to the tires, on this original image from Tesla in 2020. I've posted it before, but this seems to go along with this thread. I would hope the adjustable suspension can be dropped to the bottom like this when my CT is parked. It would look awesome backed into my driveway like this. My brother-in-law has a 53 Ford pickup with airbags you can lower like that. It really looks sharp.

frontlowered.jpg
Nice stance on a coupé. Never drop so low. Can’t rest atop tire treads cause reasons:
  • not all driveways are level which affects curb weight parked.
  • every driveway may dip over-articulating the suspension in-contact with the body, flare and casting
  • emptying the air suspension has limits which exposes the components to damage at every cycling down
Damn if it doesn’t look cool in coupé profile!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Nice stance on a coupé. Never drop so low. Can’t rest atop tire treads cause reasons:
  • not all driveways are level which affects curb weight parked.
  • every driveway may dip over-articulating the suspension in-contact with the body, flare and casting
  • emptying the air suspension has limits which exposes the components to damage at every cycling down
Damn if it doesn’t look cool in coupé profile!
Your reasons make sense. I just think there should be a park setting that is as low as it will go. With a car parked you don't need any suspension travel. But in a driving setting, even on a highway low aero drag setting you still need some suspension travel. During the night of the reveal I watched several ride-along videos and the drivers were talking up the adaptive air suspension, with the possibility of having many suspension modes/settings. I think it would be cool to have a parked/slammed setting. It's amazing how different the same exact vehicle looks with different ride heights.
To me, the CT looks way wider when it gets lowered. Here's the same image from Tesla (without it lowered). It doesn't look nearly as wide. I guess it's like tall girls look skinnier than short girls. :unsure:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck pic - in lowest air suspension mode & windows down frontquarter

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck pic - in lowest air suspension mode & windows down frontlowered

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
This is one of those things where we won’t really know about until production. It is possible the whole side will be cut from a single piece of steel. Seems like a good way to minimize waste. Otherwise you have a piece with a big door shaped hole in it. They might need that extra material so that might be impossible.

Also… if they stamped some star shaped pieces out and adhered them to the tailgate… would it be a star spangled banner?
For sure.

Mike the cyberguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV
Country flag
Your reasons make sense. I just think there should be a park setting that is as low as it will go. With a car parked you don't need any suspension travel. But in a driving setting, even on a highway low aero drag setting you still need some suspension travel. During the night of the reveal I watched several ride-along videos and the drivers were talking up the adaptive air suspension, with the possibility of having many suspension modes/settings. I think it would be cool to have a parked/slammed setting. It's amazing how different the same exact vehicle looks with different ride heights.
To me, the CT looks way wider when it gets lowered. Here's the same image from Tesla (without it lowered). It doesn't look nearly as wide. I guess it's like tall girls look skinnier than short girls. :unsure:

frontquarter.jpg

frontlowered.jpg
You know would be cool, if the CT would adjust to your height when you approach it, so you don't have to climb or duck when you get in. Cool over the air update 😝🤘

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My Jeep Grand Cherokee with QuadraLift (air adjustable ride height) goes to "Aero" level when I'm traveling above 45MPH. "Areo" is lower than "Normal" but higher than "Entry/Exit" level. There is nothing I can do to change the ride height from "Aero" when going above 45MPH.
To get air you most likely need to go over 45. I still have a little teenager in me so under the right conditions I will be getting air. I will need the ability to override the suspension system to softened my landing.
Sponsored