Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Scuttlebutt via Youtube asserts Tesla have found a better stainless steel for Cybertruck.

Yes, s.s. better for Cybertruck production, environment, longevity and use application the 304L purportedly solves 30X problems. Tesla welds embrittle overtime in 30X. The tensile skin brittles which degrades exoskeleton frame in 30X. And Tesla forming 30X was more problematic than existing production machinery.

Its unclear ramifications for SpaceX dual use s.s. Starships.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don’t understand entirely. Tesla said 30X because they didn’t want to say what the grade is, or because it is exotic enough to not fall into an existing grade, but 304 is in the 30X austenitic family of stainless steels. My take on your statement is that you think 304 and 30X are completely different. Is that read incorrect? I doubt that Tesla will use 304 because it can rust. Maybe not a 316 or 317 but maybe some Molybdenum for corrosion resistance. I am not a materials engineer so this is pure speculation.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Not surprising considering Tesla's penchant for lean-rapid design. Materials science is a big part of Tesla/Space X. The 304L SS variant seems a good choice for the Cybertruck being as it is plentiful, easier to form and better long term durability. Being the skin of the Starship, it certainly is a product Tesla already has in the quiver.

Information like this makes the waiting part much easier as the end product just keeps getting better. The fact that the Cybertrucks will be rolling out of Austin next year is mind blowing and very exciting, This will be the biggest impact product Tesla has produced and a crowning achievement in changing the automobile industry from ICE to EV.

OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Youtube likens 304L to “appliance grade”. That’s marketing speak for affordable, long-lasting, ultra-reliable, functional, ease of service, color, and extended life.

I have a s.s. sink that is a pain. Stains, discoloration and rust are its nemisis. Surely, it’s an inferior appliance-grade. All my past s.s. appliances enjoy finger prints including top-of-line Sub-zero, except a Samsung coated refrig.

Wonder whether a bespoke Cybertruck Design Studio could be forthcoming or after sale affiliate vendor(s) is the route Tesla want customers to go. Customizing Cybertrucks color, finish, and treatments for the appliance grade 304L s.s. finish options.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don’t understand entirely. Tesla said 30X because they didn’t want to say what the grade is, or because it is exotic enough to not fall into an existing grade, but 304 is in the 30X austenitic family of stainless steels. My take on your statement is that you think 304 and 30X are completely different. Is that read incorrect? I doubt that Tesla will use 304 because it can rust. Maybe not a 316 or 317 but maybe some Molybdenum for corrosion resistance. I am not a materials engineer so this is pure speculation.
This was my understanding too, the X was not an actual designation, it is to say it’s 300 series but not a known variant-its a placeholder for “secret sauce”.

Last edited:

OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
My take on your statement is that you think 304 and 30X are completely different.
30X is completely different than 304L from the information conveyed by the video.
30X = 0.1% carbon
304L= 0.003% carbon(i.e.L for low carbon)
Supposedly, 30X rusts at welds. 304 does not due to its low carbon.
The narrative alluded to the exoskeleton embrittlement over time making the frame susceptible to catastrophic breakage. That would be raison d’être for the change.
Structural batterypack was an enabler requiring much less structural from 30X s.s. exoskeleton. That provided an opportunity to re-spec the skin of Cybertruck. Disadvantages with 304L?

IDK, Youtube offered none.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I seem to recall years back that
304L was the choice stainless steel discussed in the forums here.

OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Not surprising considering Tesla's penchant for lean-rapid design
It caught my attention!

30X had that finality to its SpaceX ringing endorsement. It was no whimsical flair to boost Cybertruck uptake at launch. SpaceX had vetted, flown, exploded and scrapped that material to death. An unspoken narrative dovetailed with the obvious. This S.S. was part of a bulk shipment enjoying a dual-use purchase discount. It fed the affordable pricing revealed that Tesla would deliver a pickup to replace their gas burning trucks they could afford.

Tesla didn’t “ 1 and done” Cybertruck. Most companies would consider such a well conceived, prototyped and integrated design as Cybertruck to be “done”.

It speaks volumes of the company commitment, engineering dedication and leadership to keep all options open until the “Golden Master”. I am surprised this scuttlebutt is true, this late into SOP to re-spec the skin.

Kudos team Tesla.

OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Steel Dynamics has said they don't make that steel.
Yesterday I deleted Youtube for reasons just like that. It has been posting dummy links to NOP.

This morning it was on a backup iPad. I should have just deleted. WTF why would someone go to all the narrative scripting, engineering and video trouble to fake out Cybertruck, Tesla and publish something so bs?

Youtube is gone!

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Youtube likens 304L to “appliance grade”. That’s marketing speak for affordable, long-lasting, ultra-reliable, functional, ease of service, color, and extended life.

I have a s.s. sink that is a pain. Stains, discoloration and rust are its nemisis. Surely, it’s an inferior appliance-grade. All my past s.s. appliances enjoy finger prints including top-of-line Sub-zero, except a Samsung coated refrig.

Wonder whether a bespoke Cybertruck Design Studio could be forthcoming or after sale affiliate vendor(s) is the route Tesla want customers to go. Customizing Cybertrucks color, finish, and treatments for the appliance grade 304L s.s. finish options.

Are you a friend of this product?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reportedly getting better stainless steel material -- from 30X s.s. to 304L Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser Powder,

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reportedly getting better stainless steel material -- from 30X s.s. to 304L Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser safety notes

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Some time back, I saw one SS materials scientist note that it was unclear if “30X” was intended to place it in the 301-series of SS, or if instead the 30X was intended to modify the “cold-rolled” nomenclature

In any event, isn’t this olddddd news?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reportedly getting better stainless steel material -- from 30X s.s. to 304L 19B135AA-1AFE-4387-8113-DE02AB42D10C
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reportedly getting better stainless steel material -- from 30X s.s. to 304L 401D924F-BB27-46D7-843B-C702D51ED31C

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Some time back, I saw one SS materials scientist note that it was unclear if “30X” was intended to place it in the 301-series of SS, or if instead the 30X was intended to modify the “cold-rolled” nomenclature

In any event, isn’t this olddddd news?

19B135AA-1AFE-4387-8113-DE02AB42D10C.jpeg
401D924F-BB27-46D7-843B-C702D51ED31C.jpeg

Tesla original use of term 30X was an approximation.

Elon is saying even the official 304L now has so many varieties that 304L is a now a class (approximation ) too.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag