Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
That information doesn't really answer the question most customers have and provides competition with valuable data.

If your reservation number doesn't really tell you reliably when your truck will ship, why give Ford/ GM/ short sellers, etc that information?
It is not most, but every customer that would like to know the basic information: "where do I stand in line?". That is why we jump through hoops with the spreadsheet.

I know exactly what my spot in line is with lightening and Ford is not freaking out about competition. In fact Elon was not freaking out about it either:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck reservation order number -- how to tell your place in line 1625788667765

He just shared it when it was important to him and now it is not.
Sponsored

cyberpays

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
northviewhomeowner.wixsite.com
Vehicles
CT Duel 69 vette all original(for sale)2019 RAM PU
Occupation
Retire software/life safety sales
Country flag
I will have 5 more grandchildren before I get mine I ordered in March this year...yikes

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is not most, but every customer that would like to know the basic information: "where do I stand in line?". That is why we jump through hoops with the spreadsheet.

I know exactly what my spot in line is with lightening and Ford is not freaking out about competition. In fact Elon was not freaking out about it either:

1625788667765.png

Much truth to that last remark of yours.

The big thing is Tesla doesn't bother to tell you this because they don't need to. They have sold out capacity for the next 18+ months. They might lose a customer or two by giving us the silent treatment, but I doubt enough to impact sales for quite some time.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Of course I "want" a concrete shipping date but that was not what I was asking for. What I asked for was the information Tesla does have. The sequence, Trim and number of CT reservations. We will still have to do some woodoo with our guessing but we will do that woodoo with better information. That is something Tesla has but does not share. It does not require any commitment on their part.
No auto maker would share that information, or any other information. Why would you expect Tesla to?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No auto maker would share that information, or any other information. Why would you expect Tesla to?
Are you really telling me you have no interest in knowing how many people are ahead of you? The spreadsheet is a lot of guess work and much less accurate than info Tesla has.

I knew that information the moment I made my reservation with Ford.

I am sure this system makes it easier for Tesla to figure out total numbers for last quarter and makes the numbers larger but not as useful for the customer. It takes a simple filtering for them. It is not too much to expect. As far as why I want to? Because in absence of actual delivery dates it helps me guess better on how to plan for future.

As Ogre mentioned above simple math of supply and demand makes what I want irrelevant. I can’t wait for that to change. Not anytime soon.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I registered April 2020. 428,xxx in line by the estimator. I guessed that because of the need to buy land, clear it, construct a factory from scratch - during a pandemic - and get all the equipment and a trained factory crew that Tesla would not even start building the CT until approximately September 2023. I see what Tesla has already done and amazed at the speed and progress they have accomplished. Then I read all these begging and pleas, rants, threats of buying the competition and I just shrug my shoulders and think, “I’m getting mine WAY before I ever imagined I would.”

First world problems.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

1625788667765.png

You couldn't pay me to get a Ford. I have too much history with that company. But if numbers in line are what is important then maybe the choice is simple. I heard somewhere that they are only making 50,000 of them the first year. Is that a fiction? And what is their situation with battery supply? Knowing your number isn't everything.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
There are several factors that will change Jason's actual position in line and I am not sure how well they are accounted for in the chart.

1. No foreign orders will be produced for quite a while. Probably until the US demand is filled.
2. Which model will be produced first. I have a DM on order but if the TM is going to be produced first I may switch.
3. The number of people who cannot come up with the bucks when their truck is ready and how that will be handled by Tesla. Will you get a two week window or will your number come up when you come up with the money?
4. People with multiple orders. Will people who have multiple orders buy them all and try to sell their extras and will Tesla try to stop them?
5. If FTSD is not ready will people postpone their purchase or just cancel?
6. How many of the numbers are actually orders for a CT?
7. A number of people will not be alive to take their order (I know I’m worried bout that). Can I assign my reservation over to the next of kin???

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You couldn't pay me to get a Ford. I have too much history with that company.
I used to say the same exact thing right up the time I signed up for lightening. I still am not crazy about Ford and by no means saying it is a better choice than CT. However as Pappy has mentioned above, CT may not be a realistic choice for some of us at the end of the line and knowing my place in line is important to me to the extent that it help me guess better how realistic it is for me to wait for CT. My reference to Ford was a response to a comment that other companies do not share that information. It was simply an example that they do.

I heard somewhere that they are only making 50,000 of them the first year. Is that a fiction? And what is their situation with battery supply?
we could say the same things about CT with a whole lot more that we don’t know about at this point.

Knowing your number isn't everything.
Absolutely true. But it is something.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I used to say the same exact thing right up the time I signed up for lightening. I still am not crazy about Ford and by no means saying it is a better choice than CT. However as Pappy has mentioned above, CT may not be a realistic choice for some of us at the end of the line and knowing my place in line is important to me to the extent that it help me guess better how realistic it is for me to wait for CT. My reference to Ford was a response to a comment that other companies do not share that information. It was simply an example that they do.

we could say the same things about CT with a whole lot more that we don’t know about at this point.

Absolutely true. But it is something.
Regarding the number that will be made in the first calendar year, Tesla never said that they wouldn't make as many as they can. Ford specifically said they would only make 50K. The only reason I mentioned it is if we are anxious about when our reservation number might come up then knowing that the company will cap the number they make is relevant. Regarding the batteries, we know for a fact that every automake except Tesla is buying batteries from other companies and so they might be limited even beyond how many cars they intend to make by supply limitations. Please don't get me wrong, I have similar age-related concerns over delivery but I have much higher confidence that Tesla can deliver [a high volume of] BEVs than any other manufacturer.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Regarding the number that will be made in the first calendar year, Tesla never said that they wouldn't make as many as they can. Ford specifically said they would only make 50K. The only reason I mentioned it is if we are anxious about when our reservation number might come up then knowing that the company will cap the number they make is relevant. Regarding the batteries, we know for a fact that every automake except Tesla is buying batteries from other companies and so they might be limited even beyond how many cars they intend to make by supply limitations. Please don't get me wrong, I have similar age-related concerns over delivery but I have much higher confidence that Tesla can deliver [a high volume of] BEVs than any other manufacturer.
I am crossing my fingers that Ford Delays and Tesla‘s production speed reduce the gap for me enough so I won’t have to compromise for a lightening and get my CT instead before I kick the bucket.

Last edited:

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
7. A number of people will not be alive to take their order (I know I’m worried bout that). Can I assign my reservation over to the next of kin???
8. I thought of another factor that might come into play. There seems to be a number of people in this group who want some of the virtues of a CT but are concerned about what may be a downside for them. No place to charge, not enough room in the garage, not enough range even with the TM. Some of these people are going to look at other EVs. The top model Aptera checks all three of those boxes and there are other EVs coming out that will appeal to some of the people who are ahead of us , no matter where you are in the line. Don't get me wrong. I am still going to get my CT because my Dodge diesel is getting pretty rusty and I often need a truck. I am thinking about getting an Aptera as well. Never having to charge and 1000 mile range appeals to me. Those who live in the sunnier areas of the country and who are facing rolling blackouts might really appreciate Aptera's ability to charge 40 or so miles a day.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla doesn't know when they're going to ship the Cybertrucks.

Heck, they don't know when they're going to ship most cars you order from them! There's a reason the website says 'in 6-12 weeks' or somesuch when you order a Model Y. ...Actually, looking right now it just says 'October'. That's like, worse!

We just have to live with our '6-18 months' right now. We're just too far out to know this.

-Crissa
Sponsored