Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One feature of my wife's 2018 Tesla Model 3 with the stock Aero rims, there is a "lip" on the tire rim that gets mangled if one gets too close to a curb. Unlike domestic vehicles where one has a tendency to use the tire as a "curb feeler", if you do the same with the Model 3-you come away with a beat up rim. That happened to my wife within 15 minutes of her first drive after picking up her Tesla. And I too have done the same.
Any idea on the rim construction of the CT? Seems like if the CT does any off roading, the rim construction might be different to avoid damage?
Sponsored

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
One feature of my wife's 2018 Tesla Model 3 with the stock Aero rims, there is a "lip" on the tire rim that gets mangled if one gets too close to a curb. Unlike domestic vehicles where one has a tendency to use the tire as a "curb feeler", if you do the same with the Model 3-you come away with a beat up rim. That happened to my wife within 15 minutes of her first drive after picking up her Tesla. And I too have done the same.
Any idea on the rim construction of the CT? Seems like if the CT does any off roading, the rim construction might be different to avoid damage?
Yeah I hope them rims be bulletproof too. Maybe even curb proof!
I got it, dent proof!

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Isn't the Aero "Rim" just a hubcap? Doesn't it have a real rim underneath?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I've avoided the bad habit of using my tire sidewalls as a "curb feeler" and have learned to be a pretty good judge of where my tires are. When off-roading difficult trails nothing is more important.

That said, something about the Model 3 is deceptive compared to other cars and I've done a couple of light curb rash "boo-boos", the first one I simply turned a 90 degree urban corner too soon and nicked the curb with my back rim very lightly. I chalked it up to how responsive the steering is - it seems to turn in about as quickly as you think "I want to turn".

The second time was parallel parking. Both of these mistakes caused me to recalibrate my understanding of exactly where the wheels are. I'm thinking I'm done hitting curbs. But a little light curb rash is not the end of the world. I put a little touch-up paint on the bright spots and no one is going to notice it without looking really closely. It certainly doesn't impact the way it drives or the reliability, it's purely cosmetic.

The images of the Cybertruck I've seen make it look like it has some kind of wheel covers. I'm not that fond of the look and they don't look like they were designed with aerodynamics and range first and foremost in mind. I'll probably run them as delivered for a while until I see what other options are available. I'm never in too big of a hurry to replace things that aren't broken! That said, if they bother me too much, or they get nasty looking, I'll look around and see what has become available.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Yes, it's just a plastic disc to manage airflow in the wheel areas. At higher freeway speeds (70-80 mph) they add significant range. I haven't done scientific testing but I have run them enough either way to know the difference is quite noticeable. Probably around 15 more miles of range. It could be even a little more than that at those speeds.

The rims underneath are very nice wheels, light and plenty strong. Nothing too exotic but definitely a step above normal aftermarket rims that are popular.

OP
OP
Old Pro

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is actually a very cool rim under the plastic Aero hubcap. We now run without the plastic hubcaps which are supposed to increase the mileage a bit.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
There is actually a very cool rim under the plastic Aero hubcap. We now run without the plastic hubcaps which are supposed to increase the mileage a bit.
That was my understanding. That should take care of the scuffing issue. On the CT side of things, the plastic covers on the demo looked stupid to me. Underneath they were the Black Arachnid wheels they sell, which are super cool. I'm hoping the truck comes with standard rims, and if not I'd be ditching the covers right away.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
The Cybertruck will have most likely 35" All-Terrain Tires. Those tires do expand out past the rim (look at Full-Size Trucks out on the road today). I am not worried about the Rims getting road rash.

A helpful tip to prevent road rash in your current Teslas is to create a new driver profile, let's call it "Parking" and keep your seat/steering wheel positions the same but tilt your mirrors down to be able to see your back wheels. That way whens its time to parallel park or when driving through a tight drive through you just simply hit the "Parking" driver profile and your mirrors will adjust to assist you in not scraping your rims.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I've avoided the bad habit of using my tire sidewalls as a "curb feeler" and have learned to be a pretty good judge of where my tires are. When off-roading difficult trails nothing is more important.

That said, something about the Model 3 is deceptive compared to other cars and I've done a couple of light curb rash "boo-boos", the first one I simply turned a 90 degree urban corner too soon and nicked the curb with my back rim very lightly. I chalked it up to how responsive the steering is - it seems to turn in about as quickly as you think "I want to turn".

The second time was parallel parking. Both of these mistakes caused me to recalibrate my understanding of exactly where the wheels are. I'm thinking I'm done hitting curbs. But a little light curb rash is not the end of the world. I put a little touch-up paint on the bright spots and no one is going to notice it without looking really closely. It certainly doesn't impact the way it drives or the reliability, it's purely cosmetic.

The images of the Cybertruck I've seen make it look like it has some kind of wheel covers. I'm not that fond of the look and they don't look like they were designed with aerodynamics and range first and foremost in mind. I'll probably run them as delivered for a while until I see what other options are available. I'm never in too big of a hurry to replace things that aren't broken! That said, if they bother me too much, or they get nasty looking, I'll look around and see what has become available.
In other words, these people need to learn to drive better. ?

OP
OP
Old Pro

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Cybertruck will have most likely 35" All-Terrain Tires. Those tires do expand out past the rim (look at Full-Size Trucks out on the road today). I am not worried about the Rims getting road rash.

A helpful tip to prevent road rash in your current Teslas is to create a new driver profile, let's call it "Parking" and keep your seat/steering wheel positions the same but tilt your mirrors down to be able to see your back wheels. That way whens its time to parallel park or when driving through a tight drive through you just simply hit the "Parking" driver profile and your mirrors will adjust to assist you in not scraping your rims.
Much appreciated suggestion. You managed to see the CT at the Peterson Automotive Museum before the Covid shutdown. I had tickets for the day the museum closed! I wonder if the Model 3 parking sensors or side camera could be programmed in such a way to provide a warning if it appears a "scuffing" is about to occur? I rarely see another Model 3 without a beat up rim.

audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
That was my understanding. That should take care of the scuffing issue. On the CT side of things, the plastic covers on the demo looked stupid to me. Underneath they were the Black Arachnid wheels they sell, which are super cool. I'm hoping the truck comes with standard rims, and if not I'd be ditching the covers right away.
On our Model 3 the wife curbed the wheel also. It was with the aero cover on. The lip that is being discussed is actually still exposed even if you have the aero cover installed.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, F150, Sorento
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On older cars the tires were higher profile and so the sidewall stuck out beyond the WHEELS. So they were not easily rashed. Today the tires are low profile so there is less sidewall to stick out.

OP
OP
Old Pro

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On our Model 3 the wife curbed the wheel also. It was with the aero cover on. The lip that is being discussed is actually still exposed even if you have the aero cover installed.
Yes, you are correct. Even with the Aero cover on the lip is still exposed. I found some matching paint with a detail brush on Amazon and then applied a sealer. Looks good if one doesn't look to close!

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
If what everyone says is true, I will likely get 17" beadlock steel wheels for 40" tires - quite likely. But, I will first see what Elon offers as upgrades. I might be willing to go with 38s if they are an option at Tesla... this truck is screaming for larger wheels (huge truck makes even 35s look small, that says something), and larger is always better with wheels/tires, for off-road ability, safety, and overall ride... but, we won't know until we know. peace

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, F150, Sorento
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The truck is supposed to be the same size as an F150. I wouldn't call it huge. Larger wheels and tires should cost you range and rid quality. To each his own.
Sponsored