Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100D, Escalade, Acura MDX, Focus ST, PriusC
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I too am not a fan of the wheel covers on Cybertruck, or the special tires with the grooved sidewall. Production versions would be wise to go with something factory spec like Duratrac tires that seem ubiquitous with “off road” trim levels from the big 3. Im hoping for a black H1 looking “mill-surp” wheel as opposed to a 22” Model X wheel, it would go with the ‘future tank’ aesthetic Elon claims to be shooting for.
I am glad I am not the only one. One of the few CT visuals I really don't care for is the rim/tire combo: both their look and their practicality. Custom tires would likely have higher costs (I wouldn't expect to see these on the production model) and design elements that protrude away from the rim I imagine would be scuffed up way too soon. I prefer simpler, normal tires, and clean rims.

That said, I figure it will be like previous Teslas; the cover will match the concept, but be removable, and the rim below it will be perfect.
Sponsored

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
My CT won’t see any curbs, a rock or a log most likely, not a curb. I would have suspected the height of the tire would be much taller than the curbs anyways? IDK, my trucks always jump the dang curb not rub rims.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Covers fail, fall off and always when going bat ootta hell. A rimless wheel design is Tesla’s last challenge before production. Rotating mass is a real challenge the larger the meats-to-ground grow to 40”.

Goodyear partnered with Tesla on prototype. Ran Goodyear Wrangler MT’s on a ‘03Rubicon - they worked well, lightweight and ride soft. I got 40k out of them in 70/30 hwy/offroad. They did not protect the wheel‘s rim. Wrangler’s stance is widest on the market, looks cool and the vehicle tracks better.

Rimless aluminum wheels work. Big tire sidewall bulge first hits all objects before the 16” wheel. Never have touched aluminum yet. Never broken a bead airdown 12# psi - 80# psi trailering. Never punctured a true 6ply sidewall yet. Rimless works. That metal bead on the exterior rim is non-essential. If it is for you, beadlocks are for you. A rimbead is no help.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I don't know what rimless wheels are? I'm not new to trucks either, curious what you mean?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I don't know what rimless wheels are? I'm not new to trucks either, curious what you mean?
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Rims? 2BBAAD00-4966-473D-A7A0-966F43376E5E

That wheel foregoes a rim bead. There is no rim at the outer edge to build a scuff-bead which is all the rage in new wheel designs. This is the Wrangler sidewall. Its bulge deflects rather than puncture. These wheels are 23 y.o. like-new. They’ve hauled through Overthrust belt oil fields, Rockies, Mohave, Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts. No problem running rimless wheel, no problem mounting 10ply tires.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Hummmmmm..........I wonder if they will make Crager SS's for the Cybertruck?
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Rims? 1615442077519
Sponsored