Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Kind of a dumb basic question, but at age 69 I rarely care about asking something I do not know the answer to.

I ordered (Day #2 reservations) the CT single motor version. Question is: Where is the single motor "mounted" on that version?

OK, I most likely won't see my unit until I am way into my 70's, so let's get that out of the way...

2nd Question: Will the range of the CT with the single motor be diminished due to the weight of the CT? That question came to mind recently.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
1. No one knows but my guess would be the rear. Some think that the single-motor variant won’t happen.
2. Tesla has known the weight of the CT from the get go and they don’t like underdelivering so my guess would be that the range estimate will be met.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's what I ordered, too! Usually Tesla tries to upsell preorder holders, because what they end up shipping is always just slightly different.

Question is: Where is the single motor "mounted" on that version?

2nd Question: Will the range of the CT with the single motor be diminished due to the weight of the CT? That question came to mind recently.
Single-motor versions were always in the rear. I prefer front, but with a load, rear gets better traction.

Diminished how? They usually give the cheapest model a smaller battery. But the two-motor generally has two advantages: A bigger battery pack, and two motors tuned to be optimal at different speeds. It's mostly the battery pack, the dual-motor will weigh more.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's what I ordered, too! Usually Tesla tries to upset preorders, because what they end up shipping is always just slightly different.

Single-motor versions were always in the rear. I prefer front, but with a load, rear gets better traction.

Diminished how? They usually give the cheapest model a smaller battery. But the two-motor generally has two advantages: A bigger battery pack, and two motors tuned to be optimal at different speeds. It's mostly the battery pack, the dual-motor will weigh more.

-Crissa
Did you mean to type "Upsell"? I thought the OP was asking if the range would change from the originally-promised value.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Kind of a dumb basic question, but at age 69 I rarely care about asking something I do not know the answer to.

I ordered (Day #2 reservations) the CT single motor version. Question is: Where is the single motor "mounted" on that version?

OK, I most likely won't see my unit until I am way into my 70's, so let's get that out of the way...

Ordered a Tri w/FSD Day#3. A Single is best Cybertruck
It fully replaces one ICE truck
Less expensive to buy
Lightest weight Cybertruck (+range)
Lowest capacity =1750lbs
Lighter battery(+range)
Least rotational mass
Lightest suspension
Highest embodiment(no part is the best parts)
Tesla motor reliability(no backup redundancy)
2WD less tire wear

Tri was the functional equivalent to what I own and pull but don’t haul more than 800# but use the volume capacity. SglCT fits best even though I’ll change and wait into my 70’s.

Better because a Sgl isn’t dragging around extra motors, extra weight or extra rotational mass of AWD or 4WD. At the end of the day, SglCT will out perform heavier Cybertrucks, thus the delayed production, IMHO.

Yes, it’s wagering, betting a single motor CT will be performative in sand, roadway and rain-y conditions better than AWD. It sacrifices snow, mud and 1750# load capacity. All conditions that don’t apply. They’re corner and Unicorn cases. It will suffer the consequences. BUT tires will be determinant.

FORD Lightning independent trailing arm is innovative for the brand. Trailing arm has proved safer. New US Army spec’d its Jeeps with double wishbone suspension on all four corners. That program was halted, reverted back to trailing arm due to the number of new JEEP rollovers.

Modifying Cybertruck won’t hurt so bad if Tesla’s wishbones don’t work. I’d pay $1500 for the option to order a Cybertruck with independent trailing arm suspension.

Lastly, upgrading to a second PEM motor is 8 bolts and a software upgrade on the RWD drive unit. Tesla may choose to offer that after sale. I don’t see Tesla offering a DualCT RWD in competition with its AWD and 4WD Cybertruck. Only pullers, pre-Runners need dual RWD.

To be honest, Tesla’s wishbones on all four corners works out to be safe, predictable and work offraod, it obsoletes FORD independent trailing arm setup. BUT there’s a reason Ford needs it. Best hopes are Tesla dynamic suspension shows us why CT doesn’t.
Sponsored