Cybertruck Steering Wheel Dimensions

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Don't complain when the airbag makes you punch yourself in the face with a broken arm.

-Crissa
I never understood why people drive with their hand on the top part of the wheel. It’s super dangerous!
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
If FSD keeps progressing the way it has this year then the steering wheel may end up being mostly decorative.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Don't complain when the airbag makes you punch yourself in the face with a broken arm.

-Crissa
LOL! I was thinking the same thing! How many people sit at an intersection, hand on top of the wheel with the wheels already turned in anticipation of the turn? A good hit from behind and BAM! They are knocked forward, I to opposing traffic with an elbow stuck in their now broken eye socket!

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i find the 1st post pic interesting... theres nothing behind the steering wheel. isnt that the point of the wierd yoke wheel, they havnt made the CT yet so why not just move where the display is?

although I do think the Yoke looks cool. but this pic shows it might be annoying to actually use.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Steering Wheel Dimensions model-s-yoke-hero

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's because the photo is someone using it wrong. Notice their left arm isn't following the hand positions on the yoke. Heck, that wouldn't be good form on a wheel, either.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not to be argumentative, but "using it wrong" is an entirely shit explanation, people use steering wheels how they use them. sure its not the correct way and thus wrong.

but we all do things differently, perhaps its more comfortable for him that way, personally i would change hand position at this time too, being at 12 and 6 is extremely akward for me, but i usually drive with 1 hand on the top of the wheel anyway.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, it is a terrible argument.

If I hadn't then pointed out what the appropriate action would be. You want to follow the hand holds.

Additionally, even when doing hand-over-hand, you want to keep your hands close as possible. But it's generally considered better to move one hand, then the other, without crossing, though.

It's a fallacy fallacy: Just because something is a fallacy, doesn't mean it's wrong given the right context.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Presumably, once we get the truck and lived with the yoke for a bit we'll all have opinions about it. It's entirely possible those opinions may vary from our current opinions. This is why I try not to get super excited about things I've never tried out.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm kind of hoping we get fly by wire steering, or at least the abity for it to delink so that FSD and AP can drive without the wheel moving.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I'm kind of hoping we get fly by wire steering, or at least the abity for it to delink so that FSD and AP can drive without the wheel moving.
Tesla has advertised for drive-by-wire engineers at Austin in the recent past. Whether it makes it into early or later Cybertruck is a question that is unanswered at this time. I’m hoping for it, but will take mine regardless.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found this video intersting. But i think tesla will make the wheel be more sensitive based on whats its doing, so for low speed parking lot, or a u turn it will probly adjust so you dont have to go "hand over hand"

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Be careful what you wish for.
The military has a larger 8x8 ten ton cargo vehicle that has hydraulic steering (no direct mechanical linkage).
If that hose blows those two front steering axles are going to in whatever direction they want to.
I have only seen one of them blow (as a Battalion Safety NCO I had to investigate accidents).
In a stroke of luck the truck was empty and moving at low speed on a dirt road but the driver and co-driver got a wild ride out into the woods.
In another stroke of luck they missed every tree out there.
Had they been running at speed with a load things could have been very bad.
I much prefer a mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the steering arms.
Sponsored