Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The tires on the cyber truck appear to be off-road, has there been any discussion about a more traditional road tire? On most trucks this change increases mileage or in our case range.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Rivian quotes and tested range with street tires and their off-road package reduces range by 5-10%.

I sort-of expect Tesla to do something similar. I certainly hope if their off-road tires reduce range they are kept as an optional feature. Since wheels are an option on Tesla's site, I think it's likely you'll be able to pick if you want off-road tires, but not guaranteed.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Rivian quotes and tested range with street tires and their off-road package reduces range by 5-10%.

I sort-of expect Tesla to do something similar. I certainly hope if their off-road tires reduce range they are kept as an optional feature. Since wheels are an option on Tesla's site, I think it's likely you'll be able to pick if you want off-road tires, but not guaranteed.
I posted a related question a while ago since I'm an off roading n00b and was told that the road tires will likely be fine for some types of offroading too. I'm getting the impression that I most likely won't need to keep a set of off road tires in the garage unless I start getting into more hard core off roading. Hope so, I imagine another set of ties will be $$$.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I posted a related question a while ago since I'm an off roading n00b and was told that the road tires will likely be fine for some types of offroading too. I'm getting the impression that I most likely won't need to keep a set of off road tires in the garage unless I start getting into more hard core off roading. Hope so, I imagine another set of ties will be $$$.
Depends largely on what sort of off-roading you want to do.

I've done a fair bit of overlanding in my Subaru with road tires. Blazing down some desert roads and light rock crawling. For camping, getting up forest roads and such, a set of durable road tires will be fine.

My plan is to use whatever stock "Street" or range oriented tires are offered and worry about upgrading only if I bump into the limits of those tires. Most people never off-road enough where they will notice.

Deleted member 12457

Found another forum saying the CT was shown with WRANGLER MT/R WITH KEVLAR - SIZE: 35X12.5R20LT. I found information on this tire on the Tire Rack website for >$2100 (set of 4) It isn't available at Tire Rack until 11/2021. Each tire weighs 71 lbs, which I think is very heavy. Max load 3195 lbs (assume that's each tire). Max. inflation pressure is 65 psi. I didn't realize this tire size was an easily obtainable size. Tire Rack carries all sorts of brands so take your pick. Every tire listed was labeled as an off-road tire except for the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, Highway All-Season.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Found another forum saying the CT was shown with WRANGLER MT/R WITH KEVLAR - SIZE: 35X12.5R20LT. I found information on this tire on the Tire Rack website for >$2100 (set of 4) It isn't available at Tire Rack until 11/2021. Each tire weighs 71 lbs, which I think is very heavy. Max load 3195 lbs (assume that's each tire). Max. inflation pressure is 65 psi. I didn't realize this tire size was an easily obtainable size. Tire Rack carries all sorts of brands so take your pick. Every tire listed was labeled as an off-road tire except for the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, Highway All-Season.
Very common tire/size. There are more highway oriented and more off-road oriented tires to choose from. The one you mentioned is apparently a Load range D (8 ply equivalent) since it's max inflation is 65 psi. The same tire is offered in Load Range E (80 psi max) as well (I'm 99% sure). The weight rating is definitely for one tire. I wouldn't be surprised if a Load Range E tire is offered for max payload. Any 35 inch tire is heavy, but you can save a few pounds with the highway oriented tires, which can make a significant impact with EV range.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Very common tire/size. There are more highway oriented and more off-road oriented tires to choose from. The one you mentioned is apparently a Load range D (8 ply equivalent) since it's max inflation is 65 psi. The same tire is offered in Load Range E (80 psi max) as well (I'm 99% sure). The weight rating is definitely for one tire. I wouldn't be surprised if a Load Range E tire is offered for max payload. Any 35 inch tire is heavy, but you can save a few pounds with the highway oriented tires, which can make a significant impact with EV range.
I had BFG KO2 35's on my Jeep Wrangler..... 10 ply all season
Sponsored