Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
I've seen quite a few comments here and elsewhere from people who are leery of owning a vehicle as large as a Cybertruck.

I was surprised to see these comments, given that the Ford F-150 is the most popular vehicle in the US, and the Cybertruck's dimensions are believed to be almost identical to those of a mid-range F-150:

DimensionCybertruck2019 F-150 SuperCab 6.5' bed
Length231.7"231.9"
Width79.8"79.9" (without mirrors)
Height75"75.5"
Bed6.5'6.5'

Presumably F-150's present the same dimensional challenges as the Cybertruck will. So why are there so many (apparently) happy owners of these beasts?

As someone who's never driven a full-sized pickup (the 1984 Ford Ranger does not qualify!), I am curious to know what the challenges are. Fitting the truck into the garage is the most obvious (but not a problem in my case). Can you enlighten me as to what the other less obvious challenges are?

Thanks.

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
I've seen quite a few comments here and elsewhere from people who are leery of owning a vehicle as large as a Cybertruck.

I was surprised to see these comments, given that the Ford F-150 is the most popular vehicle in the US, and the Cybertruck's dimensions are believed to be almost identical to those of a mid-range F-150:

Length231.7"231.9"
Height75"75.5"
Bed6.5'6.5'

Presumably F-150's present the same dimensional challenges as the Cybertruck will. So why are there so many (apparently) happy owners of these beasts?

As someone who's never driven a full-sized pickup (the 1984 Ford Ranger does not qualify!), I am curious to know what the challenges are. Fitting the truck into the garage is the most obvious (but not a problem in my case). Can you enlighten me as to what the other less obvious challenges are?

Thanks.
I think a more appropriate question would be Is the "Cybertruck too big" for you? Not "You" as in the OP but the "royal you".

Like you pointed out in your post, it is essentially identical in dimensions to the best-selling F150. I assume this is why some people buy the F150 and some buy the Ranger. Unfortunately Tesla does not make a mid-size pickup... YET...

As far as challenges go, here are some that I have had:

1. It is more difficult to make a tight turn and not run the rear turn-sided tire over a curb.
2. highway construction that closes a shoulder and ultimately narrows a lane can be a little nerve wracking until you get used to it.
3. finding a spot to parallel park on a street grows proportionally in difficulty to the length of your vehicle.
4. parking in general is a tad more difficult due to the width of the vehicle. Increased length creates its own sometimes hilarious difficulties (a$$ sticking way out of a parking spot).

But there are some advantages:

1. My wife hates driving my 4Runner because of its size. I guarantee she will NEVER ask to drive my Cybertruck voluntarily.
2. Truck tires are typically beefier so running over a curb typically doesn't result in much damage.
3. parallel parking in a tight spot can be a bit easier because you can go UP ONTO the curb and plop back down into a space without damaging your rims or tires.

Really, navigating in tight spaces and determining what parking spaces are worth trying to park in are the biggest difficulties of owning / operating a full-size pickup. Just takes a little practice!

OP
OP
beaglerott

beaglerott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
It seems alot of the "it's too big" talk about the CT is from current Tesla owners, or people who have never had a large truck(and probably dont need it, just want the newest thing) All they have to do is test drive, or find a friend with a large truck to get a feel for how it will be.

I have a small 4x4 toyota pickup. But drive full size trucks for work occasionally. Full size trucks are definitely different, the thing I dont like is I feel like I have alot of of blind spots, both because its larger and higher. But simply paying attention and being a good driver alleviates that issue. 2 lane Backroads is also an area of tension.
I do have issues with uturns. But like the other poster said, running a little wide over the curb isn't a big deal and is typically better than stopping and reversing. just like anything, use it for what it is designed for. A large truck, not a sports car, not a semi.

All in all there's no deal breaker issue for me with a very large truck. I dont prefer it, I'm a fan of smaller trucks but for the CT larger is better I think.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Length231.7"231.9"
Height75"75.5"
Bed6.5'6.5'

Thanks.
The height and width are about the same as the Model X which is by no means the largest SUV around. The length will be an issue for me but I’ll get used to it. If they offered a smaller CT I’d probably get it.

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
I think it's a valid question!

I am one of those "future Cybertruck owners" who won't be able to park it in the garage! My wife and I specifically wanted a 2-car garage to park our cars in and I won't be able to fit the CT in it! Pulled in all the way to the wall I won't be able to shut the garage door!

So I guess I could have included that in my original reply, but many have garages big enough for F150s, CTs and whatever else you might want to park in there.

In reality the stainless steel will withstand everything mother nature will throw at it in a driveway so your question is very valid. Operationally a big vehicle poses some challenges. But if you live in the US it's not nearly as daunting as if you live in western Europe.

I would also venture to say the challenges posed are not insurmountable to anyone of average driving ability with a bit of experience under their belt.

If size is your concern, other than keeping it out of the elements because of a small garage, I would say to you: Do not let the size of the CT deter you! Within a week or two of around-town driving you will handle it as well as anyone else!!

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think one reason for this question is because the Cybertruck is different than any other truck in it's appearance. I'm sure the majority of owners will probably be people that are comfortable with trucks but I think it's also attracting people who were never interested in conventional trucks.

I think one common thing that people will be doing when they get their Cybertruck (those not used to trucks) will be running over curbs with their back wheels. I find wheelbase is probably one of the things that people don't adjust to naturally. I used to do some training years back when I fueled planes and the biggest problem was people hitting the tanker on obstacles while turning, one time someone even took out an entire security check point.

However, I think people will love it when they get used to it. I am really excited for the interior; when i seen the videos of the demo drives and Musk taking Jay Leno on a drive, the interior looks really big. While the Cybertrucks dimensions are nearly identical to the Ford that is being referenced above, I think the Exoskeleton helps make the interior wider. This is a huge benefit for me because once we are getting to level 4&5 automation for self driving, it would be nice to stretch out and relax while my truck takes me home.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I think a more appropriate question would be Is the "Cybertruck too big" for you? Not "You" as in the OP but the "royal you".

Like you pointed out in your post, it is essentially identical in dimensions to the best-selling F150. I assume this is why some people buy the F150 and some buy the Ranger. Unfortunately Tesla does not make a mid-size pickup... YET...

As far as challenges go, here are some that I have had:

1. It is more difficult to make a tight turn and not run the rear turn-sided tire over a curb.
2. highway construction that closes a shoulder and ultimately narrows a lane can be a little nerve wracking until you get used to it.
3. finding a spot to parallel park on a street grows proportionally in difficulty to the length of your vehicle.
4. parking in general is a tad more difficult due to the width of the vehicle. Increased length creates its own sometimes hilarious difficulties (a$$ sticking way out of a parking spot).

But there are some advantages:

1. My wife hates driving my 4Runner because of its size. I guarantee she will NEVER ask to drive my Cybertruck voluntarily.
2. Truck tires are typically beefier so running over a curb typically doesn't result in much damage.
3. parallel parking in a tight spot can be a bit easier because you can go UP ONTO the curb and plop back down into a space without damaging your rims or tires.

Really, navigating in tight spaces and determining what parking spaces are worth trying to park in are the biggest difficulties of owning / operating a full-size pickup. Just takes a little practice!
I can relate to the large tire advantages. Years ago I had a Landcruiser and curbs and parking stops were just speed bumps. No harm.

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
The CT has a slightly larger footprint than my 2011 MB Sprinter 2500 van which is a very useful truck. It is also 21 “ less tall than the standard roof Sprinter which makes it safer in poorly lit tree lined parking lots where you hear the roof damage from tree limbs before you see them. Trucks aren’t really meant to fit into suburban home garages. Ask anyone who owns an F150 Shelby which retails for twice as much as a trimotor CT.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
too big, come on its a normal size truck, yes its big compared to your Prius! Plus im sure a lot of "REAL MEN" will make it fit... in the garage!
What kind of wimp parks a truck in a garage :^) Anyway, my garage has always been so full of tools I was lucky once to fit a motorcycle in there, but now I am lucky to have a couple bikes and a path to the house! None of our cars have been garaged in 30 years. The salt air kills them but such is life.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The kind that charge at home!

This is the difference between a gas/diesel truck and an electric Truck. You can leave a ICE truck out side FOREVER and not worry about it. The fuel gauge wind decrease over night or a month or longer.

however a Tesla loses power over night. Overhead protection in the hot summer causes massive battery drains. A CT is not the same as an ICE truck, and if you already own a Tesla, well... you already know this. They need to be shorter to park INSIDE the garage to be charged At home at night. Parked out of the sun and cold too.

Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag

Length231.7"231.9"
Height75"75.5"
Bed6.5'6.5'

Thanks.
Park it in France... have had a RAM for three years and sometimes you feel like a giant in a toy shop ?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I currently drive an f350 super duty most of the time, so for comparison:

DimensionCybertruck2013 F-350 Super Duty
Length231.7"246.8
Height75"80.8
Bed6.5'8.5'

I'm actually going to have a slightly easier time maneuvering and parking my CT in comparison. What with the little bit smaller footprint and cameras and such, I'll be fine.

As far as weird challenges it's just bigger. People will act like they can just dart around you and ignore that hitting you will kill them instantly, but the CT will prevent this anyway. Parking can be a pain, but just be fine with walking a bit further.

As far as parking, it's a truck. Park it where Shrek says:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck too big? unnamed (2)