flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
The charge rate being decent would help a lot. For a vehicle of that size to be anything but a showpiece it needs to have a BIG battery or FAST charging, ideally both. Chevy currently has both and I am hoping the CT will get one or the other, both would be great and this room in the pack I do not think is an oversight by Tesla.
Kyle at Out of Spec has actually gotten the CT to charge at 330 kW on a CCS 350 kW charger. However, not for long enough to make a difference. If Tesla could get the CT to charge at 250 kW out to 60-70% SOC, the truck would at least be a lot more usable.

If you've watched his videos, his technique is to charge until the charge rate drops off and then drive to the next charger - only 60-80 miles usually. If you try to extend your distance between charges, the charging time increases dramatically. Not very comfortable for road tripping.

We'll have to see what Tesla does with the space in the battery compartment. Whatever it is, let's hope it doesn't take another 4 years. I agree that it is unlikely to be an oversight. The lid does have some reinforcing depressions running down into that space but there would still be room for a taller battery. Munro will probably measure that gap, which would tell us how much taller the batteries could be and therefore how much bigger the pack might be.

For now, I am leaning towards Silverado EV. More choices as to range/payload/towing with different battery sizes. Some interesting features like the midgate and I am not a fan of having everything on the touch screen. Give me stalks and buttons, a display in my line of sight (even has a HUD). Not as innovative or eye catching but fits my needs. Unfortunately, you have to buy from a dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
Kyle at Out of Spec has actually gotten the CT to charge at 330 kW on a CCS 350 kW charger. However, not for long enough to make a difference. If Tesla could get the CT to charge at 250 kW out to 60-70% SOC, the truck would at least be a lot more usable.

If you've watched his videos, his technique is to charge until the charge rate drops off and then drive to the next charger - only 60-80 miles usually. If you try to extend your distance between charges, the charging time increases dramatically. Not very comfortable for road tripping.

We'll have to see what Tesla does with the space in the battery compartment. Whatever it is, let's hope it doesn't take another 4 years. I agree that it is unlikely to be an oversight. The lid does have some reinforcing depressions running down into that space but there would still be room for a taller battery. Munro will probably measure that gap, which would tell us how much taller the batteries could be and therefore how much bigger the pack might be.

For now, I am leaning towards Silverado EV. More choices as to range/payload/towing with different battery sizes. Some interesting features like the midgate and I am not a fan of having everything on the touch screen. Give me stalks and buttons, a display in my line of sight (even has a HUD). Not as innovative or eye catching but fits my needs. Unfortunately, you have to buy from a dealer.
The dealer is the worst part about looking at the Chevy, althoug given some of the complaints on this forum about orders being cancelled etc I might be rethinking that a little.

The 350kw that Kyle saw, just watched his video, was encouraging, but I would trade it for 200kw past 30%
Currently on any charger once you hit 30% you get a miserably low charge speed, hopefully Tesla can fix this with the two split pack design that will also increase capacity.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
If you try to extend your distance between charges, the charging time increases dramatically. Not very comfortable for road tripping.
We often try to get our SOC fairly low at our lunch charging spot as we will stay there a little longer to eat and chill. Otherwise, if we drop below 100 kW, I evaluate if I can skip the next charger with just a little extra and if not then off we go.

Routes over the past few years have really come along so much I just start picking the amenities and such around them because there are so many.

Especially if you consider v2 Superchargers still (if driving a Tesla, otherwise v3+ soon).
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck V2 Range 500-640 Confirmed Possible - Battery Compartment Space 2GSSNp6

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
We often try to get our SOC fairly low at our lunch charging spot as we will stay there a little longer to eat and chill. Otherwise, if we drop below 100 kW, I evaluate if I can skip the next charger with just a little extra and if not then off we go.

Routes over the past few years have really come along so much I just start picking the amenities and such around them because there are so many.

Especially if you consider v2 Superchargers still (if driving a Tesla, otherwise v3+ soon).
2GSSNp6.jpg
I totally agree, it makes a huge difference in trip time. A Model 3 or Model Y (or any other Tesla that isn't charge limited) when plugged into a V3 350 kW Supercharger and properly conditioned, can add about 100 miles in 5 minutes, if below 5%. That's a third of a battery!
Wait for 10-15 minutes and you are at 50%. Go any further and the times just get longer.

It just happens that @scottf200's 100 kW represents the charge at about 50% charge.

Supercharges are generally every 50 miles. There are stretched in the Midwest where it goes to 100 miles, and those dots where you can't see daylight are usually 25 miles or closer.

My wife was coming home this evening on a 250 mile trip. She did the trip up this morning and with a little driving around, she pulled into the charger at under 5%. She spent about 10 minutes at her start, and another 15 minutes half-way. She spent a little more time so that she would be around 30% upon arrival.

So 25 minutes to get more than a full battery charge.

As opposed to 40 minutes to do a 20-80% charge.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Be careful what you ask for. Current generation batteries are heavy AF. If you put in too many you end up with this 4.5 ton monster.

1712691928677-i3.png

Then everyone will start complaining about charging times, tire wear, suspension issues and more. I'm all for adding lightness for those of us who don't need the extra mass and capacity.

BTW, this discovery might imply that the "range extender" option does NOT mount in the truck bed. Maybe, just maybe, it will mount into the existing extra space and Tesla wasn't ready to give this tidbit away.
I thi
Be careful what you ask for. Current generation batteries are heavy AF. If you put in too many you end up with this 4.5 ton monster.

1712691928677-i3.png

Then everyone will start complaining about charging times, tire wear, suspension issues and more. I'm all for adding lightness for those of us who don't need the extra mass and capacity.

BTW, this discovery might imply that the "range extender" option does NOT mount in the truck bed. Maybe, just maybe, it will mount into the existing extra space and Tesla wasn't ready to give this tidbit away.
Elon was pretty clear. He didn't want to build a 9000 lb truck I don't think we will see a double stack but a 20% improvement on 340 is 404. That would be awesome.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I thi

Elon was pretty clear. He didn't want to build a 9000 lb truck I don't think we will see a double stack but a 20% improvement on 340 is 404. That would be awesome.
Also weren't they making CT batteries in California months before the CT started getting produced. Maybe they are still using those up. I think people will be surprised with the affordable battery upgrades. No

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Didn't he say in the video it wasn't high enough for another row of 4680's? Perhaps Tesla is working on a taller cell?

Room for different type of cell (not 4680)?

Maybe shorter range (270 mi) & less expensive version Cybertruck using lower volume dense LFP cells from BYD or CATL

Last edited:

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
  1. Tesla won't be introducing a new battery any time soon. Even if they announced today, it would take years to get to high volume production.
  2. There is no way they would add space in the pack for a future upgrade. It just adds costs for something that they will likely redesign a couple times anyway. If they do decide to double stack or introduce a new battery, they will redesign the pack, too.
  3. CT is advertised as an off-road vehicle. If you ended up facing a $20k battery replacement every time you high centered they would have a serious (and valid) lawsuit on their hands. The gap is there so the precious contents don't get damaged during reasonable off-road use.

ChristoN

First Name
Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MS LR, 2022 MYP
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
What’s the weight of doubling the pack? The weight of doubling the pack would not automatically mean you get this extra range. Doubling the pack would mean your payload capacity gets cut in half. That means your handling and breaking performance severely decrease. Just because you see extra space there doesn’t mean anything. The only logical solution would be to continue improving battery chemistry to keep the weight down. I could care less if the car has a 340mi range so long as the performance is there. Do you think the performance figures will stay where they are with another 1000+ pounds of batteries?

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Just the cells themselves would add another thousand pounds to the truck. Not sure how much payload it would take away, but that's still going to weigh more on the suspension.

I'm great with facts and orientations an relative positions.

I am terrible with names and faces.

I watch movies with a friend of mine. I can name half the cars. He can't find my car in a parking lot, and he rides in it each week. But on the other hand, he can name all the actors and I cannot recognize most of them.

Well, if they did that, they'd have an 8000 pound truck with people trying to do racing tricks with, instead of a 7000 pound truck. It'd definitely break more often.

If they can get past all the people doing stupid tricks with their trucks before adding the weight and cost, they probably should.

-Crissa
Not to mention the additional time that would be required to charge another 123 kWh of batteries. People are already complaining about the time it takes to charge a 1/2 full pack. I could just imagine how they’d tear Tesla down for giving them more range but not being able to charge 400 miles in 15 minutes.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Chances are he's playing on the glass half empty-half full trope. Does not look like enough room to double stack, however it does seem a whole lot of volume for it to be just for venting but that could be a function of battery size. Guess there is a sliver of hope for a pack with a taller cell if Tesla has had a come to jesus moment, however unlikely that is.

What’s the weight of doubling the pack? The weight of doubling the pack would not automatically mean you get this extra range. Doubling the pack would mean your payload capacity gets cut in half. That means your handling and breaking performance severely decrease.
It's always going to be more mass efficient than sticking a second pack in the bed.

The only logical solution would be to continue improving battery chemistry to keep the weight down. I could care less if the car has a 340mi range so long as the performance is there. Do you think the performance figures will stay where they are with another 1000+ pounds of batteries?
If it's possible to fit a taller cell in that space that would be the logical solution. You're going to have to wait a decade plus to see a 50% increase in energy density in order to hit 500+ mi with the current pack.

Last edited:

ChristoN

First Name
Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MS LR, 2022 MYP
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Chances are he's playing on the glass half empty-half full trope. Does not look like enough room to double stack, however it does seem a whole lot of volume for it to be just for venting but that could be a function of battery size. Guess there is a sliver of hope for a pack with a taller cell if Tesla has had a come to jesus moment, however unlikely that is.

It's always going to be more mass efficient than sticking a second pack in the bed.

If it were possible to fit a taller cell in that space that would be the logical solution. You're going to have to wait a decade to see a 50% increase in energy density in order to hit 500+ mi with the current pack.
Why a decade? You have no evidence to suggest you know what Tesla currently has in the works. All we have are rumors, that’s it. Given the current rate of improvement from the previous version of the cell, it’s highly likely that they will have something much sooner. They didn’t acquire Maxwell to remain on par with the other batteries, there was a clear path to improvement. Half of the battle was manufacturing and that is starting to come to fruition very quickly now, hence the ramp in cybertruck production. Changing the chemistry on a proven production process will be exponentially easier to integrate and won’t take very long. That’s why they were able to switch to the new composition without missing a beat.

The actual facts are that Tesla has the 4680 production capacity growing each day and to integrate new materials from the Model Y cell to the current Cybercell with increased energy density didn’t take very long.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Why a decade? You have no evidence to suggest you know what Tesla currently has in the works. All we have are rumors, that’s it. Given the current rate of improvement from the previous version of the cell, it’s highly likely that they will have something much sooner. They didn’t acquire Maxwell to remain on par with the other batteries, there was a clear path to improvement. Half of the battle was manufacturing and that is starting to come to fruition very quickly now, hence the ramp in cybertruck production. Changing the chemistry on a proven production process will be exponentially easier to integrate and won’t take very long. That’s why they were able to switch to the new composition without missing a beat.

The actual facts are that Tesla has the 4680 production capacity growing each day and to integrate new materials from the Model Y cell to the current Cybercell with increased energy density didn’t take very long.
You have no evidence energy density improvements will come faster than that, see how easy that is?

If you look at historical energy density improvement across the industry 5% per year is already rather optimistic. Tesla has some low hanging fruit to take advantage of in the short term but it will be slim pickings after that.

ChristoN

First Name
Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MS LR, 2022 MYP
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You have no evidence energy density improvements will come faster than that, see how easy that is?

If you look at historical energy density improvement across the industry 5% per year is already rather optimistic. Tesla has some low hanging fruit to take advantage of in the short term but it will be slim pickings after that.
Wrong. They already did it! That’s the evidence. What other batteries can you name that are as innovative as this one, let alone have finished the manufacturing hurdle and have gone into production on consumer vehicles with an entirely novel chemistry?

Further, they are no longer constrained to create prototypes. When the first 4680’s were being tested there were hundreds of model Y’s made that didn’t go to consumers. Allocating manufacturing capacity to prototypes is a major challenge. This has been improved, even more evidence.

They can implement new prototypes for testing with a proven manufacturing process. Increasing the size of the cell means going back to changing the machines, interrupting lines and… increasing weight. They will have improved density in the near future.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.