Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Gave this a thought and still want the Cybertruck. I actually had a lengthy discussion with my Programming 1 professor during the Summer, and he is a truck guy. Of course, like any hard-core truck guys, he did his best to convince me why the CT was a bad idea and I should get a diesel truck; however, I am a car/suv guy. Right now with this price gouging of gasoline, I am already screaming at the top of my lungs for paying over $50 for 87 octane. Never had I paid once over 70k+ miles that amount to fill up, but I paid that amount twice, within the same week for regular fuel (this isn't even 93).

This gave me wanting my Cybertruck even more now. But back to the original point. Prices for diesel is through the roof. I cannot afford paying 36 gals of diesel. And any amount of towing, my plan is not to go over 200 miles (one way) at all, since Florida is filled with all types of automotive shops and racetracks (unless its Road Atlanta). Nearest road course for me is Sebring Int Raceway. Even with this range suffrage that occurs during towing, Florida is filled with Tesla Superchargers, which I tried to explain to said professor (again, dude also owns Porsche 911; not sure if its the GT3), and also explained I theoretically can charge for free whereas I need to pay arms^2 for diesel.

When I mean I could charge for free, my idea and plan is to get a couple of solar panels and get the necessary approvals and permits from county and the horrible HOA. Once approved, I would be able to have the Tesla wall connector/charger installed to the garage and have the wiring connections go to the solar panels. This itself will pay off and then make free charging of the truck, while literally being the safest and best energy option.

Now I gotta ask, is it worth getting a diesel truck? There will be times where the CT will become a daily driver while the MDX gets some mods.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Fortunate will be the few able to afford EV, Solar array, Powerwall and self-finance converting transportation from petroleum to electric.

The rest of us will be caught in the transition paying attendant costs and changing our lifestyle behavior to accommodate global warming. BUT for the Fortunate Few, prescient investing in getting off petroleum and off grid in the present will be the gift that just keeps giving.

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
You should not get a Cybertruck under any circumstances. Particularly if your reservervation number is lower than RN112805498
Lol. Mines in the RN113xxxxx. I got plenty of time. More than enough time tbh.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Right now with this price gouging of gasoline, I am already screaming at the top of my lungs for paying over $50 for 87 octane. Never had I paid once over 70k+ miles that amount to fill up, but I paid that amount twice, within the same week for regular fuel (this isn't even 93).
The last time I calculated the cost of CT V. Diesel ICE "fueling" owning a CT would be like being able to buy diesel fuel for $.80 a gallon. If you get solar your cost will go down (as you amortize the cost of the solar). With diesel your cost will almost certainly go up. Hell, the cost of the DEF for your new diesel might be close to the cost of plugging in your CT. Tell your prof that you intend to drive your CT for a million miles and are going to bank the money you don't spend on the following. 3 new ICE vehicles when the old ones rack up 250K miles (assuming that they are still being made) , oil, oil filters, fuel, fuel filters ,air filters, coolant, fuel pumps, water pumps, brake jobs (with regen braking I expect brake pads and rotors will last a loooong time), body work (my Dodge diesel has a strong engine and drives well but is rusting out all over) transmission filters and fluid and drive train repairs,. I am sure I have missed something but I think I got a majority of CT savings. Keep track of the money you are saving and invest as much of it as you can. You will retire a wealthy man.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
One (unfortunate) fact is that dinosaur juice (everything from leaded gas to JP7 and everything in-between) has more energy per mass than batteries. The result is that you'll have to recharge more often in an EV than you would in a diesel. Financially cheaper, but you will have to recharge more often.

Three questions:
How much time are you going to be using this vehicle as your daily driver vs a hauler?

When you do haul, are you willing to spend the extra time (and possible hassle with a trailer) to charge multiple times?

In the long run, can you afford the diesel fuel and diesel maintenance costs (and probably much less hassle with a trailer)?

I'm a realist. However much a diesel MD/HD pollute the environment, which is disproportionately more, and however much they drain you financially at the pump, diesel is the best current towing option for ease sake.

Now I'm going to put on my CT cap... Don't you want to drink the whining tears of the diesel boys as they complain about fuel costs? Don't you want to laugh at their maintenance costs? Don't you want to say, "Ohh... yea... I'm not gonna get delete. I *added* a PowerWall to my house". ;)

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One (unfortunate) fact is that dinosaur juice (everything from leaded gas to JP7 and everything in-between) has more energy per mass than batteries. The result is that you'll have to recharge more often in an EV than you would in a diesel. Financially cheaper, but you will have to recharge more often.
A CT3 will have about the same range as my 2001 Dodge diesel. Not towing but I don't intend to set any records while towing. Towing for 250 to 300 miles and then taking a 1 hour break is not a bad deal in my view.

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag

Three questions:
How much time are you going to be using this vehicle as your daily driver vs a hauler?

When you do haul, are you willing to spend the extra time (and possible hassle with a trailer) to charge multiple times?

In the long run, can you afford the diesel fuel and diesel maintenance costs (and probably much less hassle with a trailer)?

I'm a realist. However much a diesel MD/HD pollute the environment, which is disproportionately more, and however much they drain you financially at the pump, diesel is the best current towing option for ease sake.

Now I'm going to put on my CT cap... Don't you want to drink the whining tears of the diesel boys as they complain about fuel costs? Don't you want to laugh at their maintenance costs? Don't you want to say, "Ohh... yea... I'm not gonna get delete. I *added* a PowerWall to my house". ;)
Let's answer these three questions in order:
1) It's mostly a tow rig with the occasions being the daily driver here and there. When it's not being used as a tow rig, I will be using it as a normal truck, so that I don't ruin the interior of my MDX.

2) As I said, Florida is filled with Superchargers. There are a few like 6 miles far from my house. I'd rather deal with charging multiple times than spending arms and legs on fuel since I am already doing that with my daily driver. And doing my super long commutes, I do build up patience, so yes, I will deal with the hassle of the trailer with charging.

3) Long run, probably not. I will have a good fleet of ICE cars (CT will probably be the only EV I will own unless Honda comes out with an MDX EV), so that's gonna eat my money. And as always, I will NEVER drink AND/OR do drugs, so that money will go to either investments, future retirement, and savings.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Is this true?

Trucks take a huge hit to fuel economy when towing. Diesel trucks a bit less, but fuel economy still drops down to 13MPG or lower depending on load.

So a truck like the Silverado with a 24 gallon capacity might have a range of 310 miles towing while the Cybertruck would have maybe 220-250 miles range.

But then a Cybertruck can always leave the stable with that ~220 mile range. With a diesel truck, it's a crap shoot. You might have 310 miles range, but maybe as little as 50 miles range. So long as the trip is less than 200 miles total, it's a clear win for the Cybertruck. It's only when trips get well over 500 miles where the diesel truck's range really shines.

Also, you are paying $0.05-0.10/ mile for the Cybertruck's power where the Silverado is more like $0.27/ mile for fuel.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
While this is all true, a diesel truck can have an excessively large fuel capacity. A friend of mine has an F150 with a 36 gallon tank. At this point, the ability to increase range with only a small weight penalty, and refuel quickly are the two big tricks ICE vehicles have which are still difficult for EVs to duplicate. ICE vehicles with 500 miles (actual) range are not uncommon. That's why the 4680 is so important, it puts a big dent into the weight/ range problem.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have a 4 kilowatt solar array that, on a good day, produces 30 kilowatt hours. The CT will likely have at least 100 KwHr battery, so it would take about 3 great days for my array to charge that battery. Granted, panels have gotten better so you could get 4 Kw with fewer panels but wouldn’t change anything else. Short story is you could top off your car with solar or you could charge something like a power wall and then use that to charge the car but not a full charge. Just go with an L2.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I have thinned the diesel herd herd at the farm.
We are down to an 04 Dodge 3500 dually that is mainly used to pull the stock trailer, hay trailer or the low bumper pull trailer that I haul the tractor around with (it is diesel but I don't count it as a driver).
I have priced the new Dodge diesels (the Boss Lady won't have anything else) and a replacement for the old Dodge would bump $69,000 which is close to what I'll pay for a tri-motor CT.
Add a few grand to that when the warranty runs out and all the emissions crap gets deleted.
Diesel and DEF will keep the cost of operating a new truck ever increasing as the truck steadily depreciates.
Since we are both on a fixed income there will only be one vehicle payment in the budget and since I will make that payment my money is on the CT.
The Dodge will be repaired as needed until it reaches the point that it is not economically feasible to to do so.
Maybe by then Tesla will have a heavy duty one ton chassis available that can pull a 5th wheel trailer or a single axle version of the Semi that would be affordable for farm use.
The rodeo and race horse crowd already pay well over 100k for crew cab Freightliners to pull their rigs with. This is probably not lost on the forward thinkers at Tesla looking for the next market for a new vehicle.
Once my CT is paid for I'd spring for one of those.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Let's answer these three questions in order:
1) It's mostly a tow rig with the occasions being the daily driver here and there. When it's not being used as a tow rig, I will be using it as a normal truck, so that I don't ruin the interior of my MDX.

2) As I said, Florida is filled with Superchargers. There are a few like 6 miles far from my house. I'd rather deal with charging multiple times than spending arms and legs on fuel since I am already doing that with my daily driver. And doing my super long commutes, I do build up patience, so yes, I will deal with the hassle of the trailer with charging.

3) Long run, probably not. I will have a good fleet of ICE cars (CT will probably be the only EV I will own unless Honda comes out with an MDX EV), so that's gonna eat my money. And as always, I will NEVER drink AND/OR do drugs, so that money will go to either investments, future retirement, and savings.
Cybertruck is a vanity piece and status symbol that you are woke. The truck makesvthevstatement that whatever the sacrifice, saving further global warming status — you are paying it forward going BEV.

Living in the present, sliver, ICE and diesel remain the largest transportation component to greenhouse gas. Any reduction by BEV in that threat to the planet is good even tho unable to eliminate entirely “for reason”.

we aren’t there yet. Tesla I expect will - first. That CT is in support of Elon finding the critical path forward.

radami1

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, model s
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Gave this a thought and still want the Cybertruck. I actually had a lengthy discussion with my Programming 1 professor during the Summer, and he is a truck guy. Of course, like any hard-core truck guys, he did his best to convince me why the CT was a bad idea and I should get a diesel truck; however, I am a car/suv guy. Right now with this price gouging of gasoline, I am already screaming at the top of my lungs for paying over $50 for 87 octane. Never had I paid once over 70k+ miles that amount to fill up, but I paid that amount twice, within the same week for regular fuel (this isn't even 93).

This gave me wanting my Cybertruck even more now. But back to the original point. Prices for diesel is through the roof. I cannot afford paying 36 gals of diesel. And any amount of towing, my plan is not to go over 200 miles (one way) at all, since Florida is filled with all types of automotive shops and racetracks (unless its Road Atlanta). Nearest road course for me is Sebring Int Raceway. Even with this range suffrage that occurs during towing, Florida is filled with Tesla Superchargers, which I tried to explain to said professor (again, dude also owns Porsche 911; not sure if its the GT3), and also explained I theoretically can charge for free whereas I need to pay arms^2 for diesel.

When I mean I could charge for free, my idea and plan is to get a couple of solar panels and get the necessary approvals and permits from county and the horrible HOA. Once approved, I would be able to have the Tesla wall connector/charger installed to the garage and have the wiring connections go to the solar panels. This itself will pay off and then make free charging of the truck, while literally being the safest and best energy option.

Now I gotta ask, is it worth getting a diesel truck? There will be times where the CT will become a daily driver while the MDX gets some mods.
Unless you have net metering you'll have to do your charging in the middle of the day. Even with net metering you'll probably need about 10 400-watt panels to drive 10000 miles per year for free. If you drive more you'll need more panels. If you want your house powered by solar, you'll need yet more panels.
Sponsored