Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Mazda 6, Honda Civic
Country flag
Ok this might sound lame but i really am curious. Does anyone know if the Cybertruck will have wireless charging pads for your phone? I've been staring at photos of the interior and can't see where one could exist. I see cupholders when the 6th seat is folded down but where can i place/charge my phone? o_O:unsure:

Tesla & VALE Partnership?
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Wireless Charging? Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 10.58.20 PM
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Can only say that the X does come with them as part of the kit. Don't know about the other models. I would think the S does. In any case lots of third parties make wireless chargers for cars so I am sure we'll be able to fit them to our CTs should they nor come with the truck at delivery,

The question I was anticipating was as to whether wireless charging options will be available for the truck i.e. to charge it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roland Mills

Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Mazda 6, Honda Civic
Country flag
Can only say that the X does come with them as part of the kit. Don't know about the other models. I would think the S does. In any case lots of third parties make wireless chargers for cars so I am sure we'll be able to fit them to our CTs should they nor come with the truck at delivery,

The question I was anticipating as as to whether wireless charging options will be available for the truck i.e. to charge it.
ooooo now THAT would be exciting. Tesla could sell charging pads for the home as well so you just park your car and fill up! That would cause tesla's stock to jump up considerably. great idea!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wireless charging for the home is... kinda iffy. You have to park exactly on the pad, they're expensive, and you still lose a fair bit of energy doing it. The amount of time saved vs plugging in is minimal, too.

Wireless charging makes more sense in a public infrastructure sort of way, like taxis queued up at a stand or something where they connect/disconnect frequently.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Actually for those of us thinking about parking/charging our CT outside on the driveway, worrying about theft is bad enough with the charging cord. A charging pad would have to be theft PROOF for me to leave it on the driveway. How the heck would that be possible? Maybe built into the driveway? Sounds expensive and complicated. I'm totally prepared to be educated on this. Because I consider my self, very UN-educated on charging infrastructure.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I have a QI charger stand for my current truck and it's actually really handy for the kind of work I do. It holds the phone up so I can track the gps and swipe things off the screen easily. It's also nice to be able to just set my phone down and not futz with cords with oily or dirty hands.

Obviously I won't need the gps feature in my CT anymore, so just being able to plop it down would be equally handy for me. Can't imagine it's that hard to fit it into that slot considering my nightstand QI charger is about a centimeter thick.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A charging pad would have to be theft PROOF for me to leave it on the driveway. How the heck would that be possible?
it's just a wire coil. There's less in it than a cable. It looks like a work mat. You can hide it under a surface. It's not fancy.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
it's just a wire coil. There's less in it than a cable. It looks like a work mat. You can hide it under a surface. It's not fancy.

-Crissa
You're telling me you would leave this in your driveway? Not in my hood! This must not be the model you're talking about because it looks pretty fancy to me.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Wireless Charging? wirelesspad

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're telling me you would leave this in your driveway? Not in my hood! This must not be the model you're talking about because it looks pretty fancy to me.
Yes, that's a fancy plastic box. There is no reason for it to be a fancy plastic box. It's a dumb wire coil. Maybe a sensor about the size of your pinky to detect the car, but you could do that with the coil.

In fact, that model looks downright dumb.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
ooooo now THAT would be exciting. Tesla could sell charging pads for the home as well so you just park your car and fill up! That would cause tesla's stock to jump up considerably. great idea!
I'm as lazy as the next guy but not that lazy. I don't think this is going to be a big seller in the consumer market. The tech is, of course, pretty cool but as it is pretty high tech it is expensive as hell and not that efficient. One system currently available appears from it's specs to be only 75% efficient (delivers 30 amps of charging from 40 amps in) and costs $13k! It's essentially an air core transformer and as the permeability of air is so low the only way to get the consequently huge currents required is to use resonant tank circuits with very high Q and the only way to get high Q is to be sure the secondary isn't loaded very heavily. Lot's of engineering trades here but the systems are not simple at reasonable efficiency and that's what you are paying for. BTW I think 75% efficiency is pretty good for such a system.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Actually for those of us thinking about parking/charging our CT outside on the driveway, worrying about theft is bad enough with the charging cord. A charging pad would have to be theft PROOF for me to leave it on the driveway. How the heck would that be possible? Maybe built into the driveway? Sounds expensive and complicated. I'm totally prepared to be educated on this. Because I consider my self, very UN-educated on charging infrastructure.
There are several problems with wireless transfer.
1. Receiver coil weight. The amount of wire required for high power is not insignificant.
2. Safety. The power levels are sufficient to cause death. If your cat, child, raccoon wanders into the field or horrors between the contact less coils death and fire will result. If a potato chip bag blows in between it will incinerate and a fire is born.
A much better solution is robotic contact transfer.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag

wirelesspad.jpg

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum that you are, I live in the country, there is no need to lock the house or any of the vehicles
Sponsored