Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Via Teslarati

Tesla plans for Cybertruck-specific Supercharger spaces

September 23, 2020

Tesla is preparing for the eventual rollout of the Cybertruck by offering plans on wider, longer charging spaces at Supercharger stalls. A recent proposal by the Pasadena Water and Power Department in California shows plans to install 20 Tesla charging points within a city-owned lot. A recent presentation with Pasadena Officials showed that at least six of the spaces would be wider and longer to make way for the Cybertruck’s size.

The location of the new Supercharger station is proposed to be set at 85 E. State Street in Pasadena, CA. The chargers will be Tesla’s V3 250 kW-capable stalls. The five-year term with an option for a two-year extension is outlined in the Agenda Report, which also shows the number of charging spaces available at the new site. The documents were spotted by Tesla Motors Club member RubberToe.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks Will Have Larger Parking Spots at Tesla Superchargers tesla-charging-cybertruck-space-render-567x312

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks Will Have Larger Parking Spots at Tesla Superchargers tesla-cybertruck-spots-location-420x312

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks Will Have Larger Parking Spots at Tesla Superchargers tesla-pasadena-charging-render-991x533

“Under the recommended Agreement, Tesla will install and operate 20 Tesla Supercharging charging stations at their expense. PWP will install up to seven DCFC EV charging stations, and up to 20 Level 2 chargers, that may be used by all types of electric vehicles,” the document states.

According to the plans that are detailed on blueprints for the site, at least fifteen Tesla V3 Supercharger stalls will be available at the site, with six of them being possible “Cybertruck wide spaces.”

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks Will Have Larger Parking Spots at Tesla Superchargers tesla-pasadena-supercharger-cybertruck-spaces

With the Cybertruck having massive dimensions that were somewhat questionable for residential garage parking, it seems logical that new Supercharger locations prepare for the presence of Tesla’s first pickup with these newly-designed spots. The Cybertruck is massive compared to the company’s other vehicles, and revising some spots for the future is a wise idea.

It also appears that the Pasadena Water and Power held a meeting with local government members to look at the possibility of the new Supercharger station. The presentation that was given to the members indicates that the new station “will include 6 Spaces for new Cybertruck.”

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks Will Have Larger Parking Spots at Tesla Superchargers tesla-cybertruck-spots-charging-meeti

The preparation of new charging spots that will be appropriate for the Cybertruck is an indication that Tesla, along with cities that will build new stations, is readying for the new pickup. Traditionally, large vehicles and trucks can have issues finding adequate space because of the sheer size of a car. If other vehicles were to be parked in spaces that are adjacent to where a Cybertruck is attempting to park, it could be an inconvenience. Therefore, larger spaces are undoubtedly the more precautionary and responsible move.

The Pasadena Municipal Services Meeting document is available below.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah. Especially when there are back to back stalls that could be used that way.

I have no towing plans, but clearly others do. It wouldn't be hard to put two chargers so two trucks or a truck and a trailer could charge.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
LOL... if you cant park the NORMAL sized cybertruck in a NORMAL sized parking space you should reconsider your purchase.

I seriously dont understand everyone's obsession with the Cybertruck so called "massive dimensions"... getting old quick. Please compare to all other full size trucks on the market.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I see V3 rows of respectively 8., 2 and 9 stalls totaling 19. It is hinted that the row of 8 may become a row of 6 wider stalls to accommodate CT's. This would make a total of 17 stalls. But the plan calls for 20 Suoerchargers. where do the extra 1 or 3 Superchargers go? I desperately want the answer to be that some of the stalls will have two chargers to serve the two ports which I have been hoping the CT will have in order to allow effective charging at 500 kW. A single 250 kW charger would, assuming 400 Wh/mi, mean 625 miles per hour (at the beginning of a charge at least). Assuming we normally charge every 200 - 300 miles and that all we want to replenish is that which we have just used that would mean charge times of 30 - 40 minutes (allowing for taper). If two chargers can be simultaneously connected then those times drop to 15 - 20 minutes.

Waresdom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevy Silverado
Country flag
LOL... if you cant park the NORMAL sized cybertruck in a NORMAL sized parking space you should reconsider your purchase.

I seriously dont understand everyone's obsession with the Cybertruck so called "massive dimensions"... getting old quick. Please compare to all other full size trucks on the market.
I agree. This is a standard size in the midwest.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag

Wider not necessarily needed IMO but pull trough pretty important as other have mentioned since it would be a major PITA to charge when having a trailer attached

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Wider not necessarily needed IMO but pull trough pretty important as other have mentioned since it would be a major PITA to charge when having a trailer attached
I definitely agree, they do need some pull through stalls. At least one spot capable of it at these larger charging sites. But I personally wont be doing much traveling with a trailer.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A truck should be easy enough to fit in a normal parking spot...

...But gas station filling spots aren't small, either, and you need room to move around the truck while it's charging.

And they've talked about maybe having a special charger for the truck and semi. Maybe that's where the extra superchargers go?

-Crissa

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
  1. So if other models are charging in cybertruck stalls is it allowed? (Probably will be abused by other owners of other models, to use the extra-large areas also)
2. Just park-like other large RVs, trucks hauling trailers, etc. that park in grocery/Costco, parking lots while there getting there business/shopping done. (Everyone will understand ?? :unsure: )

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertrucks Will Have Larger Parking Spots at Tesla Superchargers Cybertruck trailer chargi

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am hopeful that Autopilot and cameras will make it less so than when I'd borrow my dad's truck. I was still driving it until a couple years ago, when my mom finally said goodbye to it. (I was the only one driving it.)

I've seen what Ford can do in their Flex and expect in two years Tesla will have it figured out. They're already adding features into their system they'll need.

-Crissa
Sponsored