Dat Robot

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I feel like we saw a lot more of the "master plan" than is obvious.

Of all the formats to build a robot in, why a human shaped one? We're not very effeciently evolved for a majority of tasks, we have limited fields of view, we have vulnerable extremities, the list goes on.

Sure, this droid will probably be capable of housekeeping, hazardous factory work, etc, but I think we just saw a first look at something way more important for mankind.

i think we just saw the prototype of the first mars colonizing crew.

Think about it; average human size and shape which means they can set up devices and tools meant for humans, about as capable as the average human which means they don't need to be replaced by superhumans, and they also don't have pesky needs like food and oxygen. The prototype even looks like their crew suits for SpaceX.

Maybe it's just my love of sci-fi shouting through the void, but know Tesla has a penchant for left hooks in how their technology is applied and I feel like this makes too much sense.
Sponsored

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Of all the formats to build a robot in, why a human shaped one? We're not very effeciently evolved for a majority of tasks, we have limited fields of view, we have vulnerable extremities, the list goes on.

Sure, this droid will probably be capable of housekeeping, hazardous factory work, etc, but I think we just saw a first look at something way more important for mankind.

Think about it; average human size and shape which means they can set up devices and tools meant for humans, about as capable as the average human which means they don't need to be replaced by superhumans, and they also don't have pesky needs like food and oxygen. The prototype even looks like their crew suits for SpaceX.

Maybe it's just my love of sci-fi shouting through the void, but know Tesla has a penchant for left hooks in how their technology is applied and I feel like this makes too much sense.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!! BUILD IT BY ROBOT WHILE WE GET HUMANS READY TO GO! THEN HAS ROBOT CIVIL WAR WHEN HUMANS ARRIVE TO ROBOTS NOT READY TO GIVE UP THEIR WORK!

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

This was my exact thought while watching the event. We all know that "next year" in Elon time really means 3-5 years to have actual working bots. And it just so happens that in 3-5 years SpaceX will be attempting to land on Mars....

We can all probably understand that the first attempts to colonize Mars with humans will result in loss of life and a very high chance of never returning back to earth. What an excellent idea to send humanoid robots to first colonize Mars before sending Humans.

Now step back and look at Elon's companies

SpaceX - To make life multi-planetary.
Starlink (future separate company) - to provide low latency communication to Mars.
Tesla - To manufacture whatever is needed at scale ie Batteries, AI, Bots, Vehicles, Energy Generation/Storage.
Boring Co - To dig the tunnels in Mars for shelter, I remember hearing that Boring machines actually fit inside of a Starship, could be a rumor, I have not confirmed that.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
<Snip>
Now step back and look at Elon's companies

Starlink (future separate company) - to provide low latency communication to Mars.
Tesla - To manufacture whatever is needed at scale ie Batteries, AI, Bots, Vehicles, Energy Generation/Storage.
Boring Co - To dig the tunnels in Mars for shelter, I remember hearing that Boring machines actually fit inside of a Starship, could be a rumor, I have not confirmed that.
Neuralink - BMI(Brain-to-Machine Interface)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
it makes perfect sense to make a bot designed like us, since we have been designing things to work around us forever.
sure its not the most efficient, but not having to redesign tools, interface devices, etc. is huge! As I sit here typing this, I can imagine that bot doing it faster, without having connect in some other way.
the bot was 5ft 8, same as me. quick search says that is the average height of a man

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We all know that "next year" in Elon time really means 3-5 years to have actual working bots.
He was pretty vague and limited it to “a prototype”. They might hit that. Just don’t preorder one expecting it to be shipped in 2 years and be super functional.

Also, this was a recruiting event. If you are a software engineer, do you want to work on the second generation BlueCruise, or a robot that’s going to Mars?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Neuralink - BMI(Brain-to-Machine Interface)
SpaceX - Human life multiplanetary.
Starlink - communications/internet to every square inch of the planet
Tesla - sustainable economies that value human life.
Boring - cheaper transportation/structures without impinging upon limited surface area

Autonomous transportation, Neuralink, and robotics are about making life for humans better, no matter who we are or what our physical needs are.

Batteries, solar roofs, HVAC, transportation electrification: These are about reducing the amount of energy each of these things take, in order of operation, and then generating energy where we'd otherwise waste it.
Transportation is our biggest waste of energy, being powered from tiny generators instead of the grid. The grid itself needs energy, and wastes it on roofs and grid stability. And then the next big thing we waste energy on? Heating/cooling our homes and offices.

It's all pretty cool. I think the democratization of the internet by allowing access to all parts of the globe to have high-speed internet is really undersold. Vast swaths of the Earth today do not have telecommunications still. Airplanes, ships that leave our shores go dark. And the people who aren't lucky enough to live near enough to have one of the few geosynchronous satellites above them and aimed at them are screwed for being part of the modern world.

And it all goes back to the car he pushed: A car that had to be the safest. Human life is the most important thing.

I hope the rest of us learn that from him. He's living the dream.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Aha, it's 2038: "will arise in 2038, when the Unix timestamp hits 2147483647, the maximum value that can be represented by a signed, 32-bit integer"

-Crissa

ProfessorRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Forte, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Aha, it's 2038: "will arise in 2038, when the Unix timestamp hits 2147483647, the maximum value that can be represented by a signed, 32-bit integer"

-Crissa
But they are using 64 bit cpus

Ron
Sponsored