Dave Lee's video titled "Tesla Brand Damage (Ep. 711)"

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Note: I really like Dave Lee and his content, so this critique is not directed at his channel, but at the survey firm depicted in this particular video.

One major flaw in the survey, is that the depicted sample of 33,597,333 online respondents on the chart, are far greater in number than the current whole Tesla owners fleet both in the U.S. and worldwide. So this survey is not representative of actual Tesla owners at all, but instead with at least 90 percent of the answers based on ideology or personal perceptions from the 'cheap seats' without any direct experience or ownership of Tesla products.

How can anyone really comment on a 'Brand', if they don't have any experience owning the brand's products? How can a firm purport to conduct a representative survey, when at least 90 percent of their participants questioned, have no experience in the subject? Oh wait, the MSM does this all the time don't they? ...

One can call it 'Brand Perception', but for this survey that's really all it is. But you're always going to have naysayers with every brand due to rumors or whatever, and many of those naysayers will have never tried the product, and never actually will try the product.

The actual demand, sales, and testimony of Tesla owners is far more accurate and truthful, and will tell the real story. The timing of this survey coming out 'right now' is interesting, when legacy auto is getting so desperate. The 'competition is coming' (while running backwards). Sort of reminds me of who the true ownership stakes in 'Consumer Reports' are (and it's not the 'consumers' at all).

We know how the MSM is treating Tesla. It's a direct conflict of interest for the MSM to be objective about Tesla, because if Tesla's non-advertising business model continues to succeed, other companies may follow suit and stop wasting their billions on MSM advertising as well. So I think this survey is a kind of a waste because it really is just a reflection of what the MSM is trying to do to Tesla, but doesn't exclusively reflect sentiment of actual Tesla owners. I don't think this survey has any relevance to Tesla's actual long term demand at all.

I don't think a 'Brand' survey is ever going to be anywhere near accurate, if participants are not verified as owners or users of a product, but instead can be any online viewer from the sidelines just squawking sentiment injected into their heads by the MSM. That's exactly how this survey appears to me.

- ÆCIII
Sponsored

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am happy to take 51% of the world's customers.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
How can anyone really comment on a 'Brand', if they don't have any experience owning the brand's products? How can a firm purport to conduct a representative survey, when at least 90 percent of their participants questioned, have no experience in the subject?
To be honest I didn’t watch the video, but it seemed unrelated to here responding to why surveys RE brands should count people who aren’t current owners.

In the technical sense of “brand,” what is maybe more important are those who don’t yet have first hand experience. Isn’t the power of “brand” in converting non-users into users (or having those who can’t be users aspire to be users)?

While your point is taken that people without experience may not have the most informed opinions, “brand” is nonetheless a concept that is at least equally focused on how people without experience perceive the company/product.

And with vehicles in particular, ownership isn’t a super important requirement given that so many can have experiences without first hand ownership.

After-all, e.g., I’m “a Ford guy” and “not a GMC guy” despite having never owned a GMC. I’ve seen GMC, I’ve ridden in GMC, I’ve talked to mechanics about GMC, etc. - all without owning one.

Conversely, for Rolls Royce I have a high brand perception, despite having never owned one.

Dumb. But “brand.”

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
..... until they meet actual owners that can counter doubters with actual real experience versus purchased deliberate misinformation.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I know a few right leaning people look at Tesla differently after the twitter take over. Before most right leaning people think Teslas are only for left elite and the CT will change that in a major way!

Personally speaking what Elon has done in short 2 months at Twitter changed him from the "most important person in my life time" to my biggest HERO of ALL TIMES! I wear the "Elon fanboy" badge with greatest pride!

Last edited:

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
How many people think Jeff Bezos is a tool yet Amazon meets a need, a compelling service that outweighs perception of Bezos or the company.

I purchased a Lightning while I wait for my Cybertruck. My wife has a MY. Just the supercharger network alone will make anyone who researches the best EV to buy and just considers the options to actually use you EV for a trip will buy a Tesla.

We will have to use the MY for any trips we take as I do not trust the few charger out here for non Tesla's will work, charge at a reasonable speed or will be on the route planned. I planned a simple trip from Charlotte to Boone and there are 2 locations along the route, there are 1 charger at each and not fast chargers. We opted to take the Tesla even though we really wanted to take the Lightning.

Now we have price and value, etc, etc. People can think what they want but when they do research, drive and think this through they will buy a Tesla, if as they say on "solving the money problem", they have a brain.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
One major flaw in the survey, is that the depicted sample of 33,597,333 online respondents on the chart, are far greater in number than the current whole Tesla owners fleet both in the U.S. and worldwide.
BTW, one problem is that I think you mistook the sample size

it was almost certainly not a sample of 33 million, but instead 35K

Regardless, the point of brand monitoring is not to talk only to people who own. It’s not a product review.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

We will have to use the MY for any trips we take as I do not trust the few charger out here for non Tesla's will work, charge at a reasonable speed or will be on the route planned. I planned a simple trip from Charlotte to Boone and there are 2 locations along the route, there are 1 charger at each and not fast chargers. We opted to take the Tesla even though we really wanted to take the Lightning.

Now we have price and value, etc, etc. People can think what they want but when they do research, drive and think this through they will buy a Tesla, if as they say on "solving the money problem", they have a brain.
Sandy Munro, the tear-down king, his wife (who is also an auto engineer) loves to drive their Rivian pickup truck around town but she told Sandy that they will always use the Tesla for road-trips because the Rivian, Ford and other non-Tesla charging networks are too unreliable or difficult to use.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Sandy Munro, the tear-down king, his wife (who is also an auto engineer) loves to drive their Rivian pickup truck around town but she told Sandy that they will always use the Tesla for road-trips because the Rivian, Ford and other non-Tesla charging networks are too unreliable or difficult to use.
Exactly. My Lightning will be the perfect around town, home projects and all around fun drive but the Tesla will be the workhorse for road trips, well at least until I get my Cyber truck in 2024. (fingers crossed - early reservation)

Tesla Supercharger network and car software is so far ahead. I doubt it will be duplicated or caught.

OP
OP
ÆCIII

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Thanks to cvalue13 for pointing out a possible error misreading of the sample size.

Tesla Cybertruck Dave Lee's video titled "Tesla Brand Damage (Ep. 711)" 1673890596500

In Dave's video it was max resolution of 1080p, so the sample number was not perfectly clear and I may have misread a "."(period) for a ","(comma), or thought there was just no separator or delimiter at all. I tried to find better renderings of the chart out there and on Morning Consult's website, but could not link to any very quickly or without signing up for something.

But, why depict a sample size average to a fractional person of 3 (three) decimal places ? if not wanting to make the number appear larger to deceive people by preying on the perceptions of those who might glance quickly? This is a common deceptive and sleazy tactic my the MSM of hiding the truth in plain sight (the fine print method). So I say this is an indicator of Morning Consults integrity and motives, but everyone can evaluate for themselves. Many anti-Tesla outlets are picking up and running stories on this 'survey' which to me just shows how desperate they are.

I also noticed overnight that the video title got changed

from "Tesla Brand Damage (Ep. 711)",
to "Tesla Brand - Recent Survey Shows Potential Damage (Ep. 711)"

I'm glad Dave keeps his episode numbers on his videos, for this very reason.

The revised title to me is much more accurate, because I think 'Potential' is a key word. But we've already known legacy auto and the MSM are trying to damage Tesla's brand, reputation, perception, or whatever for some time now.

It would actually be surprising if they hadn't 'moved the needle' at least among some - because sheep will be sheep, and sheep are the MSM's sustainability source.

Again I don't think it's relevant for those who are intelligent enough to appreciate Tesla and who are willing to research and think for themselves. IMO those who are buying Teslas, are generally much smarter than this survey's depicted bias.

- ÆCIII

Tesla Cybertruck Dave Lee's video titled "Tesla Brand Damage (Ep. 711)" 1673890578305

Last edited:

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know 2 sets of people who were looking for an electric car that I had convinced to go with a Tesla because of charging and other reasons. They are now waiting on better charging solutions for other makes because of musks going off the rails. Even though I believe he only owns about 13% of Tesla now his name is still strongly associated with Tesla and his actions are affecting sales whether they should or not.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I made it about 14 seconds, and couldn't stand his voice so I bailed lol.
Sponsored