Dealership model vs. direct sales?

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Dealership: Buying direct from manufacturer is dangerous. The manufacturer will not hesitate to take advantage of you. The dealership is on your side. We look out for you and protect you.

Also, you should get undercoating for $2,000 or penguins will die flying into windmills.
Don't forget the "fabric protection" at $495, theft protection etching at $895, window tint at $495, wheel locks at $195, paint protection at $795, and the undercoat, for sure.
Sponsored

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I live in Connecticut.

This state really sucks at times. Actually, most of the time.

Penske Auto Group was suing CT over the proposed law change which would have allowed Tesla to sell direct to consumers. When the law was upheld by the legislators, Penske dropped the law suit.

Penske owns Inskip, and they sponsored my racing for years. I can count a dozen cars my friends and family have bought from the Inskip auto group.

Guess all us Nutmeggers will going to Mass to pickup our Cybertrucks.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
I really like my F150, but the weak points are the dealer model (which is not a value add to the consumer, only their pocketbooks IMO) and Ford's ability to push software OTA.

I think it is also interesting that Ford is separating their EV business from the traditional dealer model, so hopefully, they will help Tesla push against the antiquated laws.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Don't forget the "fabric protection" at $495, theft protection etching at $895, window tint at $495, wheel locks at $195, paint protection at $795, and the undercoat, for sure.
You forgot having your tires filled with the super rare and magical nitrogen gas. (I got stuck with that one, the car that had the options I wanted and the color I wanted they'd already put nitrogen in.)

Normally when they try to sell it to me I tell them I do a special blend that has 79% nitrogen.

The air in our atmosphere is ā‰ˆ79% nitrogen.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You forgot having your tires filled with the super rare and magical nitrogen gas. (I got stuck with that one, the car that had the options I wanted and the color I wanted they'd already put nitrogen in.)

Normally when they try to sell it to me I tell them I do a special blend that has 79% nitrogen.

The air in our atmosphere is ā‰ˆ79% nitrogen.
ā€œOptionsā€ that are already installedā€¦ joyous.

Itā€™s hard to make too much fun of dealerships right now while Tesla is speeding up delivery on cars by multiple *months* if people opt for a $12k software upgrade.

It is more honest than most dealerships because there is no strong arm, but still. OUCH.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
A story is floating around today, regarding this guy who went to pick up his Hummer EV 2 weeks ago.

OK, Buddy! Let's finalize this paperwork and get you on the road...

Tesla Cybertruck Dealership model vs. direct sales? hummerpapes

If it were me the salesclown would be slowly backing away, asking why I'm holding the write-up in one hand and a broomstick in the other.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
@Ogre ...It's because, obviously, this dealership doesn't upcharge for "constraints" like others you hear about. No-no. You see, this particular operating fee is totally different from that. It's an in-market fiducial term we use called, "constrants". It's standard. Do you want someone from accounting to come out and explain it to you?

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
That's the you want it now, not 3 years from now charge.

And holy crap the taxes are as much as I payed for the Frontier brand new..... 20+ years ago.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I was buying a used motorcycle way back from a dealership. They presented me with a similar sheet showing $200 registration fee. I accepted the offer.

when the contract was presented, $20 was in the registration fee, there was 5 months left before renewal and $180 was added to the base price. I rejected, the manager said it is the same, the total cost was what I agreed and they were not trying anything nefarious.

I told them to redo the contract from scratch at the original agreed base price, no agreement. I left with my money, they kept their bike. Money is always better.

Moral of story, these sheets should be kept to compare against the presented contract before signing.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Damn! he is even being taxed on the $50k...... that's brutal. So it's more like an extra $54,750 he has to pay. F That!