Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So it looks like the DeLorean Alpha is now available to reserve.

1678606814084.png

They have the following 3 step reservation process:

1. JOIN THE ALPHAS CLUB - Your journey to wonership begins with an $88 Alphas Club lifetime membership. Additionally, your Alphas Club membership includes a variety of exclusive benefits.
2. PURCHASE ON THE DELOREAN EXCHANGE - Alphas Club members have exclusive access to secure their place in line on teh DeLorean Exchange, by purchasing a randomized production slot for $2,500.
3. CUSTOMIZE WITH DELOREAN FLEX - Once you've successfully purchased your production slot on the DeLorean Exchange, DeLorean Flex enables you to transfer, trade, or sell your production slot to other Alphas Club members. Members who were unable to secure a production slot have the ability to purchase one from other Alphas Club members on the DeLorean Exchange.
So basically, it costs $88 + $2,500 to get a randomized position until all the positions are gone. Then if you want a position, it costs $88 + what the market will bear to get a position from someone else. Turns out though that they have a back door where:
"DeLorean offers step-by-step personal assistance. If you feel you need help, please email us at [email protected] and we will get back to you in the next 3 business days and assist you with your questions."
Also turns out that there is an additional $5,000 investment in the customization of your Alpha5. So it is really, $7,500 (+ $88) to reserve your spot or whatever the market will bear. But you get the $7,500 to be reflected in your final purchase price. Not sure that helps anything...

Take note though:

DeLorean will update specifications and options when engineering and sourcing has been completed on the Alpha5. We expect to add more details in 2023.
and

We expect to announce retail pricing late 2023
and

No retail deliveries are currently expected before late 2024.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
And the design is butt. Trying to capitalize on nostalgia by selling a completely unrelated and uninteresting design simply by connecting the name to the nostalgia is a losing situation. Clearly money grab.

I was highly disappointed. Was eagerly on the list prior to announcement, but once they unveiled it along with that pyramid scheme, I quickly unsubscribe and reported as spam.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I'm surprised they didn't also want you to invest in crypto
Yup, It sounds like they are trying to make money off reservations not cars. I bet there are reservations (with lower numbers) set aside for insiders that will cash in when the market is hot before sending an email from a tropical Island; OOPS we won't be able to mass produce these cars. The sad thing is that as transparent it is, it will probably work as intended.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I'm surprised they didn't also want you to invest in crypto
Oh, they do. You place in line is held on the blockchain. You are buying/selling an NFT that holds your position in line. Once the vehicle is delivered, they expect you to notify them far each subsequent sale so the NFT owner can be updated. This includes when the vehicle is “retired”.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Oh, they do. You place in line is held on the blockchain. You are buying/selling an NFT that holds your position in line. Once the vehicle is delivered, they expect you to notify them far each subsequent sale so the NFT owner can be updated. This includes when the vehicle is “retired”.
Know your just speaking loose, but at first blush reading your characterization it actually sounds like one of the more real-world applications of blockchain + NFT.

It is no more or less bizarre than the paper “title” Texas sends me for my Lightning, that I’m supposed to keep away from fire, water, and my children’s crayons in order to indicate ownership.

Setting aside DeLorean using the creation of a security to trade vaporwear, I’d actually see a NFT proofing system like this for Tesla with some utility for owners.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Making a profit off of reservations is illegal for a reason.

While sure, being able to buy and sell your line position sounds reasonable... But how do you know that their friends aren't manipulating the market?

-Crissa

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
And they don’t mention if there are any fees involved in transferring the NFT from person to person.

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
I bet there are reservations (with lower numbers) set aside for insiders that will cash in when the market is hot before sending an email from a tropical Island;

They’ve said they’re withholding numbers 1 through 88 for themselves. They also lowered the number of vehicles being built from 9,351 to 4,000. And to enhance the scam, they’re increasing the price of reservations something like $500 with every 500 slots sold. I forget the specifics as I’ve wrote this car and the people running that operation off.

I was also waiting and watching this vehicle but once I saw where this was heading mixed with the totally and completely botched launch night of reservations on September 30th of last year, it was obvious one needs to steer clear.

Oh, and there’s also the continuing drama involving that lawsuit.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
They’ve said they’re withholding numbers 1 through 88 for themselves. They also lowered the number of vehicles being built from 9,351 to 4,000. And to enhance the scam, they’re increasing the price of reservations something like $500 with every 500 slots sold. I forget the specifics as I’ve wrote this car and the people running that operation off.

I was also waiting and watching this vehicle but once I saw where this was heading mixed with the totally and completely botched launch night of reservations on September 30th of last year, it was obvious one needs to steer clear.

Oh, and there’s also the continuing drama involving that lawsuit.
Even though, I have benefited from making an early reservation already, I won’t be making reservations for any new vehicles. waiting until dust settles especially for a completely new vehicle from a small company may be the best way to go for me personally. Despite uncertainties of Rivian ever becoming profitable, I consider it a relatively successful new car company. There were things I learned about it that made me not go through with it only a while after others had some time with it. It was just too much time and attention investment on something I ended up never owning.

Last edited:

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Id rather tesla scrap the roadster and make a cyber sports car using their model X door mechanics.
If they called it the model D or better yet, the LeDoorian it would be hilarious and id be compelled to buy one

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Id rather tesla scrap the roadster and make a cyber sports car using their model X door mechanics.
If they called it the model D or better yet, the LeDoorian it would be hilarious and id be compelled to buy one
So a small Pontiac fiero type car that has the cybertruck triangle shape with an exoskeleton? But without the rolling over because battery weight down low..... Fun car.... Miata people would go nuts... Give it removable glass roof. And gull wing doors.

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I knew to steer clear, not that i had any intention to own one, when i saw their 'facility'
Sponsored