First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
https://amp.freep.com/amp/6110815001

Detroit Free Press: Study compares electric vehicle charge costs vs. gas — and results were surprising

Bottom line. Article details how EVs cost more to charge if you live in a state that has EV registration tax, you charge only at public chargers and factor in the cost of a home charger for the first year.

This article is nice comparison to how others might see EVs who haven't figured out that they will charge at home more than 90% of the time.

Valid point if you have to use public chargers because, you don't have a Tesla, you drive more than your EV range consistently, and/or you don't have a home/work site that has charging capability.

To me this emphasizes the need for a better charging network, because as the article points out big 3 auto is focusing on transitioning to electric vehicles.

Having better charger network will help the problems points from the article. Finding a charger is difficult. Public charging costs are sometimes 5x more than home charging costs. Public charging rates vary wildly.

The author of the study sure looks oddly happy in all his photos even though he's claiming it costs more to charge his Porche.

Link to article above
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Snippet

For new EV drivers these costs, time constraints and other considerations are often a surprise, Anderson said.
“Unlike their reliable gas cars that have 300 or 400 miles of range that can be filled up at a number of gas stations in our country, you have to think about what available chargers you have and plan it out," Anderson said. "It’s more than range anxiety, it’s a burden of constantly monitoring the charging status.”

interesting use of adjectives.

I gave up looking for the EV cost calculations per 100 miles.

Personal story, I went from a Chevy Avalanche to a Volt. Financed with 0% interest, no money out of my pocket, received 7,500 from federal, declined the 1,500 from state. Fuel savings plus maintenance savings, minus electricity increase netted me about $100 in my favor. Going from a gas hog to efficient is not a fare compariso. Nobody who buys a truck expects energy cost to be similar to a compact. CT is no exception but would still save me money compared to my Avalanche.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why does he have range anxiety?

You can charge or maintain charge anywhere there's an outlet.

I ride a motorcycle with a little over 80 miles range. You want range anxiety, try riding it 80 miles in the mountains and it's getting dark and you're miles from a house.

-Crissa

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
One of the only arguments (because very specific conditions set) I have is he states that it costs $600 for a level 1 charger. Don't most EV's come with a 110/220 charge cord that you can plug into a standard 110 or 220 outlet?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Public charging rates vary wildly.
A lot of the electricity price variation is by state & due to local regulation.

Gas prices have significant variations by state (ex. high gas prices in California vs low prices in Texas).

Last edited:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
They are building out the charging infrastructure.

I bought a VW TDI in 2000. It was a bitch to find gas stations that had "auto" diesel pumps at that time.

Now, nearly every gas station has auto diesel pumps.

The early EV adopters have had to deal with "planning" out their routes for years, and maybe years still to come, and then one day they won't.

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Lol. Gas here is $1.50 per litre, expected to be $1.75 by New Year. I can fully charge a Model 3 at home for $8. I would rarely need to charge on the road. Nice try Detroit.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Having better charger network will help the problems points from the article. Finding a charger is difficult. Public charging costs are sometimes 5x more than home charging costs. Public charging rates vary wildly.
The absolute worst cost Public charger I found was $4 for a Level 2 charger in the middle of nowhere. I didn’t want to stay more than an hour so I wound up paying $4 to add 25 miles of range.

Maybe a tiny bit more expensive than paying for 25 miles of gas. Then when I got home I plugged into the free Level 2 charger at the Community College around the corner while I rode around their trails and picked up 75 miles of range for free.

Seems like even though the number of EVs has exploded not a ton of people think to look for free public chargers and I have fairly regularly been able to find free chargers. Usually they are slow but I can often find things to do nearby.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The absolute worst cost Public charger I found was $4 for a Level 2 charger in the middle of nowhere. I didn’t want to stay more than an hour so I wound up paying $4 to add 25 miles of range.

Maybe a tiny bit more expensive than paying for 25 miles of gas. Then when I got home I plugged into the free Level 2 charger at the Community College around the corner while I rode around their trails and picked up 75 miles of range for free.

Seems like even though the number of EVs has exploded not a ton of people think to look for free public chargers and I have fairly regularly been able to find free chargers. Usually they are slow but I can often find things to do nearby.

Yup, lots of free public chargers at malls, grocery stores, libraries, parks, restaurants, parking garages, car dealers, and many more.

I don't know of any public places that will generously handout even a gallon of free gas to anybody that asks.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
One of the things I did when I first put my order down was see what it would cost to drive. What I found is that a rough rule of thumb is you multiply what you pay per KWH by 10 and it comes out pretty closely to the fuel cost in an equivalent vehicle. It seemed to work fairly accurately across the board.

Tesla charger $0.32/kwh = $3.20 per gallon
Electrify America $0.42/kwh = $4.20 per gallon
My house $0.125/kwh = $1.25 per gallon

The author wrote this in the brief time when gas was $2.81/gallon

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yup, lots of free public chargers at malls, grocery stores, libraries, parks, restaurants, parking garages, car dealers, and many more.

I don't know of any public places that will generously handout even a gallon of free gas to anybody that asks.

I forgot the most important charging location in the near future.

AT WORK. Most people work during daylight hours with their car in the company parking lot. Maybe solar panel to L2 charging direct to EVs with little or no grid use.

The cost to most large companies & even smaller companies of putting in some L2 chargers for free or billing workers is minor compared to cost of gasoline.
Not all spaces need chargers since many worker's commute distance may only require charging every 2-3 days.

Also cuts out need for workers to use breaks or lunchtime to rush out and buy gas for current ICE cars. EVs are more reliable and have much lower maintenance needs which helps more workers be at the job on-time and need fewer absences.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I forgot the most important charging location in the near future.

AT WORK. Most people work during daylight hours with their car in the company parking lot. Maybe solar panel to L2 charging direct to EVs with little or no grid use.
This is another one of those places where I think it would be much much better for the US government to invest rather than in direct incentives for EV purchases. Imagine if most workplaces & shopping centers had huge banks of free solar L2 chargers.

Last edited: