Disabling PWS Pedestrian Warning Sound?

Widget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model e
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone who has taken delivery has tried to disable the annoying PWS (pedestrian warning sound). I’m having a hard time deciphering the schematics I’ve seen. I can’t tell if it is still a separate speaker or if it is part of the “Super horn”.
Sponsored

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag
I watched them replace mine, they just removed the front passenger side tire, took off the under panel (looks like a speaker grill), and the speaker is right there.

Just curious, why do you want to remove it?

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Many don't like the sound. Both of our older cars don't have it. New one does. We don't live in an area where it helps people. We do like the silent for watching and seeing wildlife. A real silent car at 7 mph on cruise.

Try not to hit a pedestrian if one does disconnect. Knowing one took the time to remove might be problematic from a legal perspective. Who knows if it would create an in cabin alert.

espresso-drumbeat

First Name
Espresso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I did not disable outside speaker on my CT same as on previous Teslas because I use app to car megaphone from time to time and find that functionality more important and useful than minor annoyance of PWS. YMMV

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck FS AWD, Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone who has taken delivery has tried to disable the annoying PWS (pedestrian warning sound). I’m having a hard time deciphering the schematics I’ve seen. I can’t tell if it is still a separate speaker or if it is part of the “Super horn”.
Why would you want to disable a federally-mandated feature intended to save lives? Surely you could be more creative than sneaking up on and running down pedestrians :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Knowing one took the time to remove might be problematic from a legal perspective. Who knows if it would create an in cabin alert.
Not really, unless your argument was 'they stepped in front of me.'

Why would you want to disable a federally-mandated feature intended to save lives? Surely you could be more creative than sneaking up on and running down pedestrians :)
There's no evidence it saves lives. The motors and tires make noise.

-Crissa

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM1500, Model 3
Occupation
Contractor, Electrical Engr, Master Electrician
Country flag
So is it part of the ‘super horn’ or a separate speaker on CT?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck FS AWD, Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

There's no evidence it saves lives. The motors and tires make noise.

-Crissa
Intended @Crissa. I have to tell you, though, that I was caught by surprise twice in the last month as a pedestrian by BEVs at low speed that I neither saw nor heard. I would take it as an act of aggression someone disabling the warning would.

Flavio

First Name
Flavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model X, Cybertruck
Country flag
Seatbelts are annoying too, in my opinion.

My Teslas are also from before the requirement and I love how quiet they are exiting the garage etc… but.. especially for cybertruck I think pedestrian safety is an important concern. Very hard and pointy steel looks like can do some severe damage at any speed.

Flavio

First Name
Flavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model X, Cybertruck
Country flag
Seatbelts are annoying too, in my opinion.

My Teslas are also from before the requirement and I love how quiet they are exiting the garage etc… but.. especially for cybertruck I think pedestrian safety is an important concern. Very hard and pointy steel looks like can do some severe damage at any speed.
I mean, I can see how a Model 3 has lower risk of injury vs a
Cybertruck in the event of a pedestrian collision

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
-Crissa
Not exactly sure how to respond to that one. If I was the plaintiff. So I will look at it from that view even though I would be blind in this situation.

I think we would have to go beyond contributory negligence if one disabled the system and it resulted in a injury let say death.

There doesn't need to be a crime or a statute broken for negligence to exist. If one hits a blind person in a parking lot and killed or seriously injured them. Car would be towed away. Someone would find that a safety system had been disabled. The blind person couldn't hear as they walked from behind the car. Sure not all cars have them now.

Then we would be either at negligence per se or gross negligence. Maybe not reckless behaviour.

All I would have to do is prove the person violated an applicable safety law or regulation which would trigger automatic negligence in many states. Then did it cause injury.

If one is going to do it. At least install a switch. So one could turn it back on. You could say you forgot to turn it on. So then it would be contributory and not as bad.

That being said. I plan on a switch for my backwoods adventures. Everywhere else I can see why it exists. I just yesterday in my 3 creeped along behind a couple jibber jabbering away while walking dogs down the middle of road. Didn't want to honk. Had to roll down the window and say move it.

Whether it works or stats back it up is not material. What is would be one's maximum policy limits and how big of a check one feels like writing.

massenbg75

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Cybertruck reserved
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My daughter got a hybrid Honda CR-V and the PWS is way annoying. Much louder than any typical ICE exhaust. I would be very interested in having a switch. Maybe select-a-sound? E-Type Jaguar or random farts?

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
the solution for pedestrian safety is pedestrians to stop looking down at their phones and pay attention, problem solved.
Sponsored