Do Tesla cars come with a brake controller for trailers?

cybrtrk_maybe

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500 promaster, Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I recently bought a camper. The vehicle I am going to use to tow it with came with the "towing package"; It has a tow hitch receiver and both the 4 pin and 7 pins connectors... However, I guess the "tow package" doesn't include a brake controller and I had to pay additional to have one installed. This leads me to my question. Do Tesla cars come with a brake controller for trailers?
Advertisement

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The cars? No (but they do have the harness). The truck? We don't know but think something built in probable.

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
my guess is they'll have something built in to the touch screen and maybe use the steering wheel rollers instead of the usual squeezy thing? independent trailer brake requirements vary by location. it's required where i live if you're pulling anything more than 6000 lb. it would be a huge oversight to not include it. having an aftermarket part hanging off the dash goes against their minimalist design.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The thing with the CT is that they'll have the inertial sensor, torque values for the two rear wheels, wheel angular velocity and vehicle angular momentum data available to them. I really hope they put a load cell in the trailer hitch. Combining it's info with that from the other sensors they have a golden opportunity to produce a system which combats sway very much more effectively than anything available today that depends on a pendulum and whether the brake pedal is being depressed or not. That's why I am so sure something will be built in.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I recently bought a camper. The vehicle I am going to use to tow it with came with the "towing package"; It has a tow hitch receiver and both the 4 pin and 7 pins connectors... However, I guess the "tow package" doesn't include a brake controller and I had to pay additional to have one installed. This leads me to my question. Do Tesla cars come with a brake controller for trailers?
The controller is plug and play on all modern vehicles with a tow package. It's sometimes included but not usually, because people have a variety of preferences and needs. I installed mine myself in ten minutes right in the parking lot of the trailer dealer when I bought it. You just plug it in and attach it. The plug is under your dash typically near the steering column.

Back to the CT, it already has all the data needed to provide brake control. I would be shocked if it wasn't just there, done. An add-on controller would just be duplicating the existing inertial and pedal data to provide a variable voltage output to the brakes.

it's required where i live if you're pulling anything more than 6000 lb.
Holy crap, 6k is absolutely insane!! In my state brakes are required above 3k, and even that is pretty high.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
The controller is plug and play on all modern vehicles with a tow package. It's sometimes included but not usually, because people have a variety of preferences and needs. I installed mine myself in ten minutes right in the parking lot of the trailer dealer when I bought it. You just plug it in and attach it. The plug is under your dash typically near the steering column.

Back to the CT, it already has all the data needed to provide brake control. I would be shocked if it wasn't just there, done. An add-on controller would just be duplicating the existing inertial and pedal data to provide a variable voltage output to the brakes.

Holy crap, 6k is absolutely insane!! In my state brakes are required above 3k, and even that is pretty high.
I would assume that the CT will have an integrated brake controller.

6K is really high, I would never tow a trailer anywhere close to 6K lbs without trailer brakes. A quick look through the attachment found most states have requirements in 2-3K range with Alaska at 5K. A few states don't seem to have a requirement (which really surprised me) - https://www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Trailer Brake Requirements.pdf

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I would assume that the CT will have an integrated brake controller.

6K is really high, I would never tow a trailer anywhere close to 6K lbs without trailer brakes. A quick look through the attachment found most states have requirements in 2-3K range with Alaska at 5K. A few states don't seem to have a requirement (which really surprised me) - https://www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Trailer Brake Requirements.pdf
AK and TX have super lax laws on towing. You can even do road trains. I've had a 2500 pound trailer attached to a 9k motorhome that pushed me all over the road when an idiot pulled out in front of me. Guess what trailer got brakes immediately? It was LEGAL, but not safe. And I would say, unethical to put on the road.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Ah yeah, didn't realize you got a van. I was thinking truck. Very weird that Chrysler would choose to exclude that when it's standard on their trucks though. Isn't that thing on a truck chassis? Or is it more like a unibody van?

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
turns out i read the rule wrong. 3000lb + brake is required. 6000lb is brake + brakeaway brake. this is in BC

Doug McAllister

First Name
Douglas L McAllister
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most half ton trucks come standard brake controls. Just bought a Ram 1500 hemi and it was standard. Just bought the Ram because now I’m at least 4 years out.

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
Most half ton trucks come standard brake controls. Just bought a Ram 1500 hemi and it was standard. Just bought the Ram because now I’m at least 4 years out.
that must be new because it's always been an option in the past.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
that must be new because it's always been an option in the past.
Different packages and vendors have varied. My 2020 came with the tow package as well as 100% of all other options, and all I needed was a $20 plug and play harness to add the controller. Mine did NOT have any OEM controller options, the 2021 has an OEM controller option but not standard. I guess many people tow things that don't have electric brakes (either no brake, or surge brake).

Advertisement

Advertisement