Do you think Tesla will answer the R1S with a 3-row below $80k?

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
If/when I actually get a CT, it'd be replacing my Pacifica Hybrid, also known as my kid hauler, also known as the camping-mobile. Somewhere between 4 and 6 of us pile in to a vehicle and drive for 4-14 hours to stay in a tent for a week, and we do that around 4 times a year. In my head I've been thinking that it's such a rarity that we can suck up close quarters for those durations.

That was when my kids were little, when I first reserved my CT, back in Nov. 2019. Now facing an optimistic 2023 delivery my kids are 4 years older, and 4 years bigger - and when I have their cousins (which is about half the time) those 6 of us seem more cramped and I feel like I'm going to miss that third row.

I've been ogling the Rivian lately, mostly because it scratches a long-held automotive itch in they have a green color option. And that Forest Edge interior option makes me feel things for a car I should be reserving for my wife. And I've become particularly enamored with the R1S because it seems like it might give me the option to keep the best parts about the minivan experience, while letting me take my last vehicle to full EV status and serving as a utility vehicle. A bed would be nice, but I have enough trailers to fill that gap.

I'd rather buy a CT-type 3 row. But I don't want/can't afford a Model X, so I need something in the R1S (or CT) price range. Do you think something like that is in the works?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe? I don't see why not. Have you looked at the Model X?

Unlike Rivian, Tesla is very focused on volume right now. It's easier to create one assembly line that makes 5000 trucks/ week than 2 lines which produce 2500/ week.

Once the Cybertruck is out, they are likely to launch something else. Seems like their $25k car is coming up next, but a van might also be coming soon. Musk has definitely talked about a van coming down the pipeline at one point he conjectured about buying Sprinter vans with no drivetrain. In my book anyhow the overlap between vans and large SUVs is pretty large so the resulting vehicle might be something in-between the two.

I think vans have more broad appeal than larger SUVs. They could easily make a 3-4 row van which doubles as a commercial vehicle.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
If/when I actually get a CT, it'd be replacing my Pacifica Hybrid, also known as my kid hauler, also known as the camping-mobile. Somewhere between 4 and 6 of us pile in to a vehicle and drive for 4-14 hours to stay in a tent for a week, and we do that around 4 times a year. In my head I've been thinking that it's such a rarity that we can suck up close quarters for those durations.

That was when my kids were little, when I first reserved my CT, back in Nov. 2019. Now facing an optimistic 2023 delivery my kids are 4 years older, and 4 years bigger - and when I have their cousins (which is about half the time) those 6 of us seem more cramped and I feel like I'm going to miss that third row.

I've been ogling the Rivian lately, mostly because it scratches a long-held automotive itch in they have a green color option. And that Forest Edge interior option makes me feel things for a car I should be reserving for my wife. And I've become particularly enamored with the R1S because it seems like it might give me the option to keep the best parts about the minivan experience, while letting me take my last vehicle to full EV status and serving as a utility vehicle. A bed would be nice, but I have enough trailers to fill that gap.

I'd rather buy a CT-type 3 row. But I don't want/can't afford a Model X, so I need something in the R1S (or CT) price range. Do you think something like that is in the works?

Yup, 3-row (7-8 passenger seating) stainless steel CyberSUV based on Cybertruck platform.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
You can get a seven-seat Model Y. It'll be awhile before there's a minibus.

-Crissa

Cybertruck based 8-seater CyberSUV would be much more spacious, allow most taller adults ( & later age teenagers) seated in 3rd row to ride comfortably for long distance trips, and be much safer if there was a crash.

The Model Y 7-seater's third row does not have enough headroom for taller adults (5ft 5" & up) for medium or long trips. Might be ok for 15 minutes. Even shorter adults (5ft 4") hit their head on roof support while getting in and seated in the 3rd row.

------------------------------

Tesla Model Y Third Row Is No Place For Adult Occupants
People may have enough legroom, but headroom is not really adequate for anybody other than kids below a certain height.
Feb 13, 2021
By: Andrei Nedelea
https://insideevs.com/news/487821/model-y-third-row-not-for-adults/

if taller passengers would ever be there when the car was in an accident, chances are they’d be subjected to massive head trauma.

Tesla Model Y 7 Seater Review... Will an Adult Fit?
Mar 22, 2021
Gjeebs

Does an Adult Fit in the 3rd Row of a Tesla Model Y 7 Seater???
Jan 21, 2021
Francis Garcia

7 Seater Tesla Model Y 3rd Row Hands On!
Jan 21, 2021
Two Bit da Vinci

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm actually super impressed with the 7 seat Model Y. While it's not a large SUV, that's an impressive chunk of space. While the back seat is tight, it's likely more comfortable than cramming 3 people in the back seat of a 5 seater and gives you the option for 4 tall adults and 2 shorter people without rubbing shoulders. That is super impressive.

Obviously not the same as a big SUV. I'd just thought it was more of a joke and never looked at it before.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's no CyberSUV on the horizon, and the average adult fits in the back row of a three-row Model Y. More than enough room for a kid.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
There's no CyberSUV on the horizon, .....
Yeah, when I suggested Cybertruck should have 4WS I was told by many on these forums that Cybertruck design was frozen and 4WS would not happen.
Months later Elon says Cybertruck would have 4WS.

Months ago few would have predicted that Tesla would be working on humanoid robot in next five years.
Elon recently announced they hope to have prototype next year and there are already job listing for working on the Tesla Robot.

Elon has been talking about vans for years.
I do not see where there is a significant difference in near term possibility between van, stainless steel CyberSUV or just Tesla full-size SUV. Tesla could base any of them off Cybertruck chassis.

the average adult fits in the back row of a three-row Model Y. More than enough room for a kid.
Which average?
Is that average of men & women?
Average in China or U.S.?

The Model Y 7-seater's third row does not have enough headroom for taller adults (5ft 5" & up) for medium or long trips. Might be ok for 15 minutes. Even shorter adults (5ft 4") hit their head on roof support while getting in and seated in the 3rd row.
In U.S. the average white (non-Hispanic) males or black males, age 18-60 years is over 5ft 9". Average for women in similar groups are 4-5" lower.

https://allcountries.org/uscensus/230_cumulative_percent_distribution_of_population_by.html

So yes a large percent of white (non-Hispanic) males or black males, age 18-60 years might be very uncomfortable in 3rd row during medium/long trips just as several review videos complained about.

So instead of 7 adults, for medium/long trips, Tesla should say 5 adults + 2 persons under 5ft 5"

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon has been talking about vans for years.
He also said lots of things are in front of it: 4680, Cybertruck, Semi, '$25k'.

Which average?
Exactly what I said. US adults. It'll actually fit slightly more than half of non-hispanic white men in the US. So no, not 5'5".

-Crissa