Does anyone know if Tesla are using the supercapacitor technologies anywhere?

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ref: Batteries vs. Supercapacitors? The Answer is Both. — Capacitech Energy

Extract: "While batteries can provide ~10x more energy over much longer periods of time than a supercapacitor can (meaning they have a higher specific energy), supercapacitors can deliver energy ~10x quicker than a battery can (meaning they have a higher specific power)."

Hi all, I believe I read that Tesla had purchased Maxwell technologies in 2019, but had sold the company later on. Did they keep the IP? Ultracapacitor Overview - Maxwell Technologies

My son was asking me about the use of supercapacitors at Tesla. For example, in regenerative braking in vehicles (e.g., the Cybertruck) and/or the Megapacks. I think it could make sense to use them as regenerative in/out super fast "batteries", but I am not sure about the Megapacks given the very large amount of energy needed. I could not give him an answer. Does anyone know if Tesla are using the supercapacitor technologies anywhere?

I always had a curiosity about supercapacitors, because a "solid state device" like a supercapacitor could temporary act as a "battery" if the "power" requirement numbers are correct in a specific use case (like in braking and/or fast acceleration).

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I always had a curiosity about supercapacitors, because a "solid state device" like a supercapacitor could temporary act as a "battery" if the "power" requirement numbers are correct in a specific use case (like in braking and/or fast acceleration).

Any thoughts?
The volumetric density of capacitors is TERRIBLE. Unless Tesla finds enough unused space to put them (crush zones?🤔) I don't think they'd bother with them.
Sponsored