Mike the cyberguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, I'm curious about how the apocalypse vehicle Cybertruck might fare in something like an EMP attack. Since Tesla vehicles and I assume most other new vehicles have so much electrical technology in them, I'd assume they would get seriously hampered or disabled if they encountered an EMP.

I wonder though if the SS shell of the Cybertruck might help to protect against some of the impacts an EMP attack might bring.
Great question 🤔

Mike the cyberguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV
Country flag
Cement does not conduct electricity, so it would not protect against an EMP. While the stainless steel should make for parts of a good Faraday cage, the windows and antennas (for the truck to talk to the Tesla mothership) would bring the EMP inside to destroy the electronics. Here’s a thread on Stack Exchange about building a faraday cage to protect against an EMP:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...-a-faraday-cage-protect-something-from-an-emp

3 mm stainless steel might sound like it could absorb a stronger wave, but aluminum foil or copper wires would be sufficient for a Faraday cage. The pulse would unlikely create sufficient eddy currents to melt even foil, so 3 mm SS is overkill. The problem is all of the non-conductive holes in the truck.
During 2019 reveal, Elon said the windows are a Armored translucent metal. Wouldn't that Deflect the EMP?

Mike the cyberguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, I'm curious about how the apocalypse vehicle Cybertruck might fare in something like an EMP attack. Since Tesla vehicles and I assume most other new vehicles have so much electrical technology in them, I'd assume they would get seriously hampered or disabled if they encountered an EMP.

I wonder though if the SS shell of the Cybertruck might help to protect against some of the impacts an EMP attack might bring.
Great question, I've always wondered about it

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I am going from memory from some stuff I read years ago.

What gets affected depends on if it is a high altitude or low/ground level detonation.

A high altitude detonation interacts with the ionosphere and magnetic field. This generates more long wave EM which wont affect cars, or any of the smaller electronics. It will affect long line power and communications (note it will not affect fiber optics just wires).

If it is a low level or ground level detonation you will get a lot of high frequency as well, and that will affect everything. The strength will depend on the size of the nuke and the distance, and there are too many variables as to whether or not the metal shell will protect the electronics, or if you will survive. There has been a measured effect due to the openings causing the EM field to be amplified which has caused problems with earlier computerized cars but most of the electronics are shielded to protect them from driving near a radio station.
Sponsored