Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Diesel VW, F350, Prius Prime
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Given the massive size of the CT and my pulling a backhoe nearly every day, I will need a DOT number on the truck. That is lettering with a dozen alpha-numeric characters on each side, about 4” tall. So does paint stick? I think magnets do not. Decals, vinyl lettering, a wrap, what is the best method?
Sponsored

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Given the massive size of the CT and my pulling a backhoe nearly every day, I will need a DOT number on the truck. That is lettering with a dozen alpha-numeric characters on each side, about 4” tall. So does paint stick? I think magnets do not. Decals, vinyl lettering, a wrap, what is the best method?
Lots of owners will want or have to put a display on their pickup for various reasons. Magnets might stick (depending on the kind of stainless), but would be vulnerable to loss. As for paint or decals, I'm sure that what works will become widely known after some are on the road.

OP
OP

Homestead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Lots of owners will want or have to put a display on their pickup for various reasons. Magnets might stick (depending on the kind of stainless), but would be vulnerable to loss. As for paint or decals, I'm sure that what works will become widely known after some are on the road.
I did a magnet test on a sample of 305 stainless steel I bought from McMaster. Maybe similar to the 30x stainless steel of the CT. Cost of around $7 if anyone wants to do ballistic tests or whatever. But the conclusion is that magnets really do not care for this metal. No attraction, so magnetic signs are out.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler
Occupation
Treasury Finance Insurance
Country flag
Homestead -- does your state (MA) require a CDL when you tow that backhoe???

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I've been trying to find a paint on stainless and paint on aluminum solution and the closest I found was epoxy, enamel or epoxy-enamel. Maybe this guy can hook you up with a good solution. :D

Tesla Cybertruck DOT numbers required. Best way? Screenshot_20210305-120144

OP
OP

Homestead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Homestead -- does your state (MA) require a CDL when you tow that backhoe???
Not needed. It is really a very modest size machine. Just to save my back when I am certifying septic systems. I think it is the weight of the tow vehicle that determines commercial license requirements. I have a truck that is rated as 10,000 pounds so I do not need a Class 2 license. If it was 10,001 pounds, I would need one. I am too old to get another license.
Sponsored