Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
"Tesla double-charged some customers for new cars, leaving them desperate for refund details" CNBC

No wonder they were "profitable last year" and "sold" half a million cars.

HEHEHEHEHE ??
Sponsored

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
"Some" is really doing a lot of work here as an adjective.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
True story:

I ordered a 2009 VW TDI Sportswagon. Put $2500 down.

6 months later, no new VW for me, but I got a call from VW Credit thanking me for financing my new VW.

Long story short, the VW dealer was using my "retail sold" to order a car, then immediately sell it over retail, then reuse my order to order another car. The third time they did this, they forgot to take my info off the car and financed some dudes new VW in MY NAME! With my SSN!

It was 100% the dealers fault, and 100% the dude's fault for signing his name to finance paperwork that was in my name. That shithead KNEW his car was financed in someone else name! The nerve.

Oh, was I pissed!

That said, I don't believe the OP. Where's the article? Is it mis-spelled and or have grammatical errors?

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
And I have read somewhere that tomorrow Tesla changes its name to Vesla

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
True story:

I ordered a 2009 VW TDI Sportswagon. Put $2500 down.

6 months later, no new VW for me, but I got a call from VW Credit thanking me for financing my new VW.

Long story short, the VW dealer was using my "retail sold" to order a car, then immediately sell it over retail, then reuse my order to order another car. The third time they did this, they forgot to take my info off the car and financed some dudes new VW in MY NAME! With my SSN!

It was 100% the dealers fault, and 100% the dude's fault for signing his name to finance paperwork that was in my name. That shithead KNEW his car was financed in someone else name! The nerve.

Oh, was I pissed!

That said, I don't believe the OP. Where's the article? Is it mis-spelled and or have grammatical errors?
My wife is anti Tesla (I wonder why :ROFLMAO:) Anyway yesterday she told me all about this. Here's an article.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/tesla-double-charged-some-customers-for-new-cars.html

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's pretty easy to stab buttons in such a way to make multiple purchases, no matter what the software tries to do about race conditions. It's a real pain. That's why so many purchase websites implore you to press the button only once, don't hit the back key, etc.

-Crissa

Reactions: TAG

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Once, while working as a checker at the grocery store in college, I accidentally double keyed and double entered a customer on a package of "peeps" (yes, this was before we had scanners!). $19.99 x 2 IIRC. It did annoy my manager, but it didn't make the news....

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It's pretty easy to stab buttons in such a way to make multiple purchases, no matter what the software tries to do about race conditions. It's a real pain. That's why so many purchase websites implore you to press the button only once, don't hit the back key, etc.

-Crissa

I agree that user error is a possibility but given the number of reports I think it may be just as likely a mistake on Tesla's end. If it was the customer that made the mistake then at least the ordering process should be reviewed to see if the likely hood of this can be reduced by having the user confirm the order, several times if necessary.
What bothers me more about this story is the reported lack of customer service after the sale. The report is that multiple customers were double billed and now they feel like Tesla is not willing to help them sort this out. Can you imagine if you were mistakenly charged tens of thousands of dollars and then having the seller appear to be not willing to assist in refunding your money. My head would explode. As customers they just entered into a relationship with a company and this is how it begins?
This story does not inspire confidence. I am a person who needs at least an acceptable level of customer service. I hope that we are updated on how these matters are resolved. if I were one of these customers I would seriously be questioning my decision to do business with Tesla.
I do appreciate reading this story just as I appreciate all of the things I am learning before I become a Tesla owner. From this I learned that a cashiers check and an in person transaction will be my choice.
3 years from now when my number comes up.

Last edited:

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree that user error is a possibility but I given the number of reports I think it may be just as likely a mistake on Tesla's end. If it was the customer that made the mistake then at least the ordering process should be reviewed to see if the likely hood of this can be reduced by having the user confirm the order, several times if necessary.
What bothers me more about this story is the reported lack of customer service after the sale. The report is that multiple customers were double billed and now they feel like Tesla is not willing to help them sort this out. Can you imagine if you were mistakenly charged tens of thousands of dollars and then having the seller appear to be not willing to assist in refunding your money. My head would explode. As customers they just entered into a relationship with a company and this is how it begins?
This story does not inspire confidence. I am a person who needs at least an acceptable level of customer service. I hope that we are updated on how these matters are resolved. if I were one of these customers I would seriously be questioning my decision to do business with Tesla.
I do appreciate reading this story just as I appreciate all of the things I am learning before I become a Tesla owner. From this I learned that a cashiers check and an in person transaction will be my choice.
3 years from now when my number comes up.
When MY NUMBER COMES UP ... I hope it's for my CT!!!!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So... its no cybertruck or divorce? ?
Ha, No after 29 years of being married, we both learned to be a little flexible. I've learned there are times I just need to shut up and she's learned to pick your battles (actually both of us have learned that). She was anti EV's and didn't like that they were so quiet. Now that we bought an Pacifica PHEV, she's actually enjoying the smooth quiet ride. BUT, she still likes to punch it at the freeway onramp and hear that V6 growl. :p

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Ha, No after 29 years of being married, we both learned to be a little flexible. I've learned there are times I just need to shut up and she's learned to pick your battles (actually both of us have learned that). She was anti EV's and didn't like that they were so quiet. Now that we bought an Pacifica PHEV, she's actually enjoying the smooth quiet ride. BUT, she still likes to punch it at the freeway onramp and hear that V6 growl.
I solve the quiet problem by rolling down my windows in the parking lot and cranking ZZ Top songs.....

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Another question comes to mind... How careful is someone who just pays the entire price of a car with a credit card/electronic bank draft?

The whole idea sounds 'not careful'.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I solve the quiet problem by rolling down my windows in the parking lot and cranking ZZ Top songs.....
Good idea, I'll have to give her that tip! :p
Sponsored