Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Having worked in the HVAC industry, I can definitely say I have seen those who learned from doing, those who learned via a class, and those who just showed up. It is the last ones that cause the most issues, even though when I was doing it (long ago), it was those who learned via a class that got a lot of ridicule.

Many things have improved, but I still see those who I would not trust to connect pex lines or PVC, let alone sweat fit copper tubing. And do not get me started on half-ass wiring...
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Having worked in the HVAC industry, I can definitely say I have seen those who learned from doing, those who learned via a class, and those who just showed up. It is the last ones that cause the most issues, even though when I was doing it (long ago), it was those who learned via a class that got a lot of ridicule.
In my experience it doesn't matter what route the guy followed. What counts is whether or not he has "the knack". If he has it, he doesn't have to go to tech school or engineering school. BTW I'm not talking just HVAC techs here. I am referring to any kind of tech and the remarks apply to engineers too. I don't know if this is going to mean anything to non tech types but it is about as well explained here as any where.

Stick around past the end of "The Knack" for the next video which gives a little insight as to how engineers view "suits".

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Stick around past the end of "The Knack" for the next video which gives a little insight as to how engineers view "suits".
Of course, the author of that series is also a great example of engineer over-reach. Thinking that since you have 'the knack' you can do anything. He fashions himself a master hypnotist and philosopher, but write things like this: https://comicsalliance.com/scott-adam-sexist-mens-rights/

Ahh, if only his comics would have a completed plot. Ohwell, not the only creator to be utterly disappointing yet produced and interesting premise.

Always remember that even if you're right about something, someone else may also be right about it and not agree with you. Every definition is a cloud of features, and you might select different features from the cloud to be right about than someone else.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
And a good tech can spot a good engineer in a few minutes.
That goes without saying. It is a brotherhood of the technically aware irrespective of education or experience. We pity the lay population because they haven't our vision. They pity us because they think we are all at a minimum Aspergers.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They pity us because they think we are all at a minimum Aspergers.
You do flag a few text tics of ASD. But even that's just a cloud of features which means being able to see things differently. For the longest time people have accepted that there are people who are even better at social settings or whatnot.

Being recognized for looking at things differently - and sometimes the difficulties that go with - is very useful.

It also gives more space and a path to independence or at least social adaptability for those somewhere further from the cloud of norms. The cloud should just be bigger, but we have to figure out how to accept those possibly immiscible differences. ^-^

-Crissa

BrandZing

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
brand marketing
Country flag
Doug's a blow hard that doesn't have any real knowledge or appreciation of trucks or for the Cyber Truck. The Hummer doesn't even exist yet. its all vaporware like the phony Nikola truck that is not even real or close to a production vehicle. Its a prototype only to attract investors and their money. What a sham! There is no other comparable electric truck on the market or in production.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
:ROFLMAO: I see, so you’re the only one qualified to talk about stuff because the rest of us peasants have to get our info from the web.

I know an old saying:
How do you know how to tell if a someone you just met is an engineer?
Wait 30 seconds and they will tell you.

As a professional some of my worst experiences have been trying to serve engineers because they disregard my training and experience because I’m... well not an engineer. So I will admit I have negative bias. ?

Anyway, the internet is THE source for info now. But discernment is key.
Yeah, engineers are dinks.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I respect the reviewing guys or gals that are true truck folks, sometimes if you don't know what kind of tree you are looking at, wait for it to bear fruit. So you might have to listen to a few duds before you find someone with real experiences and wisdom. For me no matter how great a truck is just wait for its service or repair bill which is the usually not mentioned like EGR cooler went out or needs a new turbo. New trucks are nice until this happens and the truck got a good review too.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
They both have the gift of gab. There are people who just love to talk all day and these two individuals fall into that category. I simply don’t have the patience to watch either of them. But they are no different than the majority of You Tube videos. They can summarize what they have to say in a few minutes but they love flapping their lips in front of a camera for 20 minutes.

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
They both have the gift of gab. There are people who just love to talk all day and these two individuals fall into that category. I simply don’t have the patience to watch either of them. But they are no different than the majority of You Tube videos. They can summarize what they have to say in a few minutes but they love flapping their lips in front of a camera for 20 minutes.
The king of talking while saying nothing is Teslabruh, its so much people will post in the comments when he gets to the point

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The king of talking while saying nothing is Teslabruh, its so much people will post in the comments when he gets to the point
I totally concur. In fact I will go out of my way to avoid Teslabruh. It’s impossible for me to listen to him for more than 15 seconds before wanting to just bang my head against the wall till I lose consciousness.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, CTguy is kinda just voicing what we're talking about here, tho. Repetition is the game.

Certainly he gives us some good topic discussions. Some people are better with text, others are more verbal.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Both of these guys are long winded. After watching a couple minutes of mouths moving without saying anything I stopped. No way I'm going to pay $100K for any Hummer, even an EV. I'm cautiously optimistic Tesla will get its act together in a year or 2 when more than a few hundred CTs are actually sold. However if the CT is a lemon like the Model X there's no way I go through with my purchase. I end with a short poem that Hummer inspired:
Hummer
What could be dumber?
I think Cybertruck Guy has been very helpful in understanding the U.S. pickup truck market buyers. I have watched some other truck owner videos but Guy's have been the best. He has both business and recreational uses of pickup trucks. He lives in heart of USA truck country & probably most of his friends drive pickups. Cybertruck Guy has real world experience on how pickups are used in normal people's lives.

Doug Demuro most of the time talks about vehicles that many of us might want but 99.99 of us will never drive and even less chance of owning. I find stuff like that a waste of time.

I found most every Cybertruck Guy videos informative and occasionally need to re-watch a few of them.
Sponsored

Last edited: