Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
It all sounds great as long as we don't give up our freedom!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I'm heavily of the opinion that driving assistance features should be user selectable, ALWAYS! For example, lane departure warning. Can this feature be turned off? Can it be set to be off by default? What's next, "approaching speed limit" warnings?!?!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
It all sounds great as long as we don't give up our freedom!
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.... no but seriously what do you mean by freedom? You are not free on the roads, you are following a set of rules so that you can share the road with other drivers. Dont get me wrong, I break the rules too sometimes, especially speeding.

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
I'm heavily of the opinion that driving assistance features should be user selectable, ALWAYS! For example, lane departure warning. Can this feature be turned off? Can it be set to be off by default? What's next, "approaching speed limit" warnings?!?!
Tesla is constantly working on improvements to their software. I just got an update to 2020.12.6 on our Model X today which introduces Traffic Light and Stop Sign recognition which is a Beta release. Many options in controls for various settings of a Tesla, these are the current settings for Autopilot:

Tesla Cybertruck Driving assistance features C26E866E-0EE3-4EB5-B00B-7AC869357B37

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Tesla is constantly working on improvements to their software. I just got an update to 2020.12.6 on our Model X today which introduces Traffic Light and Stop Sign recognition which is a Beta release. Many options in controls for various settings of a Tesla, these are the current settings for Autopilot:

C26E866E-0EE3-4EB5-B00B-7AC869357B37.png
With the new update do you have to turn "lane departure warning" off everytime you drive (defaults to ON)?

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Country flag
With the new update do you have to turn "lane departure warning" off everytime you drive (defaults to ON)?
Nope, it saves all your settings! I’ll have to test the Controls settings, I’m not sure if these can be saved to individual driver profiles

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Perhaps "freedom" was too broad of a term...

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Perhaps "freedom" was too broad of a term...
This is an important topic and I'm not even sure how I feel about machine control. We discussed it slightly on another thread but no one was bold.
So should you be allowed to turn it off? What if injury rate for occupants is 1/2 if it's on? If you turn it off and injure a passenger are you at fault? What if it's a kid?
What if you are an excellent driver and are 50% better than the machine but a truck hits you and you skid off the road and smash a baby. Are you responsible? With machine control the baby might have been avoided. No one knows you are 50% better because when nothing bad happens no one notices, only the failures are counted.
If overall machine is better should others allow me to turn it off and increase their risk? I'm guessing no because it would be willful harm. A reasonable person would not turn off safety equipment.
Are you giving up liberty? I dont know if you ever had liberty or freedom and I'm betting that quote from Franklin was given in a context that he probably never intended to be used with machine control. ?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
That was good Dids. Point taken. But when do we call it giving up being human?
I dont know... I posted a poll to see what others think and then I voted no that you shouldn't be allowed to turn it off if it is better than human driver. Even with me writing the question I'm still not sure I voted right.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
This is an important topic and I'm not even sure how I feel about machine control. We discussed it slightly on another thread but no one was bold.
So should you be allowed to turn it off? What if injury rate for occupants is 1/2 if it's on? If you turn it off and injure a passenger are you at fault? What if it's a kid?
What if you are an excellent driver and are 50% better than the machine but a truck hits you and you skid off the road and smash a baby. Are you responsible? With machine control the baby might have been avoided. No one knows you are 50% better because when nothing bad happens no one notices, only the failures are counted.
If overall machine is better should others allow me to turn it off and increase their risk? I'm guessing no because it would be willful harm. A reasonable person would not turn off safety equipment.
Are you giving up liberty? I dont know if you ever had liberty or freedom and I'm betting that quote from Franklin was given in a context that he probably never intended to be used with machine control. ?
Very interesting read Dids. I enjoyed it. Great points.?

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Country flag

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Already there are parameters, so our freedom has not been taken away. One of the things you can set is how far over the speed limit you would allow the car to travel. That is limited, but you still have some control, even to the extent it "allows you" to break the law. I have heard "aggressiveness" is another characteristic the passenger can set.
Being free does not mean you have the freedom to increase the risk to others.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yes, all of this can be turned off.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Good questions all, but at the end of the day society will hold the driver responsible if they are in control, and will hold the driver responsible if they weren’t in control but it is deemed that they should have been. Whether we choose to relinquish control, to whatever extent is, until we have L5 self driving capability, up to our discretion.
Sponsored