A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Ad nauseam. There are evidently still some people here that don't understand the distance between rated range which is a fixed numer certified by the EPA and the range estimate that appears on some of the displays and which depends on recent driving history. They still think the TM will have 600 mi certified range. Cooler heads do not,

Reactions: Woo

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
When you maintain aerodynamics, drive conservatively to reduce battery load and drive relatively flat surfaces, manage load, you can extend battery range beyond estimates.

When you get board with that driving method, have a tire with more grip, maybe add a hill or two to your drive, range will go below estimates.

Yes, you could average 400 miles depending on your driving conditions and habits. However, you don’t typically want to drain to near zero and charge to 100z as standard practice for battery life.

Be patient with AJ, he is working on an ROI question for me. He’s a smart individual too. He misses a perspective that if one person is exposed to information, everyone is not instantly exposed to the same information.

I lack social grace and thus more direct. ?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's possible. One big question is whether or not the estimated range is with any load in it. I think the Lightnings estimated range is with a 1000lb load. So if tesla is doing the same, you could get more if there is no load in it at all.

Beyond that it's mostly driving habits, weather, trip conditions, speed. I remember a story of some guys who did 600+ miles in the model 3 by just driving in a way that gives the best range. took them over a full day i believe. It'll be interesting to see how far people can go with the Cybertruck doing the same thing.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Well, I'm hoping to get more than quoted for the DM as in Oz we have only one territory where you can drive max 130k/h. All other states have some 110 on fwys and typically 100 and less every where else. And Oz is fairly flat!
It is also usually a LONG way between e-pumps, so need the range.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
If range is your priority concern spring for the tri-motor. You can probably swing the number fairly wide given driving conditions, speed, even ambient humidity can effect things with an EV. Due to the efficiency of the motors you end up seeing all of these effects in a magnifying fashion compared to ICE vehicles.

The other thing to consider is that the sweet spot for EVs is somewhere between 30 and 50 mph from what I've seen, where most ICE cars are optimized between 55 and 65.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
I cannot raise the $$$$ to get a TM, and I guess the insurance is more than I get on the pension :(:(
It would be best for Oz, even though we could not use the speed / power.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The other thing to consider is that the sweet spot for EVs is somewhere between 30 and 50 mph from what I've seen, where most ICE cars are optimized between 55 and 65.
Above 30 is where aerodynamics plays the larger part. Hence Tesla, Lucid, Porsche, and Aptera chasing low aerodynamic profiles.

Many have their motors to be sweet between 50-60 like ICE cars, but the poor aerodynamics starts hurting their range.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I cannot raise the $$$$ to get a TM, and I guess the insurance is more than I get on the pension :(:(
It would be best for Oz, even though we could not use the speed / power.
Think long term...really long term. You can keep the CT for 20 years if you wanted to.
If we take the Stainless body, the few bearings on a EV drivetrain, and the million mile battery (that's 50,000km for 32 years!). You will likely need a interior update more than mechanical repairs.

All cars should be budgeted on your daily running cost including externalities, which strongly depends on how long you expect to keep it. A CT can be a "generational" car and past on as well. Your ROI will increase accordingly.

For Australia I went for two TM models, simply because there is still only 1 supercharger in WA. But I also figured out that buying a TM is cheaper than buying the equivalent in batteries in Tesla Powerwalls, and with the TM I get the car thrown in for free. Such is the life of a off-grid bushranger! :cool:

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Think long term...really long term. You can keep the CT for 20 years if you wanted to.
If we take the Stainless body, the few bearings on a EV drivetrain, and the million mile battery (that's 50,000km for 32 years!). You will likely need a interior update more than mechanical repairs.

All cars should be budgeted on your daily running cost including externalities, which strongly depends on how long you expect to keep it. A CT can be a "generational" car and past on as well. Your ROI will increase accordingly.

For Australia I went for two TM models, simply because there is still only 1 supercharger in WA. But I also figured out that buying a TM is cheaper than buying the equivalent in batteries in Tesla Powerwalls, and with the TM I get the car thrown in for free. Such is the life of a off-grid bushranger! :cool:
YES BUT! My guess is that I may not MAKE 20 YEARS!? i'M ALREADY IN THE "OLD" GROUP.
i MAY NOT EVEN GET THE CT soon enough to use it to get any ROI. I don't have anyone to leave it to that would use it! Maybe I could be buried in it?
OR rupture the battery pack and do the Viking thing?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
When I drive my volt up a steep grade at 85 mph, my battery lea
YES BUT! My guess is that I may not MAKE 20 YEARS!? i'M ALREADY IN THE "OLD" GROUP.
i MAY NOT EVEN GET THE CT soon enough to use it to get any ROI. I don't have anyone to leave it to that would use it! Maybe I could be buried in it?
OR rupture the battery pack and do the Viking thing?
I don’t know how to break this to you delicately… I’m your long lost son.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s all in the transmission.

If you have a CVT on an ICE car, it’s more efficient at 45 MPH than 55 MPG so long as it’s not stop and go traffic. It’s just that nobody runs at those speeds for miles at a time.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think the suspension, air compressor, door seals, vault cover, tailgate, frunk latch, etc etc are the most vulnerable/ liable to fail.

I’d sure like to think if I spend $70k on a car it’ll last 20 years.
Sponsored