Dual Motor reservation holders, still a buyer at $79,900?

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model X, Cyber Tri-Motor
Country flag
Reservation holders simply have to look at the BEV pickup competition already on the market to get an idea regarding new MSRP’s. Nothing on the market is inexpensive other than the fleet focused $52k Lightning Pro which is virtually impossible to order.

-A 2024 Dual Motor Lightning Flash/Lariat will start at $72k
-A Dual Motor Rivian R1T with a large battery pack starts around $80k

The technology in the Cybertruck will blow both of them out of the water. Neither one has RWS, 800 volt charging architecture, 48 volt electrical system, super durable stainless steel exterior, aluminum Giga castings front and rear, steer-by-wire technology (maybe), no handles anywhere on the vehicle, heat pump HVAC technology, superior software, access to the painless Supercharging network, etc.

The Canoo pickup will be the only truly affordable pickup if it ever goes into production. The truck is basically a 21st century version of the old VW air-cooled pickup truck.

B70D2719-0C75-49A0-A86D-B98A1C530310.jpeg
78B58E54-7625-45DE-A931-A3BDB967D41F.jpeg
The difference with the other pickups on the market is that they are not priced for high volume. Rivian sold about 35k in three quarters. It is priced as a premium product and price, which severely limits the market size. I don't argue whether or not the CT might be worth the money - I don't think a dual with 350 at this late stage of the game and with a quirky style is - but, give me an argument that supports 250k vehicles per year at that price?? Tesla is in a major pickle. Better to take a penetration pricing strategy - they are the newcomers to this market.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I do not believe that is true.
Three motor design doesnt mean carbon wrapped motors.
Plaid requires carbon wrapped motors.
Tesla has never put into production, past nor present, delivered or pilot, a two-motors-to-an-axle that wasn't carbon wrapped.

Not saying they couldn't do it, but the Plaid style powertrain is in the S, X, and Semi. They were playing with it on tracks before the Cybertruck reveal. It just seems to me that's why they even had the Tri Motor version on the list.

-Crissa

Love2Cyber

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model X, Cyber Tri-Motor
Country flag
Yeah - anything over 60k and I keep my Prius as a daily driver and park a Ram 2500 Diesel on the side yard for real truck work. I'll use my CT flip money to buy that.

KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
Tesla has never put into production, past nor present, delivered or pilot, a two-motors-to-an-axle that wasn't carbon wrapped.

Not saying they couldn't do it, but the Plaid style powertrain is in the S, X, and Semi. They were playing with it on tracks before the Cybertruck reveal. It just seems to me that's why they even had the Tri Motor version on the list.

-Crissa
Hey Crissa, where did you get that info about the two-motors-to-an-axle that wasn't carbon wrapped?
We all know the Semi uses tri-motor. But has there been a tear down or Tesla saying that the motors are carbon wrapped?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hey Crissa, where did you get that info about the two-motors-to-an-axle that wasn't carbon wrapped?
We all know the Semi uses tri-motor. But has there been a tear down or Tesla saying that the motors are carbon wrapped?
They said so on the drive with Jay Leno, I think. No, wait! It was the delivery event. I recently re-watched that to show someone when they talked about the clutch, and Elon said it then.

-Crissa

JBerger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Country flag
Yes.
If it goes over 80k then I am out and I will get the rivian dual motor for under 80k

bdmridgeback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Traverse, BDM Ridgeback, Ford Transit Connect
Occupation
Business Owner/Manager
Country flag
I'll be out with my dual motor reservation at $79,900. I'll buy out out my Silverado lease and keep it if the price is over $60k on the CT

KHappe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck on order
Country flag
They said so on the drive with Jay Leno, I think. No, wait! It was the delivery event. I recently re-watched that to show someone when they talked about the clutch, and Elon said it then.

-Crissa
Watched delivery event.
Yep, Semi uses Tri-Motor and wrapped motors

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I hate to break it to you, but I think the Cybertruck will be priced at least initially near the Model X and S. Let me further clarify what I mean by this. What sets the CT apart from the Model X? No paint, no soft-closing doors, no falcon-wing doors, and lastly, no driver's display. Both have air suspension... I'm pretty certain the CT will be more robust. It has a larger battery, more cameras, more technology, and rear-wheel steering, but it's supposed to come to market for less than the X or S!?
There is a lot you're missing here so I'm going to guess you have less experience in auto manufacturing than Tesla? Do you know which automaker has the CEO with the longest tenue? Yup, it's Tesla by a mile. He's the most experienced CEO in the auto industry.

The biggest thing you don't seem to get is that both S&X were designed for relatively low volume of production (and that has everything to do with how low Tesla can drive prices).

Every new model that Tesla releases comes with new manufacturing techniques designed to speed production lines and make more cars using less time and less factory space, and fewer individual components that need to be joined together. This drives down the cost to produce. The Cybertruck will be the first Tesla model to exclusively use battery cells designed and built in-house by Tesla. Sure, Tesla has always built their own batteries, but the cells themselves previously came from partners and suppliers. This lowers the cost to produce.

Tesla's overall volume of production increases each and every year. That means fixed costs can spread out over more vehicles. This lowers the cost to end user.

The Cybertruck is the first Tesla model to not require a paintshop for the bodywork. This drives down the cost to produce.

In short, I'm not sure what you think you are breaking to us, as if we should listen to an auto manufacturing nobody above Tesla, the company whose last car to be released, the Model Y, is already the best-selling car in the entire world, gas or electric. So much for electric cars costing too much to ever sell in high volumes. It's the best-selling car in the entire world. What is it that you don't understand about that? Why do you think you know more than the people who are actually leading the revolution of better, more affordable cars that are easier and more cost effective to buy and maintain? Every generation gets better and can be built more efficiently.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
What makes you think CT will use plaid motors? We've seen no confirmation of this Maybe 1 variant will.
Probably the exact same thing that makes some people so sure Cybertruck will be designed around a mid-gate even though Tesla has never indicated it might. Specifically, a disconnect with reality.

Last edited:

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Damn, great question. I would need to see what that monthly payment looks like when it’s all said and done. But also get a better idea of what FSD will be like with the CT.
The Model X Dual Motor with 348 miles of range is $79,990. With a $1,390 Destination Fee and a $250 Order Fee it ends up $81,630.

Here’s some info from Tesla’s website:

Est. loan payment
$1,295 /mo
$4,500 (6%) down, 6.49% APR, 72 months
Includes $1,390 destination fee
Excluding taxes & other fees

I’m not sure where you can get a loan that cheap on a new car unless Tesla is financing it. You might also qualify for the $7,500 tax credit.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The Model X Dual Motor with 348 miles of range is $79,990. With a $1,390 Destination Fee and a $250 Order Fee it ends up $81,630.

Here’s some info from Tesla’s website:

Est. loan payment
$1,295 /mo
$4,500 (6%) down, 6.49% APR, 72 months
Includes $1,390 destination fee
Excluding taxes & other fees

I’m not sure where you can get a loan that cheap on a new car unless Tesla is financing it. You might also qualify for the $7,500 tax credit.
DCU had the best rates a couple years ago because they give interest rate discounts for EVs.

Also they have longer loan terms.

I had Tesla rate match them Though and my loan is through US Bank lol

If anyone needs a referral lmk
Sponsored