Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
So..... starting this as a follow up to something that @scottysize said in another thread.

I'm not getting the truck for those reasons you listed above. I'm getting it because of the capabilities and it's time for me to setup my retirement vehicle. I plan on retiring in 8 years and I'm getting FSD because I'll need a vehicle to move me around after I can't drive any longer.
I just turned 57 last Sunday. The first thing I noticed when I got my Model 3, was that it's a low to get into for us old folks! I was immediately worried about getting my aging mother into and out of it for doctor visits/trips when it comes to that. I'm having bad memories of doing similar on my grandmother (who recently died at 93, mostly paralyzed from multiple strokes) with moms Toyota Camry.

For now, I've set "easy entry" to move the seat way back and as high as possible. I've noticed that when I get out I tend to push off on the B column with my arm as I stand up. Before I got the Model 3, I was driving a Scion xB (my wife's old car and an breeze to get into) and my '99 Dodge Ram, which was also pretty easy. I should note that for my age I'm actually in pretty good shape. I can only imagine for others.

So I'm kinda thinking that from an aging standpoint, the CT will be easier to get into as we get older. I have a folding portable step as well that I used to use for getting into the back of my truck, or for Mom if I had to take her in my truck. That would make it easier. Of course, with the CT you can lower the suspension right?

So, is this another "Plus" on the Pro side of trading the model 3 in for a Cybertruck?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
The entire cybertruck can kneel quite a bit, as shown on launch. That was part of the charm for me thinking of kids and old dogs, then eventually myself. I reckon there will be a "entry hight" setting as well as the normal automation in the 3.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The entire cybertruck can kneel quite a bit, as shown on launch. That was part of the charm for me thinking of kids and old dogs, then eventually myself. I reckon there will be a "entry hight" setting as well as the normal automation in the 3.
Old dogs. Hadn't thought of that. l had to get a folding truck ramp for "Bear" when he started having issues with that. His favorite thing was go out with me in the truck. Once I caught him following me down the road at 30 MPH!

Miss that old guy, we lost him last October.

Tesla Cybertruck Ease of vehicle entry: Cybertruck vs Model 3 IMG_7556.JPG

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
There is also the aftermarket manufacturers that might offer a step rail system that you see on other "two story trucks". That is if there are points where things like that can be attached.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Old dogs. Hadn't thought of that. l had to get a folding truck ramp for "Bear" when he started having issues with that. His favorite thing was go out with me in the truck. Once I caught him following me down the road at 30 MPH!

IMG_7556.JPG
That's rough, always tough when a dog goes. At least the kneeling feature and the entry ramp will be ready for all the dogs to ride in it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Rudyard Kipling (if you look it up be sure you have tissues handy)

Having driven SUV's and trucks for years and tending towards largish dogs I have learned that it is generally simpler and faster to have the dog put his fore paws on the bed and heave up the rear end than to fiddle with ramps. This was even the case with my big Newf who weighed 225 lbs. Problem is that the younger ones, who can perfectly well jump in if they want to, see the senior ones "getting a boost" and want it too. You all know the reaction that the jingle of car keys produces (won't happen with fobs). As soon as the tail gate is down the paws are up and they are giving you that look over their shoulders. This method may be hard on your shoulders and backs but it seems to very entertaining to passers by.

CyberKenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Deep Blue Metallic
Country flag
The beauty of air suspension. Not only good for performance but also for conveniences like clearance and ease of entry.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I just turned 57 last Sunday. The first thing I noticed when I got my Model 3, was that it's a low to get into...
Yes, the current cars are difficult in that regard but I didn't think it would be a problem for you younger guys. This was one of the major things that drove this pair of senior citizens to the X. It is dimensionaly larger and in addition has the ability to program the seats to slide all the way back when shifting into park making it easier to get in and out. It automatically moves the seat forward to the position programmed for you when you get in as soon as is senses your weight in the seat and detects your fob. I don't know if the 3 has this and, of course, I don't know whether the CT will. It's definitely the sort of feature one associates with a "premium interior" pack and leads to the question as to how much of a luxury vehicle is the CT going to be? Will there be a premium interior option.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I don't know if the 3 has this and, of course,
It does (quoting my OP): "For now, I've set "easy entry" to move the seat way back and as high as possible."

I don't know whether the CT will. It's definitely the sort of feature one associates with a "premium interior" pack and leads to the question as to how much of a luxury vehicle is the CT going to be? Will there be a premium interior option.
In my Ram I never felt I needed to move the seat (40/20/40 split) once I got it set.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler
Occupation
Treasury Finance Insurance
Country flag
I'm a little bit younger than OP -- nothing like cracking the side of your head, bending down to drive Wifey's VW Jetta (and I'm 5'10"...)

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm a little bit younger than OP -- nothing like cracking the side of your head, bending down to drive Wifey's VW Jetta (and I'm 5'10"...)
My GF always jokes that our trucks make her feel like she's climbing into a tank. She's 5'3" and I'm 5'7", so a step helps, but a kneeling vehicle will make car seats way easier as well as entry

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

IMG_7556.JPG
I lost mine at the end of January so I know exactly how you feel and am sorry for your loss. I still believe that having the truck kneel so we can get in and out is a waste of energy (compressor is running off the battery), so Tesla could build a pneumatic or electric retractable step right into the design...they still have time to do it.

cbbowlingmd

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Model X,63 Corvette,32 Buick Model 86 Victoria
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
I lost mine at the end of January so I know exactly how you feel and am sorry for your loss. I still believe that having the truck kneel so we can get in and out is a waste of energy (compressor is running off the battery), so Tesla could build a pneumatic or electric retractable step right into the design...they still have time to do it.
This is exactly my thought. A retractable running board type set up to serve as an entry and exit step. they could even be tied in with the door handles opening and retracting.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3, 1997 GMC C-15, 2018 GMC Sierra, 2018 GMC Canyon
Occupation
Real Estate Developer / General Contractor
Country flag
Thank you for posting this. This is my biggest complaint about the model 3. I actually went out and bought an old pickup truck because I can’t stand getting into and out of this little thing. My model 3 sits parked now Most days. How does one set “easy entry”. I would really love to set this on my model 3.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Thank you for posting this. This is my biggest complaint about the model 3. I actually went out and bought an old pickup truck because I can’t stand getting into and out of this little thing. My model 3 sits parked now Most days. How does one set “easy entry”. I would really love to set this on my model 3.
here's a handy set of instructions https://www.howtotesla.com/how-to-set-up-easy-entry-in-a-tesla/
Sponsored