azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Anybody looking into the EGO ZTR, I am in the market for a new ZTR mower. It will be either an Ego Z6 or a John Deere 5 or 7 series
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Anybody looking into the EGO ZTR, I am in the market for a new ZTR mower. It will be either an Ego Z6 or a John Deere 5 or 7 series
I have used EGO walk behind and I was impressed, it certainly outperformed gasoline in high grass, really liked the way it kicked up as grass got thicker. Did not like greenworks but I'm not sure if they were comparable models....
Definitely encourage battery mowers, small engines are horrible polluters and the maintenance....

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Definitely encourage battery mowers, small engines are horrible polluters and the maintenance....
And horrible NOISE polluters. Especially the 2 cycle leaf blowers.

The Backpacks are popular with commercial users.

EGO 56V Backpack Specs
  • Model: EGO LB6000
  • Brushless motor
  • Variable speed throttle w/lock-on
  • Run time: 120 minutes (low), 22 minutes (high), 15 minutes (turbo)
  • Air speed: 145 MPH
  • Air volume: 320 CFM (Low) to 600 CFM (Turbo)
  • Noise: 64 dB SPL
  • Battery: 56V 5.0 Ah Arc-Lithium, 280Wh
  • Adjustable harness with waist belt
  • Weight: 13 lbs.
  • Warranty: 5 years
  • Includes: Backpack blower, 56V 5.0Ah battery, charger, user manual
  • Price: $299 (includes 5.0 amp hour battery & charger)

As with any battery-powered machines the weakness is with the battery run time, not the performance. And one advertised as 8 times quieter than gas powered!

Once the new battery technologies that are now being used in EV's start to filter down to all other electronic devises and the cost per kWh of these batteries keep dropping the gas powered products will eventually lose out to the battery-operated products. HURRAY! :love:

Last edited:

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Was looking at them, but with only a 42" cut, it just isn't big enough. Went with a JD instead.

OP
OP
azjohn

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
And horrible NOISE polluters. Especially the 2 cycle leaf blowers.

The Backpacks are popular with commercial users.

EGO 56V Backpack Specs
  • Model: EGO LB6000
  • Brushless motor
  • Variable speed throttle w/lock-on
  • Run time: 120 minutes (low), 22 minutes (high), 15 minutes (turbo)
  • Air speed: 145 MPH
  • Air volume: 320 CFM (Low) to 600 CFM (Turbo)
  • Noise: 64 dB SPL
  • Battery: 56V 5.0 Ah Arc-Lithium, 280Wh
  • Adjustable harness with waist belt
  • Weight: 13 lbs.
  • Warranty: 5 years
  • Includes: Backpack blower, 56V 5.0Ah battery, charger, user manual
  • Price: $299 (includes 5.0 amp hour battery & charger)

As with any battery-powered machines the weakness is with the battery run time, not the performance. And one advertised as 8 times quieter than gas powered!

Once the new battery technologies that are now being used in EV's start to filter down to all other electronic devises and the cost per kWh of these batteries keep dropping the gas powered products will eventually lose out to the battery-operated products. HURRAY! :love:
I am pleased with my other EGO products. Leaf blower, Chain saw and Hedge trimmer, problem is when Ego will be selling the Z6. Lowes is their main retailer now.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
You may have watched these two You Tube Videos: 1.) EGO Zero Turn by "Kite Army" Note: He has 2 videos, the second one is on actual use 2.) Brutally testing a new mower by "Dirt Monkey", pretty amazing the height of material this mower can cut without bogging down.

In comparing the 1.) EGO Z6 with the 2.) Cub Cadet Ultima ZT-1-42E and also the 3.) Ryobi RY482TR100.....The EGO seems to have the advantage.

Advantages may be:
1.) Quality of cut.
2.) More resistant to rain/water damage including the water flushing deck.
3.) Ease of deck removal in order to clean or sharpen/replace blades.
4.) Potentially overall quality of machine.

While keeping the current 54" 38HP Walker until the EGO Z6 proves itself, the plan is to purchase a EGO Z6 asap.

OP
OP
azjohn

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Came across this Youtube video, the guy puts it through testing which will be more extreme than what I have

OP
OP
azjohn

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I finally found an Ego Zero Turn on display at a Lowes. Sat in the seat and it was a firm no, much too small to be comfortable

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Any recommendations on a electric riding mower.
Mu old gas one has nearly given up on me after 20yrs.
Time to replace and would like a battery one.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Two years ago, replaced my 2-strokes with Stihl electrics. They have two sizes of li-ion batteries; I got the larger. My two batteries (one charger) power a pole chainsaw, hand chainsaw, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, and rotary trimmer. Costly but worth it for the convenience. (I didn't get the push mower.)

Hedge trimmer's a delight and the most useful is the pole chainsaw. Hand chainsaw, to use a phrase, doesn't quite cut it on bigger stuff, but is safe, quiet, and light As for starting and refueling, that's where it pays for itself. Shortest operating time is the 15 minutes from the blower, but it's effective while running.

I recommend this route if you have the need and money for several of them. If you want just one, the cost of the charger and battery (or two) makes it impractical. They come in a carton but assembly was intuitive and fast except for the pole chainsaw that was tricky and had poor instructions, so let the dealer do it and show you how to extend it.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Update on EGO's Z6 Zero Turn Lawn Mower: It now has about 10 hours of use and 7 cuttings to initially judge by. The terrain is mostly flat, however has multiple up and over berms, tree wells, pathways, drives, fence lines and outbuildings that extend mowing time required to complete the job. In total there is approximately 1-1/4 acres of actual grass that is fairly thick.

Bullet Points:
1.) Mowing requires 6 - 10Ah batteries which leave about 15% reserve.
2.) Mowed at 3-2/3rds inches height and cutting off about 2 to 3 inches (sometimes more) off each mowing.
3.) Both the Quality of the Cut and the Power of the Unit itself are great.
4.) Settings that work well for this application are: a.) Travel Speed at level "Three" b.) Blade Speed at level "Three" and c.) Sticks set on "Sport" which allows for quicker reverse actions.
5.) The weight adjustable Seat is very comfortable and there is a lot of adjustment (forward/aft) room available for tall people.
6.) Clean up of the Driveways and the Machine is a simple blow off with an EGO 650CFM Blower.
7.) Plug it in overnight, fully charged by morning, disconnect and it's ready for next weeks mowing.
8.) Have Set the Tire PSI at 20#'s Front and 4#'s Rear for better ride and traction.
9.) It Hasn't Scalped the lawn over the various terrain and Traction is Excellent so that the drive wheels do not tear up the lawn.
10.) No Gas, No Grease, No Smell, No Problems.
11.) All comment how quiet it is while mowing, I still like Ear Plugs to quiet down the Blade Whir.

Hope this helps.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Update on EGO's Z6 Zero Turn Lawn Mower: It now has about 10 hours of use and 7 cuttings to initially judge by. The terrain is mostly flat, however has multiple up and over berms, tree wells, pathways, drives, fence lines and outbuildings that extend mowing time required to complete the job. In total there is approximately 1-1/4 acres of actual grass that is fairly thick.

Bullet Points:
1.) Mowing requires 6 - 10Ah batteries which leave about 15% reserve.
2.) Mowed at 3-2/3rds inches height and cutting off about 2 to 3 inches (sometimes more) off each mowing.
3.) Both the Quality of the Cut and the Power of the Unit itself are great.
4.) Settings that work well for this application are: a.) Travel Speed at level "Three" b.) Blade Speed at level "Three" and c.) Sticks set on "Sport" which allows for quicker reverse actions.
5.) The weight adjustable Seat is very comfortable and there is a lot of adjustment (forward/aft) room available for tall people.
6.) Clean up of the Driveways and the Machine is a simple blow off with an EGO 650CFM Blower.
7.) Plug it in overnight, fully charged by morning, disconnect and it's ready for next weeks mowing.
8.) Have Set the Tire PSI at 20#'s Front and 4#'s Rear for better ride and traction.
9.) It Hasn't Scalped the lawn over the various terrain and Traction is Excellent so that the drive wheels do not tear up the lawn.
10.) No Gas, No Grease, No Smell, No Problems.
11.) All comment how quiet it is while mowing, I still like Ear Plugs to quiet down the Blade Whir.

Hope this helps.
No grease? Not even the blade spindle? Hope it lasts.
Sponsored