Eight Foot Bed On Cybertruck?

• Total voters

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
The entire community of RVers will prefer 8' over 6.5' beds... you have to have room there for the trailer to be able to be turned sharp. Also, most of the people who use work trucks will want the longer beds. Most of the trucks I see have the 8' bed around here but this isn't where most people live. So, you may have a point there. But, there are a LOT of people who need/prefer the longer bed.
From what I have observed by the little tally sheet, currently the folks that have responded really don't use or need a work truck, just something shiny to park on the driveway and collect ooos and ahhs from the neighbors. I rest my case.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Cr
Surface area. The more surface area exposed - especially the inside, which isn't designed to resist evaporation - the faster it dries out.

Since most of our firewood would be fir or similar, the round sizes would be pretty regular. You can tesselate triangles tighter than rounds.

-Crissa
Crissa, you never cease to amaze me…. Everything from efficiency of Electricity to splitting firewood (which by the way is an annual event at my cabin). I’ll definitely keep you in mind the next time I’m confronted with a question I can’t answer.?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Crissa, you never cease to amaze me…. Everything from efficiency of Electricity to splitting firewood (which by the way is an annual event at my cabin). I’ll definitely keep you in mind the next time I’m confronted with a question I can’t answer.?
I grew up in a house that had only wood heat! (Well, I had a radiant heater in the bathroom...) So I know the pain of being a kid and having to stack cord upon cord of firewood in the cold and rain... x-x

But the glow of a hot stove in the pre-dawn hours is something that I guess will always make me comforted ^-^

-Crissa

PS, I also know the embarrassment of being a teen and having to call the fire department because I accidentally triggered a flu fire and couldn't get it under control. It didn't escape, but having a jet engine in your attic is a bit frightening when you've been left home alone for the weekend...

RAmboss

First Name
Renato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
After seeing the prototype in person, I don't think there is any public lot on the planet where you could park the CT if you were to add another 1.5 feet to the bed. It's like half a meter longer than a Model S. That would make it pretty exclusive to work sites and commercial lots. It sits at 6.5 now and will likely go to 6 flat if the 3% body reduction is to be taken literally. I don't know where they'd get the space unless they were dipping into the wildly comfortable cabin. I think maybe a compromise is a hard steel backing to the rear seats allowing for an extra 2 feet in the pass through space between the bed and the cabin when the seats are laid flat. This is all just M.O. though. I'm super excited to drive the Tri Motor soon.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
After seeing the prototype in person, I don't think there is any public lot on the planet where you could park the CT if you were to add another 1.5 feet to the bed. It's like half a meter longer than a Model S. That would make it pretty exclusive to work sites and commercial lots. It sits at 6.5 now and will likely go to 6 flat if the 3% body reduction is to be taken literally. I don't know where they'd get the space unless they were dipping into the wildly comfortable cabin. I think maybe a compromise is a hard steel backing to the rear seats allowing for an extra 2 feet in the pass through space between the bed and the cabin when the seats are laid flat. This is all just M.O. though. I'm super excited to drive the Tri Motor soon.
Will you tell us more about what you saw? Quality of material used in the seats, dash, door panels? What did the inside of the truck look like? Was there carpet on the floor? What was the headliner like? Placement of air vents? Were there some for the rear seat occupants? Cup holders for drinks? How about a place to put a phone so it will charge itself while driving? Tented class? Man, you are lucky to see it for yourself I wish I was there.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
After seeing the prototype in person, I don't think there is any public lot on the planet where you could park the CT if you were to add another 1.5 feet to the bed. It's like half a meter longer than a Model S. That would make it pretty exclusive to work sites and commercial lots.
There are many standard Ford F-150 crew cab pickup trucks with 8ft bed.

It sits at 6.5 now and will likely go to 6 flat if the 3% body reduction is to be taken literally.
The overall body dimensions might have been reduced 3% does not mean the bed length changed. They could have taken all the length reduction from the frunk.

Last edited:

RAmboss

First Name
Renato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will you tell us more about what you saw? Quality of material used in the seats, dash, door panels? What did the inside of the truck look like? Was there carpet on the floor? What was the headliner like? Placement of air vents? Were there some for the rear seat occupants? Cup holders for drinks? How about a place to put a phone so it will charge itself while driving? Tented class? Man, you are lucky to see it for yourself I wish I was there.
It was a tremendous experience although limited as I didn't get to drive or sit in the drivers seat. I actually wrote a blog post about my experience if you are interested in hearing more. It is linked here.

RAmboss

First Name
Renato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The overall body dimensions might have been reduced 3% does not mean the bed length changed. The could have taken all the length reduction from the frunk.
The 3% reduction doesn't *necessarily* mean that the bed length has changed but it's rather unlikely that by undergoing that reduction that the bed somehow gets longer. In regards to the 8 ft bed trucks, however you slice it, finding and paying for parking in major cities with a car that large is insanely cumbersome. You'd be surprised how many apartment dwelling tech folks want this truck for basic passenger ownership and take that into consideration. The car was just on display in NYC and the reservations went up. For the workers and business owners using the truck for professional utility, parking is merely an expense and it doesn't matter but I think this thing is making a whole new market for trucks.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This just shows you don't know what you're talking about. The Avalanche and the Cybertruck have about as much in common as a dog and a cat. Sure, they both have a head, body and four legs.

The Avalanche had a payload capacity of 1300 lbs. before it was over loaded, the Cybertruck a whopping 3500 lbs. Not even in the same class. The Cybertruck's fully adjustable suspension can lower the bed while raising the front for loading/unloading of difficult items, the Avalanche can not. The Avalanche had a bed only 63.5" long - that's even smaller than the Ford Lightning's 5 1/2 feet. The Cybertruck has a 6 1/2 foot bed. The Cybertruck has a motorized metal roll-top cover for the vault that you can walk on, the Avalanche did not. All Cybertrucks come with a built-in air compressor and on-board power outlets (240V and 120V), the Avalanche did not. The Avalanche takes 7.5 seconds to 8.6 seconds to reach 60 mph while the Cybertruck can do it in less than 2.9 seconds to 6.5 seconds for the rear motor only $39K model. The Cybertruck has an exoskeleton made of unpainted rustproof steel, the Avalanche had a conventional flexy frame with a painted mild steel body on top.

I could go on and on but I think I've pointed out why the two trucks are not similar in form factor, construction, capability, durability, performance or features.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...Cybertruck has an exoskeleton made of unpainted rustproof steel, the Avalanche had a conventional flexy frame with a painted mild steel body on top.

I could go on and on but...
...You'd just show more how they're alike than they're different. They're both take-offs of what a truck can be, with a crew cab and covered payload.

The Cybertruck takes the unibody to its extreme conclusion, of course, and doesn't have the compromises the Avalanche had to make to get toward unibody design (like capacity, as you pointed out). The Ridgeline is actually unibody, but still compromised in capacity because of its motor limitations.

The Cybertruck goes to first-principles and skips the 'but we already have these parts' problem that GM tends to sandbag their designs with.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was a tremendous experience although limited as I didn't get to drive or sit in the drivers seat. I actually wrote a blog post about my experience if you are interested in hearing more. It is linked here.
Bravo Renato! That is the best and most colorfully descriptive first hand impression of the Cybertruck I have read to date! I thought I was reading something out of The Rolling Stone.

A must read!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ummm...no. Ford doesn't make a Crew Cab F-150 with an 8-foot bed. The longest F-150 is the SuperCab with an 8' foot bed. That's the version with little half-doors on the rear that open backwards (suicide doors). 8-foot beds are falling out of favor these days, even on many trucks used for work.

The longest bed you can get on the Crew Cab F-150 is 6.5 feet, same length as the Cybertruck.

The overall body dimensions might have been reduced 3% does not mean the bed length changed. The could have taken all the length reduction from the frunk.
I hope so. But even if they decided to shorten the bed a few inches with the redesign, it will still be longer than the longest bed available on the Ford Lightning (which is only 5 1/2 feet).

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Bravo Renato! That is the best and most colorfully descriptive first hand impression of the Cybertruck I have read to date! I thought I was reading something out of The Rolling Stone.

A must read!
I did read and yea it was well written. Still leaves a lot to the imagination of the interior of the truck. I’ve had the Chevy Avalanche and I had several Fords but I’ve never had a Tesla. I must admit the Ford has always impressed me with the quality of material and workmanship inside the truck. I’m going cross country in a couple weeks in my new Ford Hybrid and I’m gonna stop at the nearest Tesla dealer along my route to see for myself. I can imagine torque and horsepower as I’m very familiar with that but the interior/cabin noise can only be realized when driving it. The CT will most definitely turn heads when driving down the road but what’s it gonna be like while driving (or not) on the inside?
Sponsored