ELECTREK: Tesla Model S roof seen flying off in dashcam video, Tesla blames third-party shop

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tesla Model S roof seen flying off in dashcam video, Tesla blames third-party shop

For the second time in two months, the roof of a Tesla vehicle was caught on video flying off while driving.

But this time, it’s a Model S and Tesla puts the blame with a third-party repair shop.

Last month, we reported on an instance where the roof of a brand-new Tesla Model Y flew off as the owner was driving it home.

We saw a video of the Model Y driving without a roof after the fact, but we now get to see what it looks like when a roof flies off a Tesla vehicle live.

A Tesla Model S owner in China posted a video of the roof flying off the vehicle while doing some questionable driving with another vehicle.

Here’s the strange video taken from Weibo:

In the case of the Model Y, Tesla told owners that there was a small batch of Model Ys with a potential problem with the roof.

But when it comes to this vehicle in China, it appears to be a problem with a third-party shop that replaced the roof, though Tesla is still investigating.

Tesla commented through its support account on Weibo (translated with Google Translate):

We have contacted the owner of the car as soon as possible and are helping the owner solve the problem as soon as possible. After preliminary investigations, the vehicle had undergone roof glass replacement at a third-party authorized repair center. We are currently investigating the cause of the incident.
The automaker didn’t name the third-party repair shop that did the roof replacement. We don’t have their side of the story.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
OK. So based on this video, my guess is that for anyone who wants to have a metal roof, all you need to do is cut a piece of metal to fit the dimensions of the overhead glass and replace the glass with your metal insert. I bet you could even get a customization shop to do it for you.

Just make sure they get it attached securely though. Don't want it to fly off while you are driving.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla Model S roof seen flying off in dashcam video, Tesla blames third-party shop

For the second time in two months, the roof of a Tesla vehicle was caught on video flying off while driving.
OK. So based on this video, my guess is that for anyone who wants to have a metal roof, all you need to do is cut a piece of metal to fit the dimensions of the overhead glass and replace the glass with your metal insert. I bet you could even get a customization shop to do it for you.
Even Tesla demo had TWO broken windows during the worldwide introduction, showed that glass has more failure scenarios than 3mm cold rolled stainless steel.

In Tesla forums there are many reports of leaky glass roofs with Tesla cars.

My self and many others want the Cybertruck for the extra durable stainless steel body.
A glass roof, even armor glass roof, is significantly less durable than 3mm cold rolled stainless steel.

Armor glass roof will crack long before 3mm cold rolled stainless steel is damaged enough that the steel is required to be replaced.

Glass roof goes against the stated purpose of having a 3mm cold rolled stainless steel body.
Super long-term durability

If you actual needed the Cybertruck in an apocalypse, after the tires, the next weak point would be the glass. You simple do not put glass where it is not needed.

Glass roof is for tourists & sightseers.
Tools are to get things done. A lot of us want Cybertruck as a tool.

I do not care if Tesla puts glass roof on all their luxury cars. Luxury cars are a luxury.
To many, Cybertruck looks to be one of the best tools to appear on the market in a long time.

But for for those that want to use Cybertruck as a work truck there should be a factory option for 3mm cold rolled stainless steel roof.

Just make sure they get it attached securely though. Don't want it to fly off while you are driving.
This new case is exactly why metal roof should be a factory option. I should not have to worry that a third party shop did the job right to fix a problem that should never have been there.
Also worry about voiding warranty on an expensive too.

And you still have issues with glass roof
1. extra heat in cabin & battery drain of needed extra cooling.
2. attachment of accessories (inside & outside)
3. radio antenna performance.
4. damage from falling objects like rocks, bricks, and many more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This new case is exactly why metal roof should be a factory option. I should not have to worry that a third party shop did the job right to fix a problem that should never have been there.
Have you tried asking Elon for this? He is the ultimate arbiter I would imagine.

I'm just saying that no matter what happens, you will at least have an option. Customization fixes the issue for you in the case that Elon does not take up your case.

'Nuff said.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The piece of metal would have to have stiffening, insulation, and then isolation from the frame so forces aren't transmitted above what the glass would have.

It's totally possible, but someone doesn't like that idea, Or want to accept that it would be a more expensive option.

Windows are weirdly cheap per sqft; mostly because they're insulated single pieces. It's the per frame that gets ya, but a Tesla will already have that.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The piece of metal would have to have stiffening, insulation, and then isolation from the frame so forces aren't transmitted above what the glass would have.
None of what you said is required any more than with glass roof.
Metal can flex & stretch to absorb shock too.

Welding a metal piece in or just making the top half of truck as one piece is less expensive to make than a metal body & compensating extra framing for an opening, mounting/sealing a glass roof.
Welded or one piece metal roof is much less leak prone than a glass roof.
Glass roof allows more heat from sunlight to enter the cabin. Tinting reduces but does not eliminate all extra heating. If truck is used in Southwestern U.S. and Mexico(or similar sunny locations), it is much easier & cheaper to insulate a metal roof to reduce battery drain from the extra air conditioner load.
Battery energy density is better but today we still need to worry about every little extra drain on the battery. If towing we do not have any to waste.
Every month Tesla spends engineering time to reduce energy usage 1% here another 1% there. These things add up.

Or want to accept that it would be a more expensive option.
There is absolutely no evidence that glass roof will be less expensive.

Openings in walls (windows, doorways, glass roofs) always make a structure weaker. You always
have to reinforce the opening area. It is easier, less costly, and stronger to not have an opening.
Yacht buyers are always asking for rectangular windows like in building instead of small round port holes most boats have. The reason boat builders prefer round port holes is because they are much stronger & much less prone to leak than rectangular windows.
There is a reason nobody builds a tank with extra windows.

Windows are weirdly cheap per sqft; mostly because they're insulated single pieces. It's the per frame that gets ya, but a Tesla will already have that.
If the armor glass roof is cheaper than steel it is because the glass is too thin to provide the same level of impact protection & durability as 3mm cold rolled stainless steel.

The armor roof might be more scratch resistant but it is not more impact resistant without cracking.

Armor glass cracks way before 3mm cold rolled stainless steel and that cracking will cost owners directly of indirectly (insurance).

It's totally possible, but someone doesn't like that idea, Or want to accept that it would be a more expensive option.

-Crissa
Windows need extra reinforced frames. Walls & roofs with no openings need less framing than when window openings or skylights are added to the design.

If glass roof is simpler and cheaper why was metal roof the $0 default on Model S, glass roof $1,500 option & panoramic sunroof $2,000.

Years later, Tesla made glass roof the default and only option on Model S but raised the price of the Model S by couple thousand dollars. Tesla removed the less expensive metal roof but had to raise car price to cover inclusion of the more expensive glass roof.

As a business case I can easily understand that in a luxury car. Most buyers of luxury car probably selected glass roof. But Tesla still had to raise price of car to include the more expensive glass roof. Yes, Tesla gained a little by going from two options to only one options but that does not make the one option cheaper than if the metal roof was the only option. The loss was customers who did not want glass roof being forced to accept glass roof if they wanted other benefits of Tesla model. These buyers also suffer higher long-term costs without any compensating values they desired.

Cybertruck has two uses, work truck & recreation. Recreation is recreation does not need to be rational. Business does what is best for the bottom line. Most businesses looking at Cybertruck easily see that glass roof has much higher TCO, and glass roof makes it harder & more expensive to mount business required accessories.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The piece of metal would have to have stiffening, ....., and then isolation from the frame so forces aren't transmitted above what the glass would have.
That is whole purpose of exoskeleton.

Yes, cars made with thin lightweight aluminum roof might need extra bracing in middle.

But Cybertruck is 3mm cold rolled stainless steel plate.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
to Firsttruck: the was a loverly passenger jet, Comet I think? and it had almost square windows. Real bad idea. They kept popping out. They stopped flying them!
Looked good though!

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This dang metal roof argument again...

You know what! I want the cybertruck roof to be made of Bubbles, Bubbles are cheap and if it pops you just blow a new one.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
to Firsttruck: the was a loverly passenger jet, Comet I think? and it had almost square windows. Real bad idea. They kept popping out. They stopped flying them!
Looked good though!
That wasn't the only issue! They built the engines into the wings and the stress from jet-flight flexing made their airframes eventually crack.

That's why modern commercial jets use pod engines: Isolates the vibrations from the air frame and makes them more easily cycled out when they need repair instead of junking the whole plane.

-Crissa

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
But the cybertruck ultimately is a luxury vehicle, one cosplaying as a zombie apocalypse vehicle at least. It’s for the demographic that loves the idea of surviving doomsday but will inevitably spend their years mall crawling like the rest of us. This could be a whole thread, but I’ve been around enough job sites to know that if you’re looking for a real work truck that you can beat to hell for 200,000+ miles, the cybertruck is not your first choice.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
But the cybertruck ultimately is a luxury vehicle, one cosplaying as a zombie apocalypse vehicle at least. It’s for the demographic that loves the idea of surviving doomsday but will inevitably spend their years mall crawling like the rest of us. This could be a whole thread, but I’ve been around enough job sites to know that if you’re looking for a real work truck that you can beat to hell for 200,000+ miles, the cybertruck is not your first choice.
For many of us this is no play.
This is business. Many heavy-duty trailers are made of stainless steel.
Want to have same durability in business/work truck.
Many trucks are out in public and are an exhibition for the business. Scratched paint and scuffed fenders is not a good look for the business. The no paint, parking lot dent resistant fenders would be great. Just that will save businesses thousands in body repair costs. And then the fuel saving and lower maintenance.
Cybertruck is no joke to us business folks.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla Truck Review by Real Truck Guy
In this video I deliver a Tesla Truck Review by Real Truck Guy. I'm a Truck Guy. My Wife is a Truck Gal. I've been working in the landscape business for more than 20 years and our current fleet includes 7 pickup trucks.
I use mine for work and off-roading and I got sick and tired of watching non truck people review the new Tesla Cybertruck. This was the video that started me on my YouTube journey. Quality isn't so great but the message is still solid. Thanks for watching.
Jan 24, 2020

Doug DeMuro Cybertruck Review Response
Cybertruck Truck Guy
Jan 31, 2020

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Holy cow, how many replies? I hadn't looked. Let's see...

That is whole purpose of exoskeleton.
You don't know what an exoskeleton is. It's not an infinitely strong structure that can take pressure from the edges that wasn't planned on.

Have you ever examined the inside of a crab? That's a exoskeleton. But it has stiffening shapes to create the rigidity and direct forces away from joints.

None of what you said is required any more than with glass roof.
Metal can flex & stretch to absorb shock too.
A single, flat piece of metal will flex and transmit shocks. I said as much. It will also transmit all the noise and radiant heat that it's exposed to. Metal is great at that. Glass less so.

Welding a metal piece in or just making the top half of truck as one piece is less expensive...
That is not all that will be required. You may be qualified to weld, but no one should allow you to just weld metal onto things willy-nilly. It will not be 'cheaper' if the default isn't it. Also, stainless steel is not always cheaper than glass per square inch. And that's not counting the things you need to add to steel to make it as stiff and insulated as laminated glass just is.

...to make than a metal body & compensating extra framing for an opening, mounting/sealing a glass roof.
Welded or one piece metal roof is much less leak prone than a glass roof.
That's... No. Glazing (the seal around a window) is faster/cheaper than welding. You do it in two strokes. Essentially it's a glue.

Glass roof allows more heat...
No, not true. Glass is a wonderful insulator. Just ask anyone who's tried to make a solar oven. Pro tip: Don't use auto glass. You're better off with black iron.

There is absolutely no evidence that glass roof will be less expensive.
I never said it would be. I said glass is the default design.

...And not as expensive as you seem to think.

Openings in walls (windows, doorways, glass roofs) always make a structure weaker.
...Because a solid shape transmits shocks to the remainder of the structure. Which you have to design for. You can't just weld a piece of metal in place.

If the armor glass roof is cheaper than steel it is because the glass is too thin to provide the same level of impact protection & durability as 3mm cold rolled stainless steel.
The two materials are vastly different and do different jobs. Tesla has never said their armor glass is as strong as the steel. They didn't take the sledgehammer to it.

If glass roof is simpler and cheaper why was metal roof the $0 default on Model S...
Which roof was it initially designed to have?

That's your answer.

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This dang metal roof argument again...

You know what! I want the cybertruck roof to be made of Bubbles, Bubbles are cheap and if it pops you just blow a new one.
LOL. Sign me up for the bubble top!!

Given the past conversation, I thought the video would be a good way to show that the glass was just replaceable. Not necessarily advisable but at least possible. But I underestimated the persistence of the metal roof thread... Lesson learned.
Sponsored